Sega Saturn collecting thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Fightersmegamix

Sega Saturn collecting thread

Post by Fightersmegamix » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:03 pm

The staurn is one of the few consoles I collect for. It's the only console I have more Japanese games for than Pal. What I love about saturn collecting is that it offers everything. If you want a cheap start you can pick up a UK console for £20 and great games like sega rally and VF2 for a quid each. For a fiver there's all sorts of good stuff if you know where to look. At the opposite end of the scale are expensive shmups and obscure Japanese curiosities, and of course panzer dragoon saga. A lot of people get the impression that a Japanese saturn is an expensive machine, but just like the Pal version there are plenty of bargains. I picked up deep fear, layer section and both nights games for £2.50 each.

There are all sorts of periphals, arcade sticks, special edition consoles and a great official magazine. The console itself has all sorts of quirks, from the battery back up on board memory to the bizzare cartridge slot on a CD machine. I just love the saturn.

My collection is nowhere near complete. I've probably made a few mistakes collecting as I left a lot of the expensive games like radiant silvergun and panzer dragoon saga until the end, when I should have just taken the plunge with at least one. I have got some gems though, like shining force 3 and burning rangers. Still plenty of others to buy, the clockwork night games are next on my list.

I've probably got about 70 games and a UK and Jap console.

I'm starting this thread to try and spread the saturn love, establish a good list of games to start off your collection and recommend your favourites. Feel free to list your collection, I'll add some photo's if I ever get round to using flicker.

The Laird

Re: Sega Saturn collecting thread

Post by The Laird » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:09 pm

My Saturn is currently broken and I don't think I will be able to fix it this time so I need to get another but have about 3/4 of the PAL library now maybe more, I am only really missing the super expensive stuff. I love the Saturn its my favourite console so I definately need to sort this out sooner rather than later.

I also just got the Action Replay (finally!) to play imports and I am almost afraid what I am going to spend on imports going forward :lol:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:17 pm

I used to collect for it now my collection is this....

Theres so few games I want on it and thats a bit strange as I like the machine

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:38 pm

DPrinny wrote:I used to collect for it now my collection is this....

Theres so few games I want on it and thats a bit strange as I like the machine

Thats a mighty fine collection of good games you have there.I did consider getting a Jap one and collecting for that when i have finished the xbox collection.I had a PAl one but the games i had just never got me excited.The jap fighters and Shooters look great and wouldn't take up loads of space.They are just so damn expensive though.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:08 pm

Only games I like (And Crypt Killer) are in my collection.
I do have some Jap games (Xmen vs Street fighter, King of fighters 97 and errrr), but never play them

ironmonger

Post by ironmonger » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:27 am

The Saturn is my favourite console and home to the biggest portion of my collection with just under 140 Pal games for it. I've got a few of the pricey Pal titles - PDS, Shining Force 3, Deep Fear, Street Fighter Collection, Guardian Heroes etc but there are still a lot of games I really want to get hold of. I've been thinking about getting hold of an import Saturn or possibly a switchless mod conversion from Consolepassion, as I've never played any import Saturn games! :oops:

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:33 am

The stuff I've kept on Saturn is mostly stuff they said "couldn't be done" like Exhumed, Quake, Virtua Cop, Duke Nukem, etc. I still get great pleasure from remembering showing them off to my PS owning mates. :lol:

Then I bought a PS myself and finally joined the Cult of SOny. Damn you sexy-looking FFVII :oops:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:09 am

ironmonger wrote:I've been thinking about getting hold of an import Saturn or possibly a switchless mod conversion from Consolepassion, as I've never played any import Saturn games! :oops:
I still havn't either but as I said above I just got the Action Replay cart, this is all you need to play import games. You don't need to mod the system or get a Jap one. I got mine from Amazon as they seem to be a lot cheaper there than on eBay.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:49 am

I like the satrun but there isn't much for me to buy there are some games I am after like Die Hard Arcade and Burning Rangers but they are expensive, I have an import adaptor but no imports that I currenly want to play. In terms of exclusives the console is a bit week. 3D arecade games I'll play because they won't run on MAME but everything else I'd rather play the better arcade originals.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:47 am

Freestyler wrote:The stuff I've kept on Saturn is mostly stuff they said "couldn't be done" like Exhumed, Quake, Virtua Cop, Duke Nukem, etc. I still get great pleasure from remembering showing them off to my PS owning mates. :lol:

Then I bought a PS myself and finally joined the Cult of SOny. Damn you sexy-looking FFVII :oops:
Oh I have Virtual cop 1/2 and house of the dead(in normal CD cases)

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:16 pm

Virtua cop and the big blue gun. I got the box set, not got house of the dead yet though. The conversion of HotD was meant to be a bit rough, but it never got converted to another home format so it's the only version available.
GigaPepsiMan wrote:In terms of exclusives the console is a bit week
There are lots of exclusives, more than most consoles, its just a lot of them were only released in Japan.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Anyone got both the 1mb and 4mb RAM expansions? I still have Marvel Super Heroes, but it's RAMless. :cry:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:01 pm

Saturn is the only sega console i havent owned. Not many of the big commercial releases for it interested me too much, but id like to get hold of one some day since all i hear about it is praise on here.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:30 pm

mmm

Not owning a Saturn is criminal!
Logged out 15/07/2014.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:35 pm

But my room is tiny and im running out of space!
Its also hard trying to divide my time between all the consoles i do own. So many games to play, so little time.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!