Looking for Amiga recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

The Last Ginja

Looking for Amiga recommendations

Post by The Last Ginja » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:04 pm

As the title says I'm looking for some game to play on the Amiga.

Ignore all the usual Sensi Soccer/Golf, Lemmings, SOTB etc as I've played them already and Arcade conversions(that's what Mame is for!) I didn't have an Amiga back in the day, so if you could just name your top 5/10 that I really should play, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers.

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:23 pm

Well I would say you'd be mad not to have at least tried 'It Came From The Desert' (as featured in this month's RG) but I guess that was one of the first ones you tried if you hadn't already played it before.

I won't bore you with the usual Monkey Island/Sensi/Lemmings obvious stuff (like you said) so may I suggest the following?

If you like football management games, but don't like heavy stats or long boring games, then 'Premier Manager' is the game to play. It's simple, easy to use and can finish a season in a couple of fun hours.

If you're looking for a fun two player game you couldn't do much better than a little PD game called 'Extreme Violence'. It's great fun for two people where you basically have to hunt one another down and shot each other. Simple and addictive. Another PD game to keep an eye open for is 'Bi Planes'. The name is self explanitory and the game is GREAT!

For now, I will also suggest you try 'Moonstone'. Sure it's bugged somewhat, but it's one of the greatest games ever and you've never been scared in a game until you've been pounced on by a mud monster jumping out of the ground and dragging you under, or being faced against three massive ogres with trees for clubs.

Enjoy.
Last edited by Robbo on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delboy

Post by Delboy » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:23 pm

Wow so many choices, here are a few of my favourites & which I feel work very well on the Amiga.

It came from the desert, Super Frog, The lost Vikings, Universal Warrior, Black Crypt, Pinball Dreams, K240, Gods, Hired Guns, (great multiplay) , Pushover, Swiv.

Oops that`s eleven!

Damn yes how did I forget Moonstone? :?
Last edited by Delboy on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dark Reaper

Post by Dark Reaper » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:24 pm

A few games that I enjoy, in no particular order...

Waxworks A semi-sequel to the old Elvira RPGs (which are also worth a look).
Agony A decent shooter with an excellent soundtrack.
Sleepwalker The Comic Relief game & an excellent action/puzzler.
Pushover The remake featured a couple of issues ago.
It Came From The Desert / Antheads As featured in the last issue.
Heimdall 1 & 2 Viking flavoured RPGs.

And, of course, anything by Team 17 or The Bitmap Brothers! :D

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:25 pm

I'll go with a few of the more esoteric suggestions, some personal faves that didn't turn up on consoles or what have you:

Tower of Babel
Damocles
Captain Blood
Interphase
Rock 'n Roll
Hired Guns
No Second Prize
Deuteros

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:27 pm

Obvious but what the heck...

Anything from Cinemaware
North and South

P-Head

Re:

Post by P-Head » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:59 pm

Robbo wrote:a little PD game called 'Extreme Violence'. It's great fun for two people where you basically have to hunt one another down and shot each other. Simple and addictive. Another PD game to keep an eye open for is 'Bi Planes'. The name is self explanitory and the game is GREAT!
Both awesome games.

I'd recommend:

Hunter
Utopia
Datastorm
Stunt Car Racer
Last edited by P-Head on Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:02 pm

Top 5? Most of these games probably require some previous knowledge, so may not work very well for 'pick up and play' purposes.

Midwinter 2 (slow now, perhaps too slow to be playable - but in the day it was awesome).

Wings (Yep, anything by Cinemaware, but Wings has the advantage of being very easy to figure out how to play)

Eye of the Beholder

Supercars 2

My fifth choice would be emmm...Pirates! No, how about Harlequin...or Leander. No, forget that. Maybe Heimdall or Hired Guns or Legends of Valor or Gods. Actually, possibly Lotus 3. Or Moonstone. Or Mega-Lo-Mania. Or Perihelion.

Look, the Amiga has loads of awesome games. Let's just leave it at that.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

P-Head

Post by P-Head » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:04 pm

SimBrick 8)

roberthazelby

Post by roberthazelby » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:04 pm

Ok, some slightly more unusual titles to recommend...

Quik and Silva (nice platform game with cracking music by Chris Huelsbeck)
Qix (superb conversion of the arcade game, with catchy tunes)
Elf (Platformer from Ocean. Great graphics and music)

Enjoy!

Rob
Xbox Live: roberthazelby | The Retro Ranch | The Retro Ranch Blog

The New Guy

Post by The New Guy » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:10 pm

Here's a few games I really enjoyed, while trying to ignore the more obvious ones and the ones that have been said already.

Celtic Legends: One of my all time favourite games, although it doesn't seem to have much of a profile these days. You control a wizard who needs to build up an army to take on the forces from an evil wizard. Combat is over a grid-based system with different terrain types having some different effects.

Champions of Krynn: The first in the Gold Box series of games and a game that I was very addicted to for a very long time. Still fun even now and still my favourite RPG combat system.

Skidmarks: A brilliant top down racing game. Not much more to say, but it's still great fun to have a blast around the tracks.

D-Generation: Fun little action adventure type game. You're a delivery man who arrives at some genetic research facility to find something has gone terribly wrong and you need to find out what. A lot of puzzle elements and really a lot of fun.

Floor 13: Actually better on the PC due to the slow load times, but I originally played it on the Amiga and want to recommend it.

Locomotion: Great little game where you need to get trains from one station to the other. Simple but addictive.

Shufflepuck Cafe: Great little air hockey type game.

Goblins 1, 2, or 3: A series of strange little puzzle games that twist your mind in odd ways.

I could go on and on, but that's probably enough. :)
I'd highly recommend Little Computer People, Archon, Marble Madness, anything in the Dizzy series and many more though. Mad Bomber and Jump 'N' Roll for some good PD fun too.

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:18 am

Alien Breed, Alien Breed 2 and Alien Breed Tower Assault - top down action game, inspired by the Alien movies. Excellent in 2-player mode and not much worse in single player. Fantastic graphics, as usual from Team 17.

Ruff'n'Tumble - fantastic scrolling shoot'em up platformer. Incredible graphics that outperforms even Sonic imo, and this on an Amiga 500! Probably the most impressive graphics on the A500, next to Lionheart.

Moonstone - one of the best games ever made. Short, but fun as hell, and great graphics and attention to detail. Very gory, even by todays standard. Hack and slash multiplayer up to four players. One map, one player in each corner, attack marked areas to find keys. Beware of the dragon.

Indy Heat - addictive top down, single screen racing. Indy version of Super Sprint, so to speak. Up to three players.

Cruise for a Corpse - Delphine Software, so you know it'll be good. Great Agatha Christie-style point'n'click adventure game with wonderful graphics, story and music. You're an Inspector, invited on a cruise with several other person. Owner gets killed, can you find the killer? Question everyone, several times and evaluate the clues - everyone has a motive, but who did the deed?

Dreamweb - cyberpunk point'n'click adventure game. You are the chosen one to kill certain important persons. Mature theme, moody setting, great atmosphere. I love it.

Elvira - Save Elvira from the clutches of the Emelda and her beastly minions. Scary as hell, excellent atmosphere. RPG, where you only control yourself in first person. One of the first survival horrors, I believe.

Pinball Dreams/Fantasies/Illusions and Slamtilt - Pinball, can't be any more specific. These are probably the best pinball games ever made.

Project X - roll over R-Type. Fantastic graphics, great gameplay, hard as steel. Only the very few manage to complete this game. Heck, most don't even survive the first level.

Full Contact - Yie Ar Kung Fu Team 17 style. Nice graphics, great atmosphere. How far can you get? Includes trials inbetween the fights where you upgrade your stats. Also great in multiplayer

All Terrain Racing - great multiplayer top down scrolling racing game with different types of vehicles.

Overdrive - the prequel to All Terrain Racing. Unfortunately not multiplayer unless linked, but vastly superiour to ATR nonetheless.

Lionheart - like Shadow of the Beast but with gameplay (gasp!) and even better graphics (gasp!). Great example of how to make 32 colours look like 256. Biggest technical achievement on the Amiga 500 (along with Ruff'n'Tumble), and a great game too.

Cannon Fodder - can you be without it? Seriously? Control a group of your best men and fight your way through the levels. Addictive and tough, when you get far enough.
Last edited by StarEye on Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

CrookedMouth

Post by CrookedMouth » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:26 am

Vyper (1988)(Topdown Development) very fast invasion game, awsome.

Starglider (1987)(Rainbird) probably you played it, but hey.

Phantasie III - The Wrath of Nikademus (1987)(SSI) simple but addictive rpg

Larn and Moria (both are Rogue-alikes , but they do it well)

BattleTech - The Crescent Hawks Inception (1988)(Infocom)

Breach (1987)(Artronic)[cr British Bulldogs] turned based strategy

Ganymed (1988)(Euroline)[cr Trilogy] It's a clone of Empire strikes back on the 2600 but what fun.

Swords of Twilight (1989)(Electronic Arts) kind of clunky but massive rpg from the people who did Archon

Ebonstar (1988)(MicroIllusions) strange shoot-em-up

Epic (1992)(Ocean)[cr FSN] 3d wing commander

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:30 am

Guy, if people ask questions like this, it's usually a good idea to give at least a line per game.

At the risk of picking on StarEye (which is tempting because ATR was an abortion), his list is next to useless because in most cases it's not even obvious what kind of game we're talking.

(stareye was cool enough to edit in some blurb after I made this post, which is why his looks good)
Last edited by Dudley on Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:17 am

There has to be a Cinemaware game in there-try King Of Chicago

Any Lucasarts Graphic Adventure - Monkey Island 1 is one of the best

Pirates! is one of my all-time favourites.An incredibly addictive sailing/combat game

For RPG look no further than Dungeon Master

Conflict Europe is a superb WW3 strategy game-very tense!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"