FM Towns Marty

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

WildWillyWilson

FM Towns Marty

Post by WildWillyWilson » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:49 pm

Reading the Obscura Machina feature last month it mentioned that the machine outputs via S Video- does anyone know if it can be RGB modded?

retrojc

Re: FM Towns Marty

Post by retrojc » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:12 pm

i wouldn't dare mod mine. They're far to expensive to replace

WildWillyWilson

Post by WildWillyWilson » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:24 pm

retrojc wrote:i wouldn't dare mod mine. They're far to expensive to replace
Is S Video the only way to connect from stock? I'm thinking of getting one in the future and my TV doesnt have an S Video input...

EDIT: Composite as well it seems. Thinking out loud my Maplin RGB Splitter has an S Video input- think if I connect the Marty to that then I can run it through my TV using a SCART lead.

Better get saving...

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:03 pm

Why bother with real hardware if you're not getting RGB? ;3

Doesn't look as if there is a way of getting RGB, unless it just hasn't been explore. I'm sure you could from the video chip like you can on the PC Engine..

Got me interested now..
Logged out 15/07/2014.

F-zero

Post by F-zero » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:56 am

I would be very surprised if your t.v doesn't support s-video through your AV2 scart imput.
You'll just need an s-video to scart adapter which you can get on ebay for very little.
Flick through your Av channels and see if an "S" appears and that should confirm that s-video is supported.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:04 am

WildWillyWilson wrote:
Better get saving...
And the rest! Cost of the console (£250-300 before shipping/fees) is just the tip of the iceberg. Games like Splatterhouse, Truxton II go for the same amount themselves. There aren't many games for it in the first place, with perhaps 10-15 english friendly ones - all of which go for £80-£300. Even then they are all mostly ports - why pay £300 for splatterhouse when its perfectly ported on numerous other systems?? Alltynex and Shooting Towns are the only original games I can think of.Then there are compatibility problems with some games and high likelihood of needing to replace the belt on the floppy drive.

You could get an FM Towns computer as they output RGB, and they will be a hell of a lot cheaper. Most will function exactly the same as a marty, you'll just need more space. My FM Towns IIUG cost £200 all in via Yahoo Japan, and got Raiden with it which is about £100 on its own. Seeing as there weren't any affordable games it soon got sold, as did the Car Marty which I picked up cheap.

If you want to get an obscure japanese computer I'd say get an X68000. Cost of the machine is about the same, but tons of great playable games, and mostly cheap. The FM Towns is superior (CD redbook music/sounds, 32 bit) but you have to be prepared to pay about £500 for the console and one or two decent games. Madness, IMO.

Try out the emulator UNZ though.

What was the article generally saying about it? I missed that issue. I find the way some people hold the marty in reverence bizarre, like the RG buyers guide description, probably just trying to justify the cost :lol:

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:33 am

In truth, if i was working full time i'd have picked up an msx, the library is far more appealing.

However, the fm towns Puzzle Bobble cover is one fo my all time favourires, not to mention street fighter 2's port.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:51 am

Yeah, I'm after a Sharp X68000.. I'll probably save and get a high end model though if I can. Then fees and postage.. Sigh.
Logged out 15/07/2014.