Why the Amstrad was gaming's best 8-bit computer

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Post Reply
User avatar
joefish
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: Why the Amstrad was gaming's best 8-bit computer

Post by joefish » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:43 am

And Space Harrier on the Amstrad had outline vector graphics instead of those ugly scaling sprites all the other conversions wasted their time with. You didn't see that sort of fine definition in Space Harrier until all those SEGA arcade games were re-vamped for that sterling and highly praised (ahem) set of 'updated' conversions, SEGA Classics Collection for the PS2, now did you? Clearly the Amstrad was years ahead of its time in terms of arcade conversions by aspiring to the quality and impact of that gem for the PS2.

User avatar
TheDude18
Posts: 1858
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:13 am
Location: South Wales

Re: Why the Amstrad was gaming's best 8-bit computer

Post by TheDude18 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:17 am

The Amstrad was a fantastic 8 bit computer...........................at separating social classes. Especially if you were ultra posh and had a colour monitor.

I did like Grand Prix Simulator on it though.
Image

User avatar
c0nfu53d
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: Why the Amstrad was gaming's best 8-bit computer

Post by c0nfu53d » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:03 am

kiwimike wrote:
c0nfu53d wrote:Amstrads were far better machines than spectrums or C64s.

Take a team of coders/artists/Sound and music composers at their peak, who are CPC fans and give them 6mths and unlimited budget to create a gaming masterpiece. Do the same for spectrum and C64 and the results would be the CPC team wiping the floor with the other two "efforts".

*
Atari eight bits, C64, Spectrum, Apple, even the Sega computers with it's cartridge software- all utterly smoked it.

Really? Have you been drinking? :D None of those machines really came close to the Amstrad except in maybe sales terms. So yes, Speccy and C64 sold more than the CPC but thats to do with the fact they were cheaper not in that they were better. In terms of quality vs quantity the CPC games wiped the floor with the C64 and most definatly the spectrum.

Ever heard the phrase "*insert game name here* was really good on the humble speccy"? Or something similer? Humble is the word, censored is another lol

User avatar
Juggernaut Headcrush
Posts: 469
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:34 am
Location: A baw-hair away fae Glesga.
Contact:

Re: Why the Amstrad was gaming's best 8-bit computer

Post by Juggernaut Headcrush » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:13 am

I have to say, as a Speccy man, if someone were to offer me the choice of an Amstrad or a C64, I'd rather have the Amstrad, simply out of curiosity; I know nothing about any Amstrad specific/born games.
Image

User avatar
slacey1070
Posts: 2850
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:20 am

Re: Why the Amstrad was gaming's best 8-bit computer

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:16 am

.... when compared to a Jupiter Ace
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

User avatar
Kai
Posts: 682
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:19 am
Location: Kiel, Germany

Re: Why the Amstrad was gaming's best 8-bit computer

Post by Kai » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:52 am

There's definitely a typo in there (a "not" must be missing). Because the C64 was easily gaming's best 8-bit computer! End of discussion. :mrgreen:
Image

User avatar
Mootown
Posts: 3853
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:33 am
Location: Blacktooth Castle, Basingstoke...
Contact:

Re: Why the Amstrad was gaming's best 8-bit computer

Post by Mootown » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:55 am

I had an Amstrad. But I was always secretly gutted I didn't have a C64.

User avatar
TMR
Posts: 5756
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:56 am
Location: Leeds, U.K.
Contact:

Re: Why the Amstrad was gaming's best 8-bit computer

Post by TMR » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:49 pm

c0nfu53d wrote:Really? Have you been drinking? :D None of those machines really came close to the Amstrad except in maybe sales terms. So yes, Speccy and C64 sold more than the CPC but thats to do with the fact they were cheaper not in that they were better. In terms of quality vs quantity the CPC games wiped the floor with the C64 and most definatly the spectrum.
And in this dimension, the reverse is true. Welcome, by the way. =-)

User avatar
ivarf
Posts: 884
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:08 am
Location: Norway

Re: Why the Amstrad was gaming's best 8-bit computer

Post by ivarf » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:05 pm

TheDude18 wrote:The Amstrad was a fantastic 8 bit computer...........................at separating social classes. Especially if you were ultra posh and had a colour monitor.
Too bad UK, has/had that problem with classes. Historically Norway has been a poor country like Ireland. Because of this we don't have the same problem with classes as the UK. How is this in other parts of Europe?

There are more Norwegians in the USA than in Norway - many left Norway hoping for a better life.

User avatar
joefish
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: Why the Amstrad was gaming's best 8-bit computer

Post by joefish » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:28 pm

TMR wrote:And in this dimension, the reverse is true. Welcome, by the way. =-)
You'll never get off the back pages with that attitude towards the Amstrad... :lol:

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7630
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Re: Why the Amstrad was gaming's best 8-bit computer

Post by Shinobi » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:30 pm

The only good game on the Amstrad was Sorcery:)
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

kiwimike
Posts: 3696
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Why the Amstrad was gaming's best 8-bit computer

Post by kiwimike » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:21 am

c0nfu53d wrote:
kiwimike wrote:
c0nfu53d wrote:Amstrads were far better machines than spectrums or C64s.

Take a team of coders/artists/Sound and music composers at their peak, who are CPC fans and give them 6mths and unlimited budget to create a gaming masterpiece. Do the same for spectrum and C64 and the results would be the CPC team wiping the floor with the other two "efforts".

*
Atari eight bits, C64, Spectrum, Apple, even the Sega computers with it's cartridge software- all utterly smoked it.

Really? Have you been drinking? :D None of those machines really came close to the Amstrad except in maybe sales terms. So yes, Speccy and C64 sold more than the CPC but thats to do with the fact they were cheaper not in that they were better. In terms of quality vs quantity the CPC games wiped the floor with the C64 and most definatly the spectrum.

Ever heard the phrase "*insert game name here* was really good on the humble speccy"? Or something similer? Humble is the word, censored is another lol
:lol: Dude, I don't know what to say. But those rose tinted glasses must have cost a fortune :wink: I'm not saying the Amstrad was bad in hardware terms...but in order to compete for best 8 bit gaming crown it had to be utilised. It wasn't.Feel free to do a comparison, a title for title reason why the Amstrad was so much better. :)

User avatar
pantal00ns
Posts: 3647
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:20 am
Location: Waaayy down south

Re: Why the Amstrad was gaming's best 8-bit computer

Post by pantal00ns » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:26 am

kiwimike wrote:Feel free to do a comparison, a title for title reason why the Amstrad was so much better. :)
This could lead to severe complications, instead compare via anagrams

1) Commodore
2) Spectrum
3) Amstrud

Answer
Or commode - Preference of a comfy seat to produce a number 2
PS Rectum - Insult as an after thought in a letter, or drawing the text to the attention of someone called rectum
Sam Turd - Fecal matter produced by someone called Sam, could be male or female so as not to be sexist.

Conclusion:
The Commodore stores Sh!t
The Spectrum produces Sh!t
The Amstrud is Sh!t

Buy an Atari Case closed.....

User avatar
joefish
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: Why the Amstrad was gaming's best 8-bit computer

Post by joefish » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:18 am

pantal00ns wrote:Buy an Atari Case closed.....
Atari? The choice of someone with brains equivalent to RAT A.I., presumably?
No, clearly the Amstrad is superior. With its much larger screen memory the program has to take much more time and care over updating the screen. You don't get that sort of quality and attention to detail on other machines with their rush-job 25 and 50Hz update rates.

User avatar
jdanddiet
Posts: 9041
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:03 am
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Why the Amstrad was gaming's best 8-bit computer

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:21 am

pantal00ns wrote:
kiwimike wrote:Feel free to do a comparison, a title for title reason why the Amstrad was so much better. :)
This could lead to severe complications, instead compare via anagrams

1) Commodore
2) Spectrum
3) Amstrud

Answer
Or commode - Preference of a comfy seat to produce a number 2
PS Rectum - Insult as an after thought in a letter, or drawing the text to the attention of someone called rectum
Sam Turd - Fecal matter produced by someone called Sam, could be male or female so as not to be sexist.

Conclusion:
The Commodore stores Sh!t
The Spectrum produces Sh!t
The Amstrud is Sh!t

Buy an Atari Case closed.....
:lol:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests