Why the Amstrad was gaming's best 8-bit computer

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thevulture

Re: Why the Amstrad was gaming's best 8-bit computer

Post by thevulture » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:27 pm

Crunchy wrote:
thevulture wrote:And Yes, come on Darren, when's the:Atari 8-Bit:Best 8-Bit machines...Ever thread due to start?
We've got to be careful here mate. If we start talking about this sort of thread for other 8-bits we'll soon have Oric owners coming out and thinking they've got rights.
But.....but...It's ATARI...when they had computer hardware that was great and it had micro's who had the best versions of games, not crummy ports-IF the oric owners can match that-BRING IT!

:oops: Damned if i can find that Amstrad R-Type re-write on here either.It was real was'nt it?..i had'nt just dreamt it.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:33 pm

adippm82 wrote:getting hold of a Tape aligning kit helped matters little
Urk. I had forgotten about them. I think it was a common problem with CPCs, but the tape aligning kit was hard to get to work.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:40 pm

c0nfu53d wrote:
Urk. I had forgotten about them. I think it was a common problem with CPCs, but the tape aligning kit was hard to get to work.
:cry: Nightmare on Atari 8-Bits (had to play music tape and feck about with head alignment till it sounded 'right', then wait, pray that it would'nt BOOT ERROR 12 mins into the 12.5 mins loading time! and C64-Thankfully i bought a Load-It tape deck, lovely device that.

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:42 pm

c0nfu53d wrote:
In my experience tapeloading was never a problem on any of mine or my friends CPC 464s. Using an external tapedrive with 6128s was more unstable like loading on the C64 or Spectrum
thevulture wrote: :oops: Damned if i can find that Amstrad R-Type re-write on here either.It was real was'nt it?..i had'nt just dreamt it.
This one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_GDjT1tivo

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:08 pm

:D That's the one IVAF.Kudos to you..thought i'd gone mad there and dreamt the damn thing.

Now that is one damn fine looking Amstrad game....

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:00 am

c0nfu53d wrote:Amstrads were far better machines than spectrums or C64s.

Take a team of coders/artists/Sound and music composers at their peak, who are CPC fans and give them 6mths and unlimited budget to create a gaming masterpiece. Do the same for spectrum and C64 and the results would be the CPC team wiping the floor with the other two "efforts".

Doesn't count for squat IMO. Hardware is only as good as it's software, and while the Amstrad machines represented good family value, it's sad but true they were just left in the dust in the defination of gaming computer-which I am assuming is what the basis of judgement is here, being a retro gaming forum.
Not nearly as many games, and what there was, was lazy shoddy ports for the most part. Comparing eight bit for eight bit, based on a gaming point of view- IMO the amstrad was really one of the worst. Atari eight bits, C64, Spectrum, Apple, even the Sega computers with it's cartridge software- all utterly smoked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:09 am

Added footnote: I am not anti Amstrad, it was one of the machines I had during that era. And apart from the value of the hardware list, it's the one I found the worst from the point of view of a gamer. The machines I had over the time were C64, Spectrum, Sega SC3000, ZX81, Amstrad CPC464. And I liked them in that order. Yes-The ZX81 over the 464 as IMO it had better games utilising the hardware. Various friends had Atari (800), BBC model B, Acorn (But mainly Speccys due to the value and software library), and I'm sorry if it hurts the Amstrad fans, but I preferred all of them over the CPC464.
Why did I buy one? I was suckered in by marketing, and how much hardware for my buck I was getting. But the software library, specifically games, was awful. :(

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:47 am

Crunchy wrote:
thevulture wrote:And Yes, come on Darren, when's the:Atari 8-Bit:Best 8-Bit machines...Ever thread due to start?
We've got to be careful here mate. If we start talking about this sort of thread for other 8-bits we'll soon have Oric owners coming out and thinking they've got rights.
Unlikely. We may have a fondness for our particular underdog, but we're not delusional.

On a good day an Oric will give a Spectrum a run for its money, but in general the big 4 (5?) have it beat. Partly due to the era it died - it never got the advanced programming that the Speccy and C64 had, there's no Joffa Smith on the Oric.

Stuart ought to make sure Darran takes his meds though.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:11 am

I always liked Steve Davis Snooker on the Amstrad. . . .

... does that count?
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:17 am

slacey1070 wrote:I always liked Steve Davis Snooker on the Amstrad. . . .

... does that count?
Lol, that's one game then... :wink: :lol:

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:25 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Crunchy wrote:
Unlikely. We may have a fondness for our particular underdog, but we're not delusional.

On a good day an Oric will give a Spectrum a run for its money, but in general the big 4 (5?) have it beat. Partly due to the era it died - it never got the advanced programming that the Speccy and C64 had, there's no Joffa Smith on the Oric.

Stuart ought to make sure Darran takes his meds though.
:lol: Meds is right mate! I'm not certain if Darran truely believes it, or whether he's taking the censored! But to 'discuss' the topic, which is, to quote the title, 'Why the Amstrad was GAMING's best 8-bit', is just too ridiculous for words if we're being honest. Like an OTT statement by a radio shock jock to get a reaction. By the description of the title, we are not talking computer specs and hardware value for money...we are specifically comparing 8 bit computers of the basis of their ranking as gaming machines of the era. By the definition the Amstrad has to be close to last. It certainly can't even compete with the likes of Spectrum, C64, Atari and Apple.

Edwards80

Post by Edwards80 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:27 am

Finally a thread that contains 100% wisdom!

Me and a couple of mates each agreed to lobby to get our parents to buy us either a speccy, a C64 and an Amstrad so we could each have access to each machine. I ended up with the Amstrad :D

Whose house did we end up at most of the time. . . well . . . erm . . . my mate with the c64 to pay M.U.L.E but. . . er . . .what point was I making.... The Amstrad was definitely the best :)

Try Bomb Jack on the c64 and then the Amstrad. Solid proof of superiority if I ever saw it :wink:

Grip-Chimp

Post by Grip-Chimp » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:28 am

Like most of my friends thought at the time, if you already owned a ZX Spectrum what was the point of owning a CPC464? The games were mostly identical.

andyc

Post by andyc » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:06 am

Well a real disk drive (unlike the Spectrum or uber-slow C64 one) and decent text editors and assembler in ROM meant that many 8-bit coders wrote games on the Amstrad, even if they were games for other platforms. So in that respect, it was good for 8 bit gaming in general.

And it's hard to argue that there was a better 8-bit computer than the 6128+, even if it was so late in the day that it's impact was minimal.

But at the end of the day it was a machine that could have been a great gaming platform but was rather underutilized. It did however give the world Dizzy. And Jet Set Willy II. Frankly that's enough to put it at the top of the charts, I think.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:15 am

Edwards80 wrote:Finally a thread that contains 100% wisdom!

Me and a couple of mates each agreed to lobby to get our parents to buy us either a speccy, a C64 and an Amstrad so we could each have access to each machine. I ended up with the Amstrad :D

Whose house did we end up at most of the time. . . well . . . erm . . . my mate with the c64 to pay M.U.L.E but. . . er . . .what point was I making.... The Amstrad was definitely the best :)

Try Bomb Jack on the c64 and then the Amstrad. Solid proof of superiority if I ever saw it :wink:
haha we found ourselves in a similar situation, three friends living about 8 doors apart between us. though rather than campaigning, it's just how it turned out. i had the c64, and i'm sure we spent equal time between mine and the spectrum-boy's house.
the amstrad owner turned into a bit of a psychopath come to think of it... :shock: