Why the Amstrad was gaming's best 8-bit computer

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Spector

Re: Why the Amstrad was gaming's best 8-bit computer

Post by Spector » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:41 pm

SirClive wrote:The what? Never heard of it.
What do ya mean you've never heard of it? You sold out to the guy in 1986!

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:50 pm

jdanddiet wrote:I'll follow that up with a quote by Sir Bob Geldof:-

"The Amstrad is sh*t"
and don't forget the Winston Churchill quote whilst talking to Alan S*gar at one of the mid 80s home computer exhibitions at Olympia.....

"Sir, I may be drunk......but you and your computer are c*nts"
:wink:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Haabermaaster

Post by Haabermaaster » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:05 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Discuss.
Fundamental mistakes cost the Amstrad its place.

1. Not being playable on a regular telly.
It meant I couldn't borrow my computer to my mates for the weekend since it was a monster to carry. So no mates bought one.

2. Suffer Ye The Ports!
This alone killed the Amstrad. It was capable of such magnificence! Target Renegade for Hell's sake!! But instead it was lumbered with atrocious and lazy ZX Spectrum ports. Yes they might have been playable, but they looked like dogshit off your shoe.

3. Alan Sugar preferred to hump corporate leg.
And so (like the Amiga) never got the promotion as THE games machine to own.

It WAS the best 8-Bit computer, however as an 8-Bit computer games machine it was an abject failure.
YOUR FIRED!!

Pixiu

Post by Pixiu » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:14 pm

C=Style wrote:Well, let's put it this way. When I came to emulate the CPC, I went through all the best ones thinking the emulation was off, but over time the horrific reality soon dawned on me that this was indeed accurate emulation.
Ha! I know what you mean. You spend the first 5 minutes trying to figure out how to turn off the frame-skipping before realising that 12.5fps is just business as usual on planet Amstrad.

Some of the flick-screen games are all right, but generally when it has to move a fair bit of stuff about while scrolling, things start to fall apart.
"A farmer doesn't bother telling a pig its breath smells like sh*t."

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:32 pm

Spector wrote:
SirClive wrote:The what? Never heard of it.
What do ya mean you've never heard of it? You sold out to the guy in 1986!
And he owned one too! Sold it to me he did!

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:34 pm

It's a computer I don't know that much about, even though I have one somewhere in the loft - bought from a car boot sale - have never really used it, and don't really emulate it either. I generally think rightly or wrongly that most games on the machine are available on the Spectrum, a computer I do own and emulate on a regular basis.

I'm always ready to be convinced though.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:38 pm

Haabermaaster wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Discuss.
Fundamental mistakes cost the Amstrad its place.

1. Not being playable on a regular telly.
It meant I couldn't borrow my computer to my mates for the weekend since it was a monster to carry. So no mates bought one
It was if you had the tv modulator - which I did with mine. Hooking it up to a colour tv was ace after the green screen nightmare.

The one thing that spoiled the Amstrad for me was the sound - I had stereo speakers for mine which made the music a million times better but the c64 shat all over it, let's be honest.

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:40 pm

This is as close as Amstrad ever got to being "gaming's best 8-bit computer"! :)

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:58 pm

Amstrads were far better machines than spectrums or C64s.

Take a team of coders/artists/Sound and music composers at their peak, who are CPC fans and give them 6mths and unlimited budget to create a gaming masterpiece. Do the same for spectrum and C64 and the results would be the CPC team wiping the floor with the other two "efforts".

fredghostmaster wrote:All the kids at our school had Spectrums or C64's. If you wanted a good kicking you admitted to owning an Amstrad. No one did...
Strange. All the kids at our school had CPCs except for a couple of spec owners and one smart arse kid who had Atari ST. In high school most people had moved on to consoles. *shrugs*

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:02 pm

This thread is hilarious.

Mind you, Prehistorik II, Satan and Savage are seriously good on the Amstrad. Actually I don't much care for Prehistorik II but because it runs smoothly it sort of demonstrates that conversions of games like Wizball would've been better had more time been invested in them.

There are plenty of stinkers though. St. Dragon is truly horrid - tiny screen area, massive slowdown, feels as though it was written in BASIC. Xenon looks gorgeous in screenshots, until you realise that whenever there's anything on screen at all, the screenshots actually animate faster than the real thing.

And while we're talking about 8-bit underdogs, let's hear it for the Atari 8-bit! Rainbow Walker, Dropzone and Yoomp! - amongst the best 8-bit games out there. Yoomp! is awesome.
Last edited by Havantgottaclue on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Pixiu

Post by Pixiu » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:04 pm

c0nfu53d wrote:Amstrads were far better machines than spectrums or C64s.

Take a team of coders/artists/Sound and music composers at their peak, who are CPC fans and give them 6mths and unlimited budget to create a gaming masterpiece. Do the same for spectrum and C64 and the results would be the CPC team wiping the floor with the other two "efforts".
Better give the CPC programmers six months, an unlimited budget, and some magic pixie dust as well.
"A farmer doesn't bother telling a pig its breath smells like sh*t."

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:04 pm

:D And least we forget that (homebrew was'nt it?) recoding of R-Type on the Amstrad that was being shown off on here a while back.that looked bloody amazin!

And Yes, come on Darren, when's the:Atari 8-Bit:Best 8-Bit machines...Ever thread due to start?

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:07 pm

I am quite new to the Amstrad machines, I got hold of a CPC 464 last year out of curiosity, with the MP1 modulator, my experience with it was one of quite serious frustration.

The main problem for me was loading the games, why on earth there is no volume control on the tape deck is beyond me, at least half the games I got for it do not load, and most do not give any clue they are not loading until the tape runs out. getting hold of a Tape aligning kit helped matters little, my faithful old Spectrum +2 loads almost all tape games absolutely fine, so why are 464 games such devils to load?

I thought it would be good to see my old spectrum games with more colour, and no colour clash, but the big problem with this is the lack of speed, or awful slowdown, Knightlore is intolerable on the 464, and Starstrike 2 at times is a pure slideshow, now of course this could be a problem with porting the games.

Getting hold of a CPC 6128 has been more of a revelation, now I can get most tape games to load, and I have begun to appreciate the better games on the system.
Barbarian, Chase HQ, Get Dexter, Gryzor, Lemmings, Starglider and Total Eclipse to name a few are really good on the Amstrad, and the disk drive works brilliantly.

Still despite it's faults anyone who owned an Amstrad when I was at school was not entirely uncool, they were ahead of the kid who thought his Electron was superior to anything the rest of us owned, insisting he had the best versions of Elite, Way of the exploding fist, and most laughably Commando!

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:08 pm

Oh, and has anyone played the Amstrad version of Typhoon? Absolutely hilarious.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:09 pm

thevulture wrote:And Yes, come on Darren, when's the:Atari 8-Bit:Best 8-Bit machines...Ever thread due to start?
We've got to be careful here mate. If we start talking about this sort of thread for other 8-bits we'll soon have Oric owners coming out and thinking they've got rights.