Stinkers you bought back in the day

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

C=Style

Re: Stinkers you bought back in the day

Post by C=Style » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:47 am

All C64 games for me, but the biggest disappointment by far was Renegade III. I begged my mum for some money to go and buy it when it was first released, I hadn't read any reviews so wasn't sure what to expect but after the amazing two games before it it couldn't possibly be bad right?? WRONG. I remember loading it and being greeted by the awesome Ocean loader tune, so far so good!..... and then the game loaded and I started playing. Cavemen and Dinosaurs?? What happened to the rough gritty street fighting of the first 2 games? What on earth were the developers thinking? It wouldn't of been so bad if it had played ok, it looked really nice with it's high res sprites, certainly top end for the C64 but it had ZERO gameplay. Plus it was soooo hard. I only ever slogged my way through to stage 3 and the only thing that kept me playing was the music.

Another one was Turbo Outrun on C64. I bought this on tape from my local indy sop at the time and the guy in there was raving about and I'd read the glowing review in Zzap. it so I picked it up for £9.99 and got home an loaded it. 30 minutes later I was greeted by some wonderful music and then a tech demo. Zero gamepaly and the loading times were ridiculous.

And lastly NARC on C64, I was so looking forward to it and pre-orded it from my local computer games shop and when I got it home and played it I was utterly disappointed. It's weird because I really like the game these days, I play it quite a bit and it's a LOT better than the 16-bit versions in terms of gameplay. Not sure why I didn't like it back then.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:22 am

Nice call there C=Style.Never understood how C64 Renegade 3 scored so highly at the time, technically great, but playability of a brick out house.

I too, bought Turbo Out Run on tape! Bloody 'mare for loading and game really was'nt all that-Sure better than 1st game, but again, just WTF were reviewers thinking dishing out such high marks.Def a Disk only game if ever there was.

goldenone

Post by goldenone » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:32 am

I've bought some real shockers in my time....The first that springs to mind is Pele on the Mega Drive :shock:

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:41 am

I was actually pretty lucky as I researched very carefully before buying a game, plus since I only got a few a year if it wasn't very good you'd still keep playing. One I do remember was BOB on the SNES, a mediocre platformer that became almost impossibly difficult after a few levels

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:51 am

Super Soccer by Imagine and Kung Fu Master on the Spectrum. I loved the Kung Fu Master coin op and was gutted to waste my pocket money on this god awful conversion.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:19 pm

Street Fighter II on the C64, wtf was I thinking????

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:27 pm

SexyWayne wrote:Street Fighter II on the C64, wtf was I thinking????
All those multiloads too, ouch!

William S

Post by William S » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:34 pm

SexyWayne wrote:Street Fighter II on the C64, wtf was I thinking????
:lol:
ImageImageImage

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:37 pm

Nemesis on the spectrum...should've waited for the crash review :(
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:03 pm

jdanddiet wrote:Nemesis on the spectrum...should've waited for the crash review :(
Yeah, I fell for that, too. And Renegade 3 like C=Style. In fact, if you think the C64 version is bad, try playing it in monochrome.

Jagfest's suggestion of The Munsters is another one I got to play after my mum bought a copy. We persevered with it and actually got quite far, but I can't say it was fun.

I think Hong Kong Phooey on the Spectrum was the biggest let-down for me, though. I loved the cartoon when I was a kid. I played the Amiga version a few years ago and it was just as bad.

Oh, and Dr. Franken on the Snes should get a special mention, too.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:40 pm

Wizball on Amstrad. Words cannot describe the horror.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:10 pm

Morpheus on the C64 was a crusher. I'd read the development diaries in ZZap, found that all very interesting, was impressed by the massive ship on screen while retaining smooth scrolling, in theory it had a lot of depth... but it was so dull.

Gutted. Still have it, near minty as its largely unplayed. I quickly moved onto something more interesting.

A real shame as I always feel bad about not liking it much, but its the one Braybrook game I just get no enjoyment from.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:14 pm

C=Style wrote:And lastly NARC on C64, I was so looking forward to it and pre-orded it from my local computer games shop and when I got it home and played it I was utterly disappointed. It's weird because I really like the game these days, I play it quite a bit and it's a LOT better than the 16-bit versions in terms of gameplay. Not sure why I didn't like it back then.
I remember that being good, my best mate had the C64 (I had the Speccy) so we'd do the co-op but always got killed at the same place...the last time we played it he died and I got further than ever before, he then threw a wobbly a destroyed the cassette, that's the kind of a*sehole he was, haven't spoken to him in 15 years :lol:
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:26 pm

C=Style wrote:All C64 games for me, but the biggest disappointment by far was Renegade III. I begged my mum for some money to go and buy it when it was first released, I hadn't read any reviews so wasn't sure what to expect but after the amazing two games before it it couldn't possibly be bad right?? WRONG. I remember loading it and being greeted by the awesome Ocean loader tune, so far so good!..... and then the game loaded and I started playing. Cavemen and Dinosaurs?? What happened to the rough gritty street fighting of the first 2 games? What on earth were the developers thinking? It wouldn't of been so bad if it had played ok, it looked really nice with it's high res sprites, certainly top end for the C64 but it had ZERO gameplay. Plus it was soooo hard. I only ever slogged my way through to stage 3 and the only thing that kept me playing was the music.

Same here after loving Target Renegade this was a major turd.Saved my pocket money for 2 weeks to buy it :evil: The cover looked amazing on it like so many of the 6 bit games the lovely artwork draws you in and the Amiga screen shots on the back of the box which my eight year old self prays are the c64 screens but never are :twisted: .Also Wrestlemania on the C64 spent £10 on that crap did come with a poster and some lovely pin badges though.

Another real censored game i remember buying on my 8 bit was Hard Drivin friggin hated that game.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:28 pm

street fighter 2 on the amiga - cack (but was funny on the a1200 as it was really fast)
captain silver on the master system was probably the biggest (looking back i dont know why i was even looking forward to it)

to be honest though i think i secretly enjoy the crap games