Stinkers you bought back in the day

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

MattyC64c

Stinkers you bought back in the day

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:06 am

Thinking back to the 8-bit and 16-bit and 32-bit eras, tell us about some games you bought that you were utterly disappointed with. Whether they be down to being hyped up or because you bought them by accident. Give us your bad games!

I was quite lucky, I didn't have the misfortune to buy many bad games, but one that sticks in my memory was a C64 game called 'D i c k Tracy', man that was awful. My parents were nagging me to go, so I picked it. I also remember that I paid the full price for it of £9.99, that was quite a bit of change for a 12 year old in 1991! D i c k Tracy was so bad, Zzap 64 gave it a mere 11% ouch!

So what were yours?
Last edited by MattyC64c on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slacey1070

Re: Stinkers you bought back in the day

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:13 am

Kick off on the c64 - no, not that one - but a version of table football by Bubble Bus. The single player just meant the ball rolled towards your goal. It was awful.

And Kick off on the Gameboy - yes, that one, by Anco. I took it back.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:35 am

Superbowl on the Spectrum - just terrible. Because of that game i started pirating games even more. Waited months for this, delayed for ages, finally get it and its bug ridden

Did i learn my lesson ? Nope future purchases were Miami Vice and Knight Rider !

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:49 am

MattyC64c wrote:Thinking back mainly to the 8-bit and 16-bit eras, tell us about some games you bought that you were utterly disappointed with.
Sabre Wulf.

It was £9.95, an astonishing price at the time. All the Ultimate games I'd bought up to that point had been brilliant.
Because of the price I was expecting something truly awesome. It turned out to be a maze game. Nice graphics but still a maze game. I was bitterly disappointed with it.
Sabre Wulf was the first game I bought without reading a review in Crash beforehand. After Sabre Wulf I only bought a game without review if it was £1.99.
I pirated all Ultimate games released after Sabre Wulf.

NonShinyGoose

Post by NonShinyGoose » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:06 am

I was a sucker for Sega's £9.99 Master System Games. A few of these were OK, like Action Fighter and Endroracer, but most were rubbish - Teddy Boy, Transbot, My Hero...i'm looking at you.

If you ever need a laugh, have a go on My Hero!
Gaming Gibberish - http://www.gamesasylum.com
Follow us on TWITTER - http://twitter.com/gamesasylum

360 Gamer Tag: NonShinyGoose

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:14 am

Roadblasters C64-After seeing a preview in C+VG. Ninja Master A8-Hey it had a Ninja on front, Ninja's rock, so game must be awesome, right? Noooooo. 32-Bit entry which HAS to go in:

Xenocracy on PS1-Just a gritty turd someone had lushed into space and i bought it.

Skull Commander

Post by Skull Commander » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:20 am

Being a Street Fighter nut I bought Street Fighter the movie at full price on my Pal PS1, not long after it came out. I did get some fun from it, but it is generally a bit of a crap-fest.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:08 am

So many to choose from.

1) Rise of the Robots.
2) World Cup Carnival.

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:29 am

Transbot (MS) - repetition and tedium to the max

Tazmania (MS) - finished it in 2 hours, if that!

Roland On The Ropes (CPC) - I was very young when I bought this and so wasn't the most aware when it came to choosing games; I picked it simply because I had another game called Roland In The Caves, and it was very, very hard
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:31 am

I remember when my brother, sister and myself first got a Spectrum my dad used to take us to Boots once a month and get us a full price game between us, usually we got budget games from the newsagent with our own pocket money. Well this one time my dad decieded it was my sisters turn to choose after I had chosen Robocop the month before (now that was a great choice!) and she chose The Munsters because she loved the TV show. It was complete and utter garbage, horrible game that was far too hard too. I seen to remember the music was good but that was about it.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:11 am

Fantasy Zone - Master System

I know I'm in a minority here but I really disliked (and Still do) this shooter. It's really not the fault of the conversion either It's a good one, I really don't like the original version of the game. I think I found it very tough and repetitive with little reward for all the effort.

Dam

Post by Dam » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:16 am

gmintyfresh wrote:Fantasy Zone - Master System

I know I'm in a minority here but I really disliked (and Still do) this shooter. It's really not the fault of the conversion either It's a good one, I really don't like the original version of the game. I think I found it very tough and repetitive with little reward for all the effort.
What? Fantasy Zone is ace.
slacey1070 wrote: And Kick off on the Gameboy - yes, that one, by Anco. I took it back.
I had that! Think I paid about £20 second hand :shock: yes it was very, VERY sh!t.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:27 am

slacey1070 wrote:And Kick off on the Gameboy - yes, that one, by Anco. I took it back.
Which reminds me of Dropzone on the GBA. Serious letdown. Regretted the purchase after only a couple of minutes.

Cauterize

Post by Cauterize » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:46 am

I think a large selection of Game Boy games I bought as a child were all bad, bought solely on the licenses and characters behind them.

On in particular that springs to mind is Small Soldiers for the Classic Game Boy, I played it (and bought it) again recently only to find myself horrified at what I subjected myself to over time.

Damn you THQ!

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:49 am

Cybersled on the PS1...futuristic bobsleigh without the speed or the handling...f*cking atrocious.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........