So when did this forum go all modern?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

slacey1070

Re: So when did this forum go all modern?

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:12 am

stvd wrote:
merman wrote:All it will mean is that people will miss threads they might be interested in if they don't check the sub-forum.
Ahhhhhhhhhh! It'll be a disaster! :wink:
slacey1070 wrote:Merman, 100% agree with you. . . a sub-forum with rules so complicated no one will be able to police it.

But does this mean no more Iphone stuff in the magazine?!?! :lol:
:roll:
Are you serious? How is it complicating things.

I have no interest in others' high scores - I don't go in there
I have no interest in Retro Gamer Website - I don't go in there
Podcast & YouTube - never go in.

I have no interest in reading (on here at least) about 360/ps3/3ds/wii/iplod's or whatever.
I'll go to a dedicated site for those things. You can't cover all bases and be good at it all.
Retro Gamer - stick to retro games and do it to the best of your ability.
Wasn't going to add anymore, but I can't help myself!

High scores are high scores.

Retro Gamer website is Retro Gamer web-site.

Youtube is Youtube.

But what IS retro? When is it next gen? I mean, discussions on ONE series of games spans retro and current - so which is it? Resident Evil for one. Pacman another. Even CoD.

So, to enjoy reading peoples opinions here on gaming, I need to go to two place. I won't bother. Its like having to buy a newspaper, then go and collect the sports section from another counter.Its pointless. I buy a newspaper and don't like sport, I don't read that section. I give it away or bin it.

Someone else added how its the people that make this forum & I agree completely with that. Other forums that are current gen are usually full of kids, where as here, its mostly the more mature gamer, who enjoys retro from when we were growing up & enjoy current AND retro now we have less hair and carry more pounds.

And the mods will be endlessly moving stuff around. I'm a member of another forum and they spend much of their day moving threads from A to B, when the subject header is all anyone needs to read. Don't like CoD, don't read it. Simple. Why make it more difficult for those that want retro and current?
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:28 am

slacey1070 wrote:I'm a member of another forum and they spend much of their day moving threads from A to B, when the subject header is all anyone needs to read.
Interesting, what's the website?

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:04 am

stvd wrote:
slacey1070 wrote:I'm a member of another forum and they spend much of their day moving threads from A to B, when the subject header is all anyone needs to read.
Interesting, what's the website?
Its a holiday web-site - sub section for everything there - the off topic section is great - people talking about their marriage break ups etc . . .maybe we need some of that here :-)
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:22 am

I think if the forum is going to be split then the 'modern' and 'retro' sections should be in the main subject headings, the sub-heading will get overlooked by most people and things will get confused pretty quickly.

I'm not so sure it's a good idea. Closing off the retro community means it will never grow. People come here to talk about games, modern or retro. Pushing modern games to a small corner of the forum just makes it seem a bit unfriendly / cliquey / daunting for newcomers. I like the forum the way it is, retro gaming is a hobby, not a crusade.

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:30 am

The "modern" folk are diluting the site though.
If we don't keep it in check then we (the retro-gamers) will go from the majority to the minority.
The retro talk will become a sub-section of a sub-topic hidden away 'cos we're dirty.

:shock:

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:50 am

What happens if the modern games section gets more traffic than the retro section? Seperating the retro stuff is the first step to making it into a minority subject.

merman

Post by merman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:56 am

stvd wrote:The "modern" folk are diluting the site though.
If we don't keep it in check then we (the retro-gamers) will go from the majority to the minority.
The retro talk will become a sub-section of a sub-topic hidden away 'cos we're dirty.

:shock:
I disagree. I post in both retro and modern threads. But I don't see why a section about GAMES has to be split, when it had been running happily as it was. There were plenty of threads on both modern and retro gaming. Now if I want to read about a modern game, it's two clicks from the main page rather than one - so I have to make a conscious decision to check that part out. I don't usually bother going into Let's All Play BECAUSE it is a sub-forum. The same will probably happen with the Current Gen sub-forum.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:00 pm

Crazy idea, where is the "online gaming sessions" thread going, most are played on the 360/PS3, sometimes it's online COD (modern) other times online SF2(retro)......

And how do we deal with topics like the Pilot Wings thread? it started out about the original but everybody is also talking about the 3DS version, are we to have 2 Pilot Wings threads? - so many games and topics overlap between generations it is madness to split them.
Last edited by HalcyonDaze00 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:24 pm

Dunno about anyone else but I just click "View New Posts" when I turn-up around 'ere, I don't think I even know which sub-forum most threads are in. If it looks interesting I click it, I'm subscribed to the threads I always check so I just read them when I get an email.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:27 pm

Also, does this mean that all the threads in the current gen forum will be moved out of there when the corresponding next gen launches? What about if a game is on both 360 and PS3, and say Microsoft release its next console two years before Sony? Are games on 360 and PS3 now suddenly retro or still current gen?

Over at Digital Press we do split retro and modern but it's purely by format; anything Dreamcast and before is retro, anything after is modern. Even if the game is retro but released on a current format, it goes in modern.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:43 pm

Not sure why the forum needed tinkering with, it seemed fine to me. I wonder if it's just reflection of my own fear of change? The overlap between modern and retro are inexplicably linked for me, this just means that I've got another subsection to trawl through.

Still it's the people that make the forum and in that respect it's still a great community.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:48 pm

What a load of nonsense. Yesterday the most "modern threads" at any one time was 6. That's with 50 active threads on the front page, it's not an issue the retro stuff isn't disappearing or slipping away and some people are getting upset about nothing. The forum will go on and rightly so as it always has.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

TMR

Post by TMR » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:49 pm

gmintyfresh wrote:Not sure why the forum needed tinkering with, it seemed fine to me. I wonder if it's just reflection of my own fear of change?
[Peers out from behind the sofa]

Fear of change? No idea what you're talking about... but let me know when everything sorts itself out so i can stop hiding, yeah? =-)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:47 pm

Can't believe this actually got the go-ahead :roll:

Weren't more users opposed to doing this than for it? So much for the democracy that's always held high in mag feedback threads when it comes to which features are popular or not.

So now we have to keep switching sub-forums whenever we want to mention something modern? What was wrong with just talking about all games with everyone?

Not going to rant anymore because what's done is done but I can't see this being very popular at all.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:57 pm

I'm loving this. All the tedious, narrow minded, retro only bigots clearly marked and a new part of the forum where they'll never venture.

It's win all over. :D