So when did this forum go all modern?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: So when did this forum go all modern?

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:36 am

Man you just can't keep anyone happy...

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:40 am

I'm happy for people to talk about new games on the forum - I think people here are more informed/reasonable/balanced than on modern-gamer forums, where some of the users have ZERO grasp of history or sense of gaming evolution!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Pixiu

Post by Pixiu » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:47 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:There is now a new sub forum for people to discuss current gen games (yes last gen is now retro).

Hopefully this will clear things up.
It's like having a new wing in the mansion. :D
"A farmer doesn't bother telling a pig its breath smells like sh*t."

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:49 am

merman wrote:I don't see the need to hive off threads about modern games into a sub-forum. "It's all about the games" covers all eras to my mind. All it will mean is that people will miss threads they might be interested in if they don't check the sub-forum.
Merman, 100% agree with you. . . a sub-forum with rules so complicated no one will be able to police it.

But does this mean no more Iphone stuff in the magazine?!?! :lol:
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:51 am

So are the existing threads like 'wii collecting' and 'import 360' going to be moved to the new sub section? I'm guessing this will involve a bit of tidying up by mods in the short term.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:55 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:So are the existing threads like 'wii collecting' and 'import 360' going to be moved to the new sub section? I'm guessing this will involve a bit of tidying up by mods in the short term.
Well judging by the responses so far I'll probably end up scrapping it by the end of the day ;)

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:03 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Fightersmegamix wrote:So are the existing threads like 'wii collecting' and 'import 360' going to be moved to the new sub section? I'm guessing this will involve a bit of tidying up by mods in the short term.
Well judging by the responses so far I'll probably end up scrapping it by the end of the day ;)
I think you're in an impossible situation Darran :D
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:05 am

I only re-joined modern gaming a couple of years back (2009 i think) and it was good to come on here and get new-game recommendations from those with an understanding and appreciation of retro gaming. I do think the modern threads are handy and have a purpose.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:23 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Yeah in all fairness dude i dont think you're going to resolve the issue. Everyone has their own opinion of how the forum should work and be run.
Now you know what its like to be a politician :D
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:55 am

I love retro gaming and I love modern gaming, but which ones best? There's only one way to find out... FIGHT!!!
Seriously though, I like the community here and I'm interested in their opinions on all aspects of gaming. This is the best gaming forum I've ever used and pretty much, now, the only gaming forum I use because of the quality and intelligence and humour of the community.
I come here for retro chat and modern gaming chat.
Please, Darren, do not let these retro purists sway you to segregate and partition this forum any further than it already is. The way it works at the moment actually works. If the retro purists don't wanna talk modern then they don't have to reply to threads about modern gaming, what is complicated about that? I love the balance of the mag and the forum, let's not muddy the waters any further, eh?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:26 am

merman wrote:All it will mean is that people will miss threads they might be interested in if they don't check the sub-forum.
Ahhhhhhhhhh! It'll be a disaster! :wink:
slacey1070 wrote:Merman, 100% agree with you. . . a sub-forum with rules so complicated no one will be able to police it.

But does this mean no more Iphone stuff in the magazine?!?! :lol:
:roll:
Are you serious? How is it complicating things.

I have no interest in others' high scores - I don't go in there
I have no interest in Retro Gamer Website - I don't go in there
Podcast & YouTube - never go in.

I have no interest in reading (on here at least) about 360/ps3/3ds/wii/iplod's or whatever.
I'll go to a dedicated site for those things. You can't cover all bases and be good at it all.
Retro Gamer - stick to retro games and do it to the best of your ability.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:39 am

stvd wrote:Are you serious? How is it complicating things.

I have no interest in others' high scores - I don't go in there
I have no interest in Retro Gamer Website - I don't go in there
Podcast & YouTube - never go in.

I have no interest in reading (on here at least) about 360/ps3/3ds/wii/iplod's or whatever.
I'll go to a dedicated site for those things. You can't cover all bases and be good at it all.
Retro Gamer - stick to retro games and do it to the best of your ability.
I could not agree with you more

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:49 am

Modern Gaming is derived from retro gaming. I like talking about Resi 5, Tekken 6, and whatever other sequels and comparing them to the originals.

I can't believe how itty bitty some of you are :? dull thread? Don't read. Want to talk about C64? Then make a thread for it! It's not hard :roll:

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:50 am

Nothing wrong with modern talk, it is not the strength of this forum, the members are. I don't want to have to register elsewhere to talk current gen along with retro as I want to talk to the members on here about it.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:03 am

Rayne wrote:Modern Gaming is derived from retro gaming. I like talking about Resi 5, Tekken 6, and whatever other sequels and comparing them to the originals.
I can't believe how itty bitty some of you are :? dull thread? Don't read. Want to talk about C64? Then make a thread for it! It's not hard :roll:
Exactly. The people complaining about the lack of retro talk are the very same people who do nothing to encourage it in the first place. And chances are if you enjoyed the mario series from NES and SNES era, you're probably going to want to talk about the current gen additions to the series. Sure, many of the new games discussed are indeed brand new franchises and so dont have much basis for discussion on the retro front, but that leads into Nakamuras point...
nakamura wrote:Nothing wrong with modern talk, it is not the strength of this forum, the members are. I don't want to have to register elsewhere to talk current gen along with retro as I want to talk to the members on here about it.
The reason many of us dont go elsewhere to discuss such games is because we respect the opinions and views of the people HERE rather than the immature, console flame wars, "everything is a god of war clone" type of remarks you get from IGN and other game journalist boards.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!