So when did this forum go all modern?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thevulture

Re: So when did this forum go all modern?

Post by thevulture » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:44 pm

NOT wishing to sound rude or 'owt, but it's a topic that keeps popping up, yet there's no 1 quick fix answer other than really starting threads on what you feel is missing.

If it's familar, well worn ground, it may well get a 'View topic...' type reply where theres 20+pages on subject.People i'd guess not too keen to repeat old material/points of view, as it's going round in circles.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:35 am

Why shouldn't someone start a topic on "Killzone 3" or whatever?

Most of us like playing old and new games, and this is (usually) a damn sight friendlier place to discuss "modern" games that IGN, or even GamesTM for that matter.

As has been pointed out above, if you want more "retro" start more threads or contribute more to the already existing ones, and if you don't want to read about Killzone 3 don't click on the Killzone 3 thread. It's not like we're going to run out of room is it?

If you read the mag you'll see there are reviews of certain new titles, and this is the forum of that magazine after all. However contentious they might be, I like reading about games from all eras and RG sorts that itch out for me.

Grip-Chimp

Post by Grip-Chimp » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:01 am

As a new member I demand everyone only discuss the PS4 and Xbox 720.
PS3 and Xbox 360 are now too Retro for me to bother with.

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:16 am

djcarlos wrote:and if you don't want to read about Killzone 3 don't click on the Killzone 3 thread. It's not like we're going to run out of room is it?
Well yes, you do run out of room, with regards to it being on the 1st page at least.
It's extremely rare for me to hit the 'next page' button.
If it's not on the 1st page, I'll usually miss it.

slayer6000

Post by slayer6000 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:26 am

As im sure has been said above, if somebody feels something is missing simply start a thread about it, im sure people will be happy to reply and chat about whatever the topic is. I think people are sometimes worried about starting a new thread incase nobody finds it intresting or incase it has been done before, as i felt a bit like this when i first joined, but now if i want to start one i just do it, if nobody chats in it its no loss. But as for bringing up subjects that have already been discussed, i dont see a problem, i love retro games and will happily repeat myself about them all day
This week i av mostly been playing dreamcast

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:45 am

djcarlos wrote:Why shouldn't someone start a topic on "Killzone 3" or whatever?

Most of us like playing old and new games, and this is (usually) a damn sight friendlier place to discuss "modern" games that IGN, or even GamesTM for that matter.
:lol: Damn straight-Lord help you if you say you did'nt really find a game that they are fans of, really all that great.It's lynch mob time.Taking your 'forum' life in your hands on these sites if you dare speak out on something you bought.

Most odd....

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:06 am

Plenty of retro talk here but it does seem buried among the current gen talk.

Personally i think there should be a current gen forum that is seperate.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:17 am

Anybody discussing anything current should be banned for 2 weeks and the thread deleted, it's the only way really.
Splink!

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:09 pm

felgekarp wrote:Anybody discussing anything current should be banned for 2 weeks and the thread deleted, it's the only way really.
bye goes half the members and half the threads then
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:25 pm

snowkatt wrote:
felgekarp wrote:Anybody discussing anything current should be banned for 2 weeks and the thread deleted, it's the only way really.
bye goes half the members and half the threads then

Sounds good to me.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:41 pm

We'll be having that 360 Import thread deleted then :wink:

Why do people care about this so much? Don't like the modern threads? Ignore them then. It would be ridiculously ignorant to pretend we don't play on modern systems just to sound all elitist and stuck in some dusty time warp.

Everybody (for the most part) seems to get on regardless of what games they like, there's plenty of banter and cheer so I don't see what the problem is.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:22 pm

:lol: Whooooooooooooooosh!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:57 pm

it hasnt

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:17 pm

Megamixer wrote: Why do people care about this so much? Don't like the modern threads? Ignore them then. It would be ridiculously ignorant to pretend we don't play on modern systems just to sound all elitist and stuck in some dusty time warp.
Its rather the lack of retro threads. I have to say current gen discussion probably does make up more than half so I can see why people comment on it. Plus when you do get threads on retro stuff, like PC Engine, it tends to be 'what do you recommend', rather than topics about a single game/series - and when that does happen it tends to be on well trodden ground. With it not being a genre specific forum I can see why that happens.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:35 pm

I'm all for retro and current gen subforums.