So when did this forum go all modern?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Ferret Oxide

Re: So when did this forum go all modern?

Post by Ferret Oxide » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:44 pm

You'd end up with arguments over which sub-forum a topic belonged in, though.

Is the system in question retro? Is the game retro but on a current gen system? Is the gameretro-styled (e.g. some of th stuff that comes out on XBLA/PSN/apple store etc).

It would be a nightmare.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:51 pm

Just use the standard that has been mentioned in the numerous 'what is retro' threads. Anything Dreamcast and earlier is retro, PS2/Xbox/GC/PS3/360/Wii is current. Or indeed just the current gen and a retro section for anything else. There will be stuff that slips under the net no doubt, but I doubt no one would be that bothered.

I'd like to see retro/current sub forums, even though I just use 'new posts' button. seperate forums may help foster more discussion by those that don't use 'new posts'.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:14 pm

oli_lar wrote:Just use the standard that has been mentioned in the numerous 'what is retro' threads. Anything Dreamcast and earlier is retro.
Did I miss a thread? I don't recall that being agreed to. I'll assume its a typo as anything prior to the Playstation and Saturn is retro, with those systems defining the start of modern gaming.

... that's how it'll start if the forum splits.

Retro Gamer magazine features a mix of modern games and platforms right in there with genuine retro stuff. I think the forum will do well to stay the same.

Discussing the modern update or iteration of an old franchise is of interest to both parties, as is the reverse. Splitting the forum will split the thread readership. Those people who focus on retro will potentially miss interesting threads, as will the casual retro readers who stick mainly to modern discussion.

We've even got members here who've only ever known modern gaming, yet their perspective on their origins is (wrongly ;) ) that its retro. Where do they post in a split forum?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Mask Seller

Post by The Mask Seller » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:26 pm

I don't know how forums work but if there's the capacity for to add an extra sub-menu for modern games then I can't see why not. We're all here because we love games and can pick and choose what we want to read and where we want to post so can't see why it'd hurt. I can't see retro gaming being marginalised because of it.

Personally I'd like to see a separate trading sub-menu as opposed to filling up 'Off Topic' with trading threads. However, I like how things are too, like a lot of people have said, if you're not interested in modern gaming you don't have to click the link.
"Only the guilty have anything to fear. And the innocent, if we're having a slow day."

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:39 pm

GarryG wrote: I don't see many of the old names in the threads anymore ether, whare-d they go?
I wan't to join them there and talk retro againe.
They all went over to the spelling forums. I can give you the link if you want it.

:D :D
Thoughts and prayers.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:01 pm

Well it is more modern stuff as that tennis for two thread I made got no posts.
I AM DISAPPOINT!

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:26 pm

The Mask Seller wrote:I don't know how forums work but if there's the capacity for to add an extra sub-menu for modern games then I can't see why not.
Adding new areas is easy enough in phpBB 3 (create the area, copy the properties from an existing one to save a bit of time) but once it's there some poor sod will, assuming a consensus about what constitutes "modern" is ever reached in the first place, then have to manually wade through over ten thousand threads to work out which need relocating.

Spector

Post by Spector » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:25 pm

TMR wrote:
The Mask Seller wrote:I don't know how forums work but if there's the capacity for to add an extra sub-menu for modern games then I can't see why not.
Adding new areas is easy enough in phpBB 3 (create the area, copy the properties from an existing one to save a bit of time) but once it's there some poor sod will, assuming a consensus about what constitutes "modern" is ever reached in the first place, then have to manually wade through over ten thousand threads to work out which need relocating.
You could just add a disclaimer that, say, from Jan 1st 2011, all threads about consoles this century are in their own sub-menu and let it build up. Since what is retro changes with time, the cut off should only be from when that particular period in gaming is retro and not before. Okay, pretty contentious, but I'm sure it could work.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:55 am

I don't really have anything to add on the debate here, except that those of you that like talking about current-gen software, come over to the forum for Imagine's sister publication 360 magazine! It's quite a small crowd over there at the moment and I think a few more posters wouldn't go amiss - just for a bit more diversity of opinion.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:04 am

already a long thread about sub-forums, frankly breaking this forum (which isn't bursting at the seems) into sub-forums would kill it stone dead. I am a gamer. I like retro stuff, I like new stuff. I like Pacman CE DX, is that retro or modern? I was playing Perfect Dark on my 360 over the weekend, is that retro or modern? And, of course, no one can understand what retro really is anyway, so putting in place "rules" that no one knows what they are is a bit daff.

As long as people put a suitable title in the subject header, whats the problem?

And lets not forget, the magazine has an article about Duke Nukem - featuring lots of talk about DNF - a new game. Thats not retro - or is it? Same with Gran Turismo 5 - thats a new game right? So not retro . . .

I'd probably not bother with here if it was made unless easy to listen to interesting opinion and debate. The people on here express some interesting ideas and opinions - don't make it more difficult for people to read. It would also make it more difficult for newbies to find their way around.

So, to answer the question, this forum hasn't gone all modern . .
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

TMR

Post by TMR » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:46 am

Spector wrote:You could just add a disclaimer that, say, from Jan 1st 2011, all threads about consoles this century are in their own sub-menu and let it build up. Since what is retro changes with time, the cut off should only be from when that particular period in gaming is retro and not before. Okay, pretty contentious, but I'm sure it could work.
Splitting the forum could work, but it has the potential to be disasterous as well; it's been noted that the current/recent gen stuff gets a large percentage of discussion so, whilst having it as a seperate entity might help get discussion going, the retro section stands at least some chance of ending up as a wasteland. It also adds a further burden to the "job" (in quotes because they don't get paid for it) of the moderators, they'll have to relocate threads from one area to the other and that's bound to cause arguments.

Personally, if it were me i wouldn't do the split without relocating all the relevant posts from at least the last year to whichever new area is created (to avoid it looking dead at start-up) and then there'd need to be at least three new moderators appointed because our current team do already have enough on their plates with the day-to-day running and spam. As to if i'd actually do the split in the first place... i don't know, my attitude is "if it ain't broke" and, despite the complaints, i'm still not entirely convinced it is.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:00 am

I think it would be fine if some ground rules were laid down, not specifically "what is retro?" as there would be disagreements and it could get complicated and become hard work for the mods. But more simply one forum for current gen (PS3/360/Wii/PSP/3DS) and the rest for the others. It's only as complicated as you want to make it and it doesn't have to be. I think it would make the forum more organised and in some respects could give it a boost, certainly in the retro section.

sack

Post by sack » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:29 am

Looking at this from another angle:

We all talk about retro with the benefit of hindsight, and I'm sure we've all made the odd cockup in the past. For example my first exposure to wizball was on a greenscreen CPC464 and regardless of what you think about the pros/cons of the amstrad playing a colour-based game on a greenscreen is pointless and I hated the game and wrote it off as being crap. Later on I got the c64 version on a colour display and realised I'd been missing out on a stone cold classic of a game. It's easier to be right in hindsight.

so... What I think would be a good thing to do would be to take the current crop of games, try and figure out which ones we'll be discussing in 5-10 years times as retro classics and why and stash that away for some future point so we can come back and see how wrong or right we actually were.
A9 00 8D 20 D0 8D 21 D0 60

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:34 am

There is now a new sub forum for people to discuss current gen games (yes last gen is now retro).

Hopefully this will clear things up.

merman

Post by merman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:35 am

I don't see the need to hive off threads about modern games into a sub-forum. "It's all about the games" covers all eras to my mind. All it will mean is that people will miss threads they might be interested in if they don't check the sub-forum.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube