So when did this forum go all modern?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

djcarlos

Re: So when did this forum go all modern?

Post by djcarlos » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:48 am

The graphics are rubbish on those old games though.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:47 pm

It's fairly inevitable this will happen as there are a finite number of retro games and new stuff comes out all the time. People come to the forum to talk with like minded individuals of a similar age, there's plenty of retro here so who cares?

Surely the 'off topic' section, that doesn't even cover games never mind retro, is a more worthy cause of complaint.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:01 pm

djcarlos wrote:The graphics are rubbish on those old games though.
:lol:

rolan

Post by rolan » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:17 pm

I like hearing the views of people who know the history of games talk about modern games.... I probably only buy 2-3 next gen titles a year so usually I like it when someone tips me off that something modern might also appeal to retro orientated people...

Riddler

Post by Riddler » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:25 pm

GarryG wrote:I only occasionaly drop in here now, I used to be a regular ;)

I've noticed that most of the stuff on here now is pretty-much about modern stuff ps3 360 wii!
:D
You are joking right? The forum is called "it's all about the games" NOT "Retro games only forum".
your hardly one to complain with posts like:
What do you think of the apparent releases of the two new MMORPGs coming to the PS3 this year
Is there a good arcade-type joystick that can be used with the PS3?
I am currently playing waaay too much Pac-Man Championship Edition DX on the PS3
I've been playing a lot of the 'Pixle Junk' games downloaded from PSN on the PS3 lately.
What are you currently playing?
Halo 2 on Xbox
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:28 pm

We have talked about the old to much and have ran out of things to say about them...............

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:29 pm

I'm also guilty of talking about lots of modern stuff but would be happy to talk about non 3d deathchase related stuff. Threads still pop up but tend to die by the end of the first page which is a shame I guess. The problem is, let's say I start a thread about, erm, whether Donkey Kong Junior was a worthy follow up to Donkey Kong, several people will respond and that's it. Well, let's see!

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:14 pm

Donkey Kong Jr, you say.

Let's see if we can keep that on the 1st page for a year! :lol:

Haabermaaster

Post by Haabermaaster » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:42 pm

GarryG wrote:I only occasionaly drop in here now, I used to be a regular ;)

I've noticed that most of the stuff on here now is pretty-much about modern stuff ps3 360 wii!

So what happened to the retro-site I used to love visiting?
Put simply: you stopped coming here.

Glib comment aside it's the reason most forums go this way. Those who joined when it was X and return to find Y can't really complain. If they wanted it to stay as X they could have stayed and made sure it went the way they wanted. A forum is only as good as its membership after all. If no Retro enthusiast posts threads then other people will. Or the forum dies and we all go elsewhere.

I can understand why people come to Retro forums, and I can also understand the frustration of seeing something that is potentially about one thing being subverted into another (imagine a West Ham appreciation forum being invaded by Millwall supporters. :P ) but here, as the Forum topic states, It's all about the games.

Any games. :D

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

To be fair I get the sentiment - it is called retro gamer after all - and the subheadings is 'the online community for classic games and hardware'

I like this forum though - generally good, Interesting conversations go on and not much stupid kiddy flame-war type posts. I think due to it's name at least it keeps the annoying little s**ts away :)

I've tried to re-dress the balance by posting 2 threads that are retro related! If we all did one each there'd be loads!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:21 pm

I too get dismayed at the amount of talk about modern games on a forum that is supposed to be about Retro Gamer, sometimes you can't move for threads where people are getting all randy over some utter censored for the PS3 or iPhone.

Personally I think modern gaming should have a seperate area. There are enough forums dedicated to modern gaming out there and if you really want to talk about them then go to IGN.

I would definately hang out here a lot more if Retro Gamer Forum was more about Retro Gaming

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:32 pm

I agree to the extent that there are 30 pages threads about MvC3 and the 3DS. Two things I don't really care about.. But I guess not everyone visits multiple forums right?
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Without wanting to be rude, there is the option of not clicking on a thread if it doesn't interest you.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:13 pm

When folk concluded it was okay to start threads such as the current one entitled "Killzone 3". :shock: :roll:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:41 pm

Maybe RG is the only forum to be pushing the envelope in terms of radical thinking-Here the Retro of the future is being talked about in the present.-No?

Ok, how about this: Like it or not, current gen games are covered to a degree in the magazine-Reasons well known, ties in with their origins/roots etc, so why should the forum really be any different?.It's a community...I mean the Gamestm forum has topics about far more than just...Games.There are Retro threads a here-If the one your looking for is'nt 'active' then start it up, it's that simple.

What exactly are the topics people feel are missing? We've had the VS type..The just bought a....What games should i buy for it? type....The technical comparisons..The more cult machine MSX cropped up while back...Good few programmers on here post on technical side of things.....Arcades of yester year mentioned...3DO, Jaguar, CD-32 crop up. N64 a regular, Speccy, CPC, C64, ST, Amiga still active topics......How do we cover new ground on old subjects?.