So when did this forum go all modern?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GarryG

So when did this forum go all modern?

Post by GarryG » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:33 pm

I only occasionaly drop in here now, I used to be a regular ;)

I've noticed that most of the stuff on here now is pretty-much about modern stuff ps3 360 wii!

So what happened to the retro-site I used to love visiting?
What happened to the heated discusions about the best 8Bit, or the best side-scrolling and vertical SHMUPS?

I don't see many of the old names in the threads anymore ether, whare-d they go?
I wan't to join them there and talk retro againe :(

:D
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

ToxieDogg

Re: So when did this forum go all modern?

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:58 pm

There's still some of those threads around, and you can always kick start one of the older ones (or start a new one) if you want. :)

It's inevitable though that people are going to move along with the times and play more modern games though. Just remember that today's modern is tommorows retro.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:14 pm

True enough for most sites, although this is the RETRO-GAMER forum. So why have so many people come here to talk non-retro in the past couple of years?

I'm not trying to flame. I just don't know why people come here to not talk retro :o

It wasn't like that in the (good) old days :D
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

van

Post by van » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:40 pm

Back to RETRO!! Has anybody played Donkey Kong?

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:41 pm

There is plenty of retro talk here still - but I guess gamers are gamers and with next gen consoles being openly retro friendly they are going to get lots of talk.
As for the old members going away - there are still loads of us around :wink:

BUT I am sure we have all been here before. There is only so many times you can censored off the Amstrad - or maybe not!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:12 pm

Theres still plenty of retro talk, but people want to talk about new games a lot too. I guess theres only so many times you can discuss old games before everythings been near enough covered, wheras theres plenty of stuff to talk about with new releases.

As many have said if people want to discuss retro, then make threads. We cant discuss a topic if it hast been created yet!
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:22 am

How can we talk about retro when no bugger will agree what it is? ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:30 am

I agree to some extent. The main part of the forum (IMO) is "It's all about the games".
On a retro games forum this is what I'd expect from it - retro games.
The majority of the time it's PS3/360(3)DS and ithing discussions.

I don't believe if you went into an antiques forum you would find a load of topics on Ikea furniture & DFS.
Or a classic car forum you would have topics on motorbikes, caravans and the new Kia Sorento.

There are plenty of specific forums for all new-gen consoles. All free to join.

At least throw this stuff into Off Topic. Where it belongs. :|

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:49 am

I'm sure I've seen a couple of instances lately where people have complained at the lack of retro talk but then made no attempt to start anything themselves.

I even recall someone saying they were waiting for someone to start a particular topic :? If that's the case then no wonder there is a lack of retro talk.

I totally agree there is a lot of current gen talk at the min but surely you will only get out of this forum what you put in? You want retro discussion, then start some :D

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:02 am

I'm as guilty as anyone about talking current games etc, but I don't think there is too much modern talk on here. I think there is probably a near equal mix across all generations. I like the fact that we just seem to talk about games, irrespective of what gen they are.

And for me personally, I pretty much see anything not current gen as retro. The reason being that continuing to play the PS2 for example is largely a decision to play older games based on the game's merits, rather than just following current trends, which is probably the main reason people play retro games. I think if we create solid rules and boundaries then we run into problems, such as whether Chrono Trigger DS is retro or current for example, because you could argue both.

Also consider that current consoles and games do cater to "retro" gaming to some extent. We have retro game downloads, emulation, revivals of "retro genres", and all the remakes/ports/sequels/updates of retro games now on current consoles. If you're a Donkey Kong/Donkey Kong Country fan for example, then you're surely going to want to talk about Donkey Kong Country Returns on the Wii.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:18 am

Joey wrote:I'm sure I've seen a couple of instances lately where people have complained at the lack of retro talk but then made no attempt to start anything themselves.
^^^^ This, this & a million times this!

I have seen so many people moaning that "The same topics are coming up" "there's too much modern stuff" "there aren't enough discussions about x,y or z" "this forum's not like it used to be"

START SOME RETRO THREADS UP THEN!

I totally understand where the OP is coming from, there are a lot of threads about modern games I have no interest in (I don't have a PS3 or a 360) so I tend to veer towards threads I do have an interest in, or start the odd thread myself.

Forum are not a passive medium & it's content derives from the sum of it's parts.

What tends to happen is that those interested in modern games have lots of threads about the games they are playing & those solely into retro have lots of threads bemoaning the lack of threads about retro! :lol:
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:34 am

Still a fair bit of retro talk, some of it gets boring the second someone posts 'the C64 is better than the Speccy...' and then there'll be a 12 page thread about geeky stuff (instead of games).

But yeah when people mention 'theres not enough retro talk' well start some ! I'm not interested in the modern consoles but do like the retro stuff available on them.

Think retro is still super popular, had the best attendance at any retro event for a long time last year, another show this year. Might just be that 'time of the year' !

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:38 am

I prefer it the way it is at the moment: a general gaming forum that leans towards classic gaming and classic gameplay.

The original RG forum and the early years of this forum was the domain of cranky spods bent on arguing about trivialities and promoting their fanboy anti-modern agenda. The hardcore retro gamer is a blinkered beast, forever stuck in the past, pouring scorn on the present, fearing the future. The hardcore retro gamer can hardly ever just say, "I love playing these old games!", they've always got to say "I love playing these old games because modern games are rubbish!". A view that takes into account precisely nothing about their own personality and stage in life. A truly selfish, egotistical, arrogant and unrealistic view. The view of an idiot.

I for one am glad most of the retro spods have gone and that the talk on here is a mix of old and new these days. I don't talk about retro suff much because I've done it all in previous years. I'm talked out. I still play plenty of old games but don't feel the urge to talk about it. Whenever something retro is discussed it's usually something that's been discussed before anyway. You can only compare screenshots of arcade ports so many times before the excitement begins to dull.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:07 am

psj3809 wrote:the C64 is better than the Speccy...

It's about time you agreed with that well known statement. :D :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:18 am

Can't really add a lot to the wisdom that's already been said.Think the problem (if thats correct word) for the regular posters here is we often seem to be going in circles with topics that pop up.

C64 vs Speccy, N64/Saturn (being best/worst consoles), Jaguar etc etc.We've put our views across the 1st time topic popped up-Just re-treading old ground.

Also lot of people getting (back) into classic gaming, via the wonders of Emulation-Nowadays the debate seems to be just what the very meaning of Retro is to people.Some peoples 1st console was the PS1 so the 8/16-Bit home micro era is like the dark ages to them.

Think 'best' way to look at the forum is as a gaming community and a very good one at that, where you've a great balance of views and opinions.Some of us grew up with the Zx81 or more obscure 8-Bit machines, Many collectors on here, good chance that if someone is trying to figure out a name of a forgotten game or has any gming question, someone on here is able to answer it.