Am i the only one

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

slayer6000

Am i the only one

Post by slayer6000 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:41 am

Just wondering If I am the only person who hasnt got a next gen console, when i talk to peoploe and they find out im a gamer\collector they instantly presume i have a 360\ps3\wii but i dont, latest console i have is a PS2. My other half has a DS so i guess thats latest thing in the house, but i never play it.

I do have interest in the latest games\consoles and everything and i do follow the market closely, but i just havent made the purchase yet. Money is the biggest issue, i just cant justify spending a few hundred quid on a new console when i still enjoy playing my other consoles. I spend a lot of time on my PS2, and probably equally as much on my Dreamcast, and if i fancy something different, i have 6 other consoles to choose from. Each console has a vast amount of games, and i enjoy huntin out new titles and playing them.

Dont get me wrong, if i had the money to spare i would buy a PS3 without a doubt, and i would really like to have access to the downloadable games and online gaming, but i know that i will get there in the end.

So is there anybody else who hasnt gone next gen yet?
This week i av mostly been playing dreamcast

Haabermaaster

Re: Am i the only one

Post by Haabermaaster » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:46 am

I'm this gen. I have an xbox 360, DS and wii.

A few people here complain that more mainstream stuff gets talked about on this forum than anything retro, but to my mind that's because most threads tend to be about this gen. If the retro threads aren't here - we can't comment can we? :)

To my mind as long as you're a gamer of some description I don't see what the problem is. :P

slayer6000

Post by slayer6000 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:50 am

I think next gen probably will get talked about more because were more surrounded by it, tv ads, magazine ads, its in the shops etc
This week i av mostly been playing dreamcast

Juggernaut Headcrush

Post by Juggernaut Headcrush » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:31 am

All current gen games will become retro at some point, we're just cutting to the chase by talking about them now, deciding what will be desirable/rare/classics once their brief moment in the limelight has passed.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:49 am

I have a Wii and PSP but they were both Christmas presents, the last console I bought new was a GameCube.
My gaming tastes are mainly dictated by finances, true of most of us I suppose. I have a bit of savings but the 360 and especially the PS3 are still a bit too expensive even 2nd-hand (and in terms of reliability far too risky! 8) ).

sumodan

Post by sumodan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:01 am

I just don't have the time to play games on the Xbox 360, etc, nor the money. So no, my last console was the first gen Xbox, but then my working life took over and I never got to complete Halo!!! May have to re-visit that game.
To be honest, the reason I lost interest in new consoles, is because most of the really good games seem far too interactive. Something like Assassin's Creed really appeals to me, but it seems like you need to spend hours on it to make it worthwhile, and with a family and my work load, I don't have the time. That's why I prefer games from when I was a kid, because they were quicker to play......and they were really addictive too!!! Now my kids are not keeping me awake at night, I really want to get back into gaming, but am put off by the modern consoles, hence I've asked the question about emulation on another thread.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:36 am

My wife bought me a Wii a few years back, had a couple of games but rarely played it and sold it a few months later.

The only 'new' thing i've bought is an ipod touch which i LOVE (and have been very surprised by how good it is) for gaming, tons of games instantly there on this small gadget.

The latest consoles dont really interest me, dont want to hook up some console to the tv only for the wife to moan 5 minutes later she wants to watch the latest dross on ITV2 ! Just find portable gaming so much easier.

With a handheld i can have a quick blast here and there, works a treat.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:56 am

no current gen here but xbox 360 games already very cheap so saving up for one.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:41 am

Ive got a nice BluRay player which I believe also allows you to play PS3, PS2, PS1 games
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

William S

Post by William S » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:36 pm

I haven't bought any new generation consoles since the SNES! :lol:
I just wasn't interested anymore when it all went 3D. I thought the grapichs looked like crap.
3D is looking good nowadays though, and with 2D also making a return, I'm buying a Wii and a PS3 soon.
ImageImageImage

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:58 pm

I don't own any console from this gen or the last gen for that matter and have no interest in buying any of them. I just don't enjoy modern gaming at all. Games that are based on achivements that are so big you have to save them and come back to them all the time don't appeal to me. I also hate analogue joypads and sticks, give me a proper joypad or joystick anyday thanks. I prefer classic arcade style gaming anyday, I know that you can download a lot of these games nowadays my brother has loads on his 360, but why bother when I can play them on my retro machines?

Alistair Aitcheson

Post by Alistair Aitcheson » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:07 pm

I own a Wii, but that's about it. And it's a family thing really, I don't normally play a lot of games on it. My mum and I use the Wii Fit and sometimes we'll all do Wii Sports/Play. I just got Sonic Colours recently though, and am enjoying it.

After the Gamecube I felt a bit disappointed with standard mainstream titles. I ended up getting all the odd little titles that I'd missed before, having been too busy with Metroids and Zeldas (which I'd grown tired of). Puyo Pop Fever is an awesome game, as it Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4 - a japan-only beat-em-up based on the anime. I also started exploring the Saturn and discovered Shining Force III. I found it's a great idea to take a step back and look outside the mainstream.

Since then I've realised that there's actually plenty of stuff on current-gen consoles that I'd really enjoy. Fighters like BlazBlue and SFIV, and there seems to be plenty of arcade-style shooters, puzzlers and run-and-guns that I'd love on XBLA. But now that I'm an indie developer I don't think I'll be able to afford one until I've had a few hits! :oops:
Indie developer, creator of Greedy Bankers for iPhone.
Twitter| Blog

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:22 pm

Cant afford new games, keep spending money on older ones

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:58 pm

so far the only current gen machine that sticks with me is the xbox 360
neither the ps3 nor wii interest me much
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:21 am

I have all the current gen systems, but convenience means I play more emulated old games than current ones.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.