Super Nintendo collecting thread.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Liamh1982

Re: Super Nintendo collecting thread.

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:44 am

English Invader wrote:Let's not discount the overall quality of the SNES. The console is home to some of the best games ever made and people will always want the best.
You can also say that about the Mega Drive or PS1 and yet with a few notable exceptions, prices haven't yet gone crazy in the same way. They are starting to creep up though...

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:46 am

English Invader wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: I actually think Turtles In Time is a really weak fighting game mechanically (I have no love for the turtles) so I certainly wouldn't pay any more than £25 for it, meaning it's highly unlikely to ever be in my collection going forward.
I found the game quite easy in normal mode because I played Hyperstone Heist to death when I was a kid. In hard mode, I get stuck on the Shredder boss in the Technodrome level because you have metal footsoldiers instead of normal ones which makes it a lot harder to get the throws in. If it wasn't for that, I would probably have beaten the game by now and, sadly, you don't get a proper ending until you complete the game in hard mode just a message from Splinter saying that further challenges lie ahead.

In spite of the easiness, I like the game because I love the cartoons and there are appearances from more obscure characters like Slash and the Rat King - not to mention some awesome mode 7 action.
In terms of sheer fun to play, it could be my favourite SNES game. I love how fast the turtles move, especially when doing a jump kick. It makes games like Final Fight or Streets of Rage seem slow and sluggish in comparison. It's the game I usually fire up when I can't decide what to play and just want a blast on something fun.

I have a soft spot for scrolling beat 'em ups, and finally buckled and bought Batman Returns for SNES the other day. I had it on an emulator, but felt the need to play the real thing. £18 for just the cart is more than what I'd usually pay for a game, but it seemed to be the cheapest the game goes for these days, and I reeeeeeeally needed it :lol:
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:27 am

I was playing Batman Returns last night. Catwoman is such an ass hole in it. And then you have to fight her again!

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:10 am

Liamh1982 wrote:
English Invader wrote:Let's not discount the overall quality of the SNES. The console is home to some of the best games ever made and people will always want the best.
You can also say that about the Mega Drive or PS1 and yet with a few notable exceptions, prices haven't yet gone crazy in the same way. They are starting to creep up though...
The SNES takes quality to a whole new level (and that's coming from a die-hard Mega Drive fan).

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:21 am

I think the cardboard cases come into it. I also think there's a perceived quality to the old Nintendo Seal Of Quality that plays into it too.
There's no doubting it's a great console, but it doesn't really explain why there's such a gulf between the two systems that came out at exactly the same time.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:59 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I think the cardboard cases come into it. I also think there's a perceived quality to the old Nintendo Seal Of Quality that plays into it too.
There's no doubting it's a great console, but it doesn't really explain why there's such a gulf between the two systems that came out at exactly the same time.
But if packaging was the only thing that mattered people would lose interest in the SNES and inflate the prices of MD games instead. There has to be something special to make it all worthwhile.

Loose Game Gear games go for peanuts because the vast majority of them are mediocre platformers or Master System/Mega Drive ports (I have 300 games and there are about 40 that I play regularly).

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:02 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I think the cardboard cases come into it. I also think there's a perceived quality to the old Nintendo Seal Of Quality that plays into it too.
Definitely cardboard cases having the major baring; the disparity between cart and complete items sales prices is huge, and I think a lot of buyers are seeing these purchases as an investment. N64 has gone the same way, with games such as Smash bros having risen 300% since 2011. In the UK, there are a lot of copies of great MD games for sale, SNES didn't sell tooo well, I think that helps raise prices.

But don't be fooled, some games I sold on PS1 for £20 5 years ago are now hitting £100. Games prices are creeeping up. some are going down to tho.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:03 am

That's a fair point.
There's definitely something in the box thing though. You can get turtles for about £25 as a cart. The boxed version is at least 4 times that. That's a huge increase when they make no impact on the actual game (I certainly prefer having everything boxed mind).

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:06 am

Minty Nintendo boxes, they're just reallly nice. worth and extra 300%? dunno, but nice to have. Looks great on display too.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:32 am

Agreed.
I have to curb my collection now. I've just purchased a significant Super Famicom collection and had Super PunchOut and SUper Star Wars turn up today. Add in Illusion Of Gaia and I have more than enough stuff to keep me busy.

n1nty

Post by n1nty » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:23 am

It's all about the boxes and condition of them nowadays, you could pick up minty games for less than £50 a few years ago, but now it's silly money. Glad I got all the cib ones I wanted before the price hike.

Box protectors are a must though , I even use acyclic ones for a few but even them are quite costly.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:32 pm

I bought my cart-only DKC for £15, the same shop had a copy in an average-quality box for £20. This was not an oversight, other games in nice boxes are priced up at £50 or more.

Incredible how much difference a minor scuff or slight tear can make - a 95% perfect box may as well have been chewed up, eaten and shat out by a dog.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:09 pm

I don't mind a crease in a box, I can live with a minor crease, but when the cardboard is well worn I get a little put off. I have box protectors for my N64 games, think they're worth the investment. The worst I can live with is a crease in spine, you know a small one but still.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:45 pm

I think I mentioned the cardboard packaging on page 48 as a factor in the price ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:51 pm

I didn't get involved until pg 49 ;)