Super Nintendo collecting thread.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

English Invader

Re: Super Nintendo collecting thread.

Post by English Invader » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:07 am

English Invader wrote:Some great SNES recommendations in this video (Metal Jesus hidden gems):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJrR5DMAkmc
Just been playing some of these games. Choplifter 3 is a natural fit for the SNES (the shoulder buttons make it so much easier to turn the chopper around) and Hagane is great fun - it's basically a futuristic Shinobi clone with awesome graphics and sound. Run Saber is good as well (Strider clone).

Another game I discovered on my travels today is Inspector Gadget. As a fan of the cartoon, I had to give this a go - it's a decent platformer with some challenging gameplay but I think the best approach for an IG game would be a Sleepwalker clone with the player as Brain instead of Gadget.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:29 am

nakamura wrote:Skimmed back through this whole thread. Amazing to see my resolve cave and spent a tidy sum on the system. Amazing to see other people's awesome collections and wonder if they still have them.
Still have my collection, and have added a rather yellowed US SNES to it, so have gone and got a few more boxed and loose American games, also spent the last few months learning to play some old favourites again, as the speed difference is huge!

Real bonus that with a couple of snips of a pair of pliers, it will play my modest Super Famicom collection too, only downside is it is so ugly compared to the Jap/Europe design.

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:41 am

MadManDan79 wrote:I've got Castlevania 4 but only in cart form as well. Haven't got Turtles in time as yet...
Turtles In Time gets listed for some crazy prices on eBay these days. Recently I've seen it for £60 buy it now all the way up to £80 (cart only) :shock:

Glad I got mine years ago when prices were a little more reasonable
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:49 pm

Been good fun going back through this thread.

I'm definitely going to be a lot more selective with my purchases this time around, helped in fact by the higher prices.
I actually think Turtles In Time is a really weak fighting game mechanically (I have no love for the turtles) so I certainly wouldn't pay any more than £25 for it, meaning it's highly unlikely to ever be in my collection going forward.

I'm also making a point of actually trying to get stuff completed, which makes it a lot easier to justify to myself when I do decide to splash out on something. So far, the most expensive game I've purchased is Return Of Double Dragon at £42 and I've already completed that 4 times since last Friday :P

I think the other thing that's helping is that Nakamura and myself participate in WedSNESday every week, which means I'm actually sitting down and playing games on a more regular basis.

I've often bought games in the past for no other reason than because I know they are good games and not because I wanted to play them. The high prices of the SNES mean I can't afford to go down that route. I have no love for Turn-based RPGs, so don't feel upset about the prospect of never owning Earthbound for example.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:23 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: I actually think Turtles In Time is a really weak fighting game mechanically (I have no love for the turtles) so I certainly wouldn't pay any more than £25 for it, meaning it's highly unlikely to ever be in my collection going forward.
I found the game quite easy in normal mode because I played Hyperstone Heist to death when I was a kid. In hard mode, I get stuck on the Shredder boss in the Technodrome level because you have metal footsoldiers instead of normal ones which makes it a lot harder to get the throws in. If it wasn't for that, I would probably have beaten the game by now and, sadly, you don't get a proper ending until you complete the game in hard mode just a message from Splinter saying that further challenges lie ahead.

In spite of the easiness, I like the game because I love the cartoons and there are appearances from more obscure characters like Slash and the Rat King - not to mention some awesome mode 7 action.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:37 pm

English Invader wrote:In spite of the easiness, I like the game because I love the cartoons and there are appearances from more obscure characters like Slash and the Rat King - not to mention some awesome mode 7 action.
Yeah, I guess it helps to be a fan of the cartoon. Turtles in Time just captures the look of the cartoon perfectly. It is fan service at it's finest and it isn't a bad little game. It just looks and sounds spot on.

I paid 30-odd quid for mine and that doesn't include the cost of the flight to Tokyo!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:18 pm

I'm pleased that I got two of my major targets out of the way fairly recently in Donkey Kong Country and Plok.

n1nty

Post by n1nty » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:36 pm

Still have mine and always will :D

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:37 pm

I no longer have my original SNES & collection, but I did re-obtain a SNES some years back and have built up the collection again a bit.

I did grab myself a soldering iron today with the intention of getting practice with it so I can replace the save batteries myself.

It would be great to have save data actually stored in Mario All Stars, Super Metroid & Super Mario Kart again - and replace the batteries in various Game Boy Games (relevant only due to the Super Game Boy hardware, lol)
Where logic won't work, I will

James A

Post by James A » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:34 pm

Is there any particular reason why around 2012 - 2013 the price of anything SNES wise went through the roof?

I found some old print off ebay invoices from 2011 for some snes stuff id sold. Zelda LTTP - £8 Mario Kart - £10 Loose SNES - £15 Metroid -£5.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:56 pm

James A wrote:Is there any particular reason why around 2012 - 2013 the price of anything SNES wise went through the roof?
For the same reason NES prices a few years earlier started ramping up: kids who are now adults wanting to buy back stuff they had as kids, and now have the money to do it. Coupled with the fact that cartridges tends be more collectable than discs, and Nintendo packaging was cardboard and less well lasting over time...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:58 am

James A wrote:Is there any particular reason why around 2012 - 2013 the price of anything SNES wise went through the roof?

I found some old print off ebay invoices from 2011 for some snes stuff id sold. Zelda LTTP - £8 Mario Kart - £10 Loose SNES - £15 Metroid -£5.
Its all relative. The prices you're quoting are about 4-5 times what I paid a few years earlier, so to me they skyrocketed way before 2012.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:18 pm

Basically demand and the way the market has shifted... Retro gaming is becoming very collectable and desirable. Collectors appear willing to part with more money for video games and because of this owners are hanging on to the consoles and games. Any that do find their way for sale on ebay, gumtree etc the prices just go crazy...

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:27 pm

Because I sold all of my SNES stuff in 2011 and I have rotten luck.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:09 am

Let's not discount the overall quality of the SNES. The console is home to some of the best games ever made and people will always want the best.