Super Nintendo collecting thread.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

nakamura

Super Nintendo collecting thread.

Post by nakamura » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:50 am

Being a massive SNES fan, I foolishly sold my SNES with a stupid amount of completed NTSC games back in 2005ish. I did get a lot of cash for it all, not as much as now perhaps but thats life eh.

I have since purchased another machine, not to make the same mistake again. I have a rough collection goal, it isn't like the PS2 where I am looking at getting lots of titles, just the real cream and my favs.

So far I have...

Desert Strike.
Donkey Kong Country.
Donkey Kong Country 3.
F-Zero.
Joe and Mac.
Secret of Mana.
Street Fighter II.
Street Fighter II Turbo.
Super Ghouls and Ghosts.
Super Mario Kart.
Super Star Wars.
Super Street Fighter II.
The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past.
Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose.
Un Squadron.

Not a bad little start, all NTSC but tbh the PAL stuff is fine had I not got an NTSC machine first. There are a few games I really want to get and will pick up over the coming months. Starfox, Stunt Race FX, Castlevania, Metroid, Mario World just to name a few. I really love the machine, just like in 1993 when I first got one for xmas.

Any other collectors out there?
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Super Nintendo collecting thread.

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:31 pm

Hmm, not really my favourite machine ever (FAR from it), but it's got some alright stuff on it. I've already got rid of mine once, but the guy I gave it away too sent it back my way a couple of months ago, so may as well get SOME enjoyment from it.

At the moment, I have:
-Donkey Kong Country
-Donkey Kong Country 2
-Donkey Kong Country 3 (REALLY like this one!)
-Earthworm Jim
-Flashback
-Jungle Strike
-The Lost Vikings
-Nigel Mansell's World Championship Racing
-StarWing (Love this game to bits)
-Stunt Race FX
-Super Bomberman 2
-Super Mario All-Stars
-Troddlers
-Super Game Boy

I'd like to get Pocky & Rocky, Cybernator, Unirally and Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts at some point, and if it's possible to play Japanese games in any way (haven't really looked into it), Majyuuou would be a wonderful thing to have. Other than that, that'll do for now, thank you very much.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:35 pm

Nice start! I'm also in the process of rebuilding my SNES collection. I was smart enough to hang onto my Pilotwings... if only all the games I got off of eBay were in the same condition. Oh well. I've been collecting for a while now and I've just about replaced all the games I had originally.

Here's my list so far:

The Addams Family
Aero the Acrobat
Axelay
Batman Returns
Contra 3
Cybernator (Boxed)
Disney's Goof Troop
Flashback (Boxed)
F-Zero (Boxed, Reissue)
Gradius 3 (Boxed, JPN)
Jaki Crush (Boxed, JPN)
James Bond Jr
Jurassic Park (Boxed)
The Lost Vikings
Mortal Kombat 3
Mystical Ninja
Pilotwings (Boxed)
Secret of Mana (Boxed)
Simcity
Spiderman & the X-Men (Boxed)
Starfox
Starfox (Boxed, JPN)
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Super Bomberman
Super Castlevania 4
Super Mario Allstars (Boxed)
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario World
Super Street Fighter 2 (Boxed, JPN)
Super Star Wars (Boxed)
Super Star Wars - Empire Strikes Back (Boxed)
Super Star Wars - Return of the Jedi (Boxed)
Super Tetris 2 + Bombliss (Boxed, JPN)
Tetris 2 & Dr Mario (Boxed)
Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose
Yoshi's Island (Boxed)
Zelda 3 (Boxed)

There are loads on there I had never played before, but had read were excellent. There's also a few hangers on, like the addams family and james bond jnr, that came with other games I actually wanted. Most of my games aren't boxed, which doesn't bother me too much. A tatty box bothers me more, let's put it that way. All my games are NTSC. I only collect NTSC mostly because I have a US SNES (mmmm purpley), but also because I do prefer to play the games as they were meant to be played.

There's tons of games I still want to get:

Parodius
Super Metroid
Earthbound (highly unlikely!)
Indiana Jones
Final Fight 2

A few of these are Super Famicom only and Earthbound is just too expensive. But hey, it's a wishlist!

I also managed to find a brand new boxed controller on eBay and I've also got one of those Super Wild Card copier devices, but it's such a hassle to use (ugh floppies), it just lives in its box. Which is a pity, because it cost me a fortune in shipping costs from Lik Sang (RIP).
Last edited by theantmeister on Sun May 01, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:55 pm

The main Console I'm collecting for, is the Super Famicom games are proving very expensive to buy on Ebay, even from 99p starts.. Got lucky and bough a large amount of rare games of a woman on ebay

I own the following Super Famicom games boxed and complete
Pretty Fighter
Melfand Stories
Violinist of Hamalin
Death Brade
Bing Bing Bingo
Wario World
Dinosaurs
Marcross
Magic Sword
Space Invaders
Samurai Spirits(Samurai Showdown)
Popfull Mall
Go Go Ackman 2
Pop and Twinbee
Rainbow Bell Adventure
Tiny Toons Adventure
Puyo Puyo
Super ChaSE HQ
Final Fight
Dead Dance
Darius Twin
Contra 3
Sexy Paradious
Ninja Warriors Again (no instructions)
Super Tennis
Batman Returns
Side Pocket
SF2 Turbo
Nichibitsu Classic(Moon Cresta, Frisky Tom and Crazy Climber)
Fatal Fury Special
Lady Stalker
Fire Pro Wrestling
Mario World
Super Valis 4
Yoshi Island
Umihawa Kawasai
Super Metroid
Sonic Blast Man
Donkey Kong Country 3 brand new
Final Fantasy VI
Jap Arabian
RPG
unplayable RPG
Battle Blaze
Axelay
R Type
Magical Adventure
Retutn of Double Dragon
Pocky and Rocky 2
Hagane
Paradious
Paradious Dai
Holy Umbrella
Rushing Beat Shura
Sonic Blast Man 2 cart only
Ghost Hunter Mikado cart only

Pal Snes
Ghoul Patrol Cart
Star Wing Cart
Metal Marines Cart
Ranma 1/2 cart
Shadowrun cart
Turtles Tournament fighters cart

Boxed Snes
Terranigma mint no instructions
Populous 2
Super Star Wars
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

eeztheman

Post by eeztheman » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:18 pm

I used to have a SNES back in the day, and not until recently have got a replacement console.....I am so glad I did, had pretty much my collection of games still intact from between 1992 - 1995.

Here is my list for what it's worth

8 in 1 Cart - contains Mario World, Tom & Jerry, Congo's Caper?, Goof Troop, Choplifter 3, Top Gear, Striker, F-Zero
Alien 3
Boxing Legends Of The Ring
Cal Ripken JR Baseball
Contra 3 Alien Wars
Cybernator
Donkey Kong Country
Dragon The Bruce Lee Story
Exhaust Heat
F Zero
F1 Pole Position
FIFA International Soccer
International Superstar Soccer
Jack Nicklaus Golf
Jimmy Connors Tennis
Madden 94
Major Title
Mega Man X
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat 2
NBA Live 96
Pilotwings
StarFox
StarWing
Street Fighter 2
Street Fighter 2 Turbo (Tin)
Striker
Stunt Race FX
Super Bomberman
Super Castlevania IV
Super International Cricket
Super Mario All Stars
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario World
Super R Type
Super Smash TV
Super Soccer
Super Star Wars
Super Tennis

Around 70% of the games are boxed from when I initally got them back in the day, I am glad I kept hold of them (although I could kick myself as I did sell my copy of Sunset Riders for next to nothing at the time, I just can't spend silly money getting a copy back!!).

It's also a mixture of NTSC & PAL games, I would ideally like a couple of SFC carts so I have one from every region..

It's just such a great console, with a fantastic quality library of games (I have some of the good 'uns, as well as some not so good as you can see).

Dam

Post by Dam » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:36 pm

My favourite console of all time - takes me right back to those carefree days of playing SF2 in the arcades during the summer holidays, and my friends down the road getting a SNES at launch, I was totally blown away by Mario World!

But sadly collecting for this machine is an expensive business. I ditched all my PAL games to concentrate on NTSC, but I haven't bought anything for a long time, and don't expect to buy much for the foreseeable future :(

My collection is small, one very yellow US console, 14 boxed games and 18 loose carts. I have some nice stuff though, here is a picture of the Jap games:

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:59 pm

I'm by no means a collector but the SNES has always been my favurite console. I won't touch it for months or even years but I'll never make the mistake of selling one again. Incidentally all my games are cart-only.

NRGuk

Post by NRGuk » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:25 pm

SNES collecting in general seems to be a more costly past time than that of the MD! Nice thread :) I agree that the SNES is probably the best when it comes to these titans of retro!

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:37 pm

Dam wrote:My favourite console of all time - takes me right back to those carefree days of playing SF2 in the arcades during the summer holidays, and my friends down the road getting a SNES at launch, I was totally blown away by Mario World!
I remember the first time I flicked the on switch and heard the electric guitar intro to Spiderman & The Xmen...it just blew anything I had heard from my NES and Megadrive out of the water. And then the game actually starts and there's massive colourful sprites being thrown around, including a giant screen sized spiky ball that chases you through the level. I was blown away. And Spiderman isn't even a great game by SNES standards.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:43 pm

I have a smallish collection of SNES games, about 40 I think. However, the very best ones really impress me - some of the best 16-bit arcade gaming going as far as I'm concerned (the RPG side of things always figures heavily on the lists of top games for the system but as yet I haven't been prepared to fork out for those sorts of titles).

The shooters aren't in huge supply but all the ones I have (Super Aleste, Axelay, R-Type III, Super Swiv, UN Squadron, Pop 'n' Twinbee) are very enjoyable, if not quite as high-octane as their MD counterparts. Then aside from the widely acclaimed Super Metroid and Mega Man X, there's the likes of the Super Turrican games (which play to the SNES's strengths rather than copying the sprawl of the Amiga games), Hagane and my personal favourite, Demon's Crest.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:43 pm

Some really nice stuff in here. I would love all boxed stuff but most of mine is just cart only, I just want to play the games. :)

I remember the SF2 Turbo tin! Memories! The 8 in 1 cart sounds interesting too. Does anyone know is Super Metriod JP contains english? I think it does.

Shinobi, you have plenty I haven't even heard of!
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:56 pm

I only have about half a dozen boxed titles - mainly they're rather tatty, so I settled for cart only in most cases.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Neilos626

Post by Neilos626 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:17 pm

I love the SNES best ever console in my opinion, I had one back in the 90s that I had converted to run NTSC games, I also had a Super wild card DX32, with all the classics, chrono trigger, Earthbound, Hagane, Ninja warrior again, undercover cops, Turrican 1 & 2 (plus universal soldier which was never released on cart). I had around 500 games in total. I left home and never saw any of it again :(

Anyway I now have a US Snes converted to accept Jap and Pal carts with a full screen switch. I also have just shy of 400 games mostly boxed some of my more exotic games are Mario and Wario big box edition, Leathal enforcers, Killer instinct + watch, Raccoon and Rascal, Riders spirits, Super Noahs Ark 3D (as seen in games TM Spetember issue), 7th Saga, Twisted tales of spike Mcfang, Secret of the stars, Super Mario RPG, Metal Warriors, the violinsit of hamlin, wonder project j, boogerman, frantic flea, cotton 100%, Sufami Turbo cart and Makeruna Makendo 2. I thought my collection was awesome, but I was truely humbled last week when I met a fellow collector who owns every pal release all in mint condition he has the likes of Joe and Mac 3, Mohawk and Headphone Jack, Aero the acrobat 2, Zero the squirrel, Outlander, Dracula xx and many more sought after games. Also just to rub salt in the wound he has a mint copy of Rendering Ranger.

Good luck adding to your collection, you will need it as prices for even run of the mill games have gone through the roof in the last year or so.
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:28 pm

Here is a rough list of what I am after. Most are not too expensive but I was shocked at the prices of most games.

Stunt Race FX.
Star Fox.
SUper Mario World.
Aleste.
Axelay.
Pilotwings.
Turtles.
SUper Tennis.
Castlevania.
Metroid.
Smash TV
Actraiser.

FamiDude

Post by FamiDude » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:34 pm

theantmeister wrote:There's tons of games I still want to get:

Tetris 2 + Bombliss
Rly? You should check ebay ;)
Looking for pretty much any Japanese GBA game!