Gaming's biggest tool?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TMR

Re: Gaming's biggest tool?

Post by TMR » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:40 am

thevulture wrote:I fully understand creators being protective of their creations, after all, lot of blood, sweat and tears goes into them, but: It's all part n parcel of the buisness is it not?
If you're dealing with a faceless game studio then perhaps yes, but the chances are that, if you can identify a specific individual or two behind a game as in the cases you're talking about, those people have put not only their time and money into a game but a little bit of themselves - they get truly passionate about defending their designs. Since i've been there and got the t-shirt (it's Barbie pink with neon green text and i'll defend that design decision to the death!!1one) at least on a small scale, i can empathise...
thevulture wrote:Good or bad reviews aside, it's still up to the public to decide IF they want to buy it.Maybe Sega having seen the bigger picture thought it was'nt justified to throw more money away on average title?
As Matt said, average can sell bucketloads if pitched right. And whilst it's up to the public, if Sega don't do their job of making sure the public is aware of a game, they can't really do that.

Haabermaaster

Post by Haabermaaster » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:52 am

Also Dreamcast was just at the cusp of titles beginning to sell in their multi-millions. The pre-PS1 era saw anything over 50,000 as break-even sales and anything approaching 100,000 as a big success. PS1 and especially PS2 showed us that million sellers were not only possible but likely.

It's not just a case of scaling users, you have to program games for people who want to play them. Or at least people who want to buy them to play them. This is why casual and family titles can do so well. It's what the people (with money) want.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:09 am

Started something here, but..Ok, fact is Jez San 'entered the buisness' to make money.As much of it as he possibly could, just as every other person before and after etc.

When it came to 'barking the dog' as far as promoting the games of various teams or the hardware in form of Super F.X chip, Jez was the voice, interviews in Edge, The One, C+VG, Offical DC magazine etc etc.

Jez was giving impression Red Dog as far as MP went would be the DC's 'Goldeneye'-Expectations were high, game was mauled at review, Jez and team had every chance to adress flaws reviews raised, they only tinkered, game was thrown back out.It Bombed at retail.-As did a lot of far better quality DC games from Sega and various 3rd parties.

Harsh fact:DC was in shadow of the EXPECTED (not proven) power of PS2.Public ignored DC even when it had the best games at E3, public wanted DVD player that also played sony games, that's where they went.Is that Sega's fault? To some degree yes (past failures, poor marketing), but MS had a battle.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:14 am

(Cont).Best they could do was loose money, BUT establish the Xbox brand, the Online side and get a head start on Sony for the next round.again, on Xbox Jez pops up, Malice, 1st shown as tech demo.for then new console, appears ages after release and was'nt much cop.Was that MS fault then? :?

Sorry but Jez's outcry just struck me as sour grapes.Lot of developers got burnt by DC, but most just acepted hand fate had dealt and moved on, either switched games from DC to PS2 or canned them and started on PS2 projects.

Not everyone had to have a 'It's SO unfair, Sega let me down approach'.Yes Jez, yes they did, but you and your team let yourselves down, just as badly.Have a coke n a smile and move on luv.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:07 pm

You know, I actually like Red Dog. :) It's one of the games that's had a lot of playtime on my DC. And I bought it because I really enjoyed the demo, so the marketing worked for me.

But I still agree that Jez is a tool. :lol:
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:35 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:You know, I actually like Red Dog. :) It's one of the games that's had a lot of playtime on my DC. And I bought it because I really enjoyed the demo, so the marketing worked for me.

But I still agree that Jez is a tool. :lol:
:lol: Well since you brought 'him' up. regarding persons earlier point that maybe Jez had changed his mind regarding DC hardware...He was'nt backward in coming forwarsd when it came to being honest about new hardware.In interview in early Edge magazine, he laid into the 3DO hardware, 2D abilities in particular, so cannot honestly see that being reason for DC rant.

He was just frustrated about poor sales of game, Needed a scapegoat-Made a tool of himself.