Who's getting a 3DS then?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ShadowMan

Re: Who's getting a 3DS then?

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:13 am

I really like the aqua blue colour on my 3DS, so much better than the fairly boring looking black 3DS.

Glad that Zelda's got a release date for June. I still haven't gotten close to finishing any of the games I got at launch and with Steel Diver and then Resident Evil Mercs coming out in the next couple of months I'll probably be kept busy with the new releases.

Star Fox 64 3DS has a Japanese date of July 14th:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/0 ... _3ds_date/

I really hope the euro date is pretty much the same seeing as my birthday is the 16th and it would be the perfect present seeing as SF64 is one of my favourite N64 games.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:25 am

Black consoles/handhelds all the way for me! whenever a black version of any system is released the standard colour is instantly replaced :lol:

Im looking frorward to Ocarina even though i normally dont bother with Zelda games, had a go of it at a pre launch event it looked & played amazing!

StarFox looks like its shaping up nicely aswell, i absolutely hammerd it on the N64 and managed to unlock every last extra but hopefully it will still feel fresh.
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:51 am

Ha, I think it's virtually impossible to ever get bored of playing Star Fox 64! I've been playing it solid now for the past 2 years, I don't think I go a week without having a game. Both that and Zelda are going to be amazing on 3DS. Resi is looking very nice too.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:35 am

Starfox+3DS=the perfect match.

Systems Killer-App ahoy?????

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:18 pm

Had a good look at it this morning in a Mall...and the 3D effect really impressed me. It was a really cool illusion which didn't seem to be too much of a strain on the eyes.
Not enough for me to open the wallet though. They're just too expensive IMO. The software prices are rather steep but not overly, about the same as the current gens I guess. But for the buck you'd get a current gen machine, and already have budget software for it...No. Not for me.
Once a few more games come out, I'll look again, But I certainly will not be picking it up anytime soon.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:42 am

I had another go on one today in Gamestation on Ridge Racer 3D. It impressed me so much I ended up caving in and getting one with Ridge and Pilotwings lol. I love the deep 3D effect on Ridge Racer, it controls so nice with the analogue slider. Sweet game! I bought the black one and it's boring sure, but it has a nice finish, it's kinda speckled and the machine certainly does have a quality build. Bring on Star Fox!

Wont be playing any DS games on it though as they look horrible compared to the crisp, brighter and bigger screens of the XL.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:17 am

On the flip side I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell mine, has just done nothing for me whatsoever.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:41 am

Really? I would hold on to it for a bit and at least wait till the really good games come, then I guess you'll know for sure.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:43 am

C=Style wrote:Really? I would hold on to it for a bit and at least wait till the really good games come, then I guess you'll know for sure.
Oh sure, I probably will do that, I think it's maybe more the fact that I've never really found using handheld systems particularly comfortable for long periods. I suppose I'll have to at least wait until Ocarina comes out.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:56 pm

C=Style wrote:I had another go on one today in Gamestation on Ridge Racer 3D. It impressed me so much I ended up caving in and getting one with Ridge and Pilotwings lol. I love the deep 3D effect on Ridge Racer, it controls so nice with the analogue slider. Sweet game! I bought the black one and it's boring sure, but it has a nice finish, it's kinda speckled and the machine certainly does have a quality build. Bring on Star Fox!

Wont be playing any DS games on it though as they look horrible compared to the crisp, brighter and bigger screens of the XL.
Yeah, to be fair Pilotwings, Ridge Racer etc weren't in NZ yet...yet they been there I might hace caved! :lol: But once OOT and Starfox is out, they MIGHT sway me, they'd be some classics then. Being an older dude maybe the XL would suit me, should these drop with the 3DS out...Nice big screens for my old eyes... :wink:
The PSP is definately wound down, this weekend they're on sale everywhere. Shame I didn't like them. I really wanted to, but I found the controls too uncomfortable

supermario

Post by supermario » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:47 pm

Played one today - enjoyed it but won't be buying one for myself.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:09 pm

I know a lot of people are saying that 3D is pointless, or just a gimmick in terms of gameplay and to a degree that is true but what it does do is enhance the graphics exponentially. NGP may have some crazy horsepower and Uncharted and Wipeout may look as good as the PS3 versions but without 3D I can't see that impressing me much tbh lol
kiwimike wrote: Yeah, to be fair Pilotwings, Ridge Racer etc weren't in NZ yet...yet they been there I might hace caved! :lol: But once OOT and Starfox is out, they MIGHT sway me, they'd be some classics then. Being an older dude maybe the XL would suit me, should these drop with the 3DS out...Nice big screens for my old eyes... :wink:
The PSP is definately wound down, this weekend they're on sale everywhere. Shame I didn't like them. I really wanted to, but I found the controls too uncomfortable
Yeah definitely, Pilotwings and Ridge Racer were really the only games I wanted. The XL is such an amazing machine, still a pretty expensive machine but for what you get it's well worth it. The screens are fantastic.

The PSP is a cool machine for CFW, but I just get so bored with it and the types of games on it don't suit me as much as the DS.

Reglan

Post by Reglan » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:25 pm

I'd like to get one but $250 is too rich for my blood. Also, I just know Nintendo is gonna do the inevitable system upgrade. Nintendo 3DS Lite, Nintendo 3DS Lite+i, etc.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:30 am

Knowing me I'll probably cave in and buy one the day before the new one is launched. Aside from improving the battery and DS game display (things I could probably live with quite comfortably), I don't know how else they could improve it.

Sure they could make it even more sleeker and compact but that not always better, my DS Lite feels a bit brittle and delicate as it is. A biger model might be good but I don't know if the bigger screen would affect the 3D effect with regard to eye strain and whatnot. Presumable a bigger 3D screen would cost a fair bit more aswell.

I still haven't even tried a 3DS yet, I think I'm going to go against the convential wisdom of trying before I buy. I'll probably get one, turn the 3D slider all the way down, start up a game for a bit, and then at some point randomly slide the 3D all the way up and shock myself! :lol:
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:01 am

I wonder whether Nintendo will ever release a 3DS equivalent of DSi XL. I wouldn't mind playing Nintendo games in 3D on a screen that size :) .
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac