Who's getting a 3DS then?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

newoldgamer

Re: Who's getting a 3DS then?

Post by newoldgamer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:32 am

Freestyler wrote:Image
:lol: One of the funniest episodes!

Anyway, back on-topic, I wouldn't beilieve what the tabloids are saying, who remembers the CERN LHC, they said it was cause a black hole. It didn't.
Same here, it's just more scaremongering...

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:07 am

Crunchy wrote:
killbot wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:This is why so many kids are obese. Get out in the street and play. Lock up the peodos for life so our kids are safe to play out.- anne road, scotland, 5/4/2011 16:15
Ooh, so close. Scores 10/10 for attacks on video games and paedophiles, but bottles it at the last minute and fails to identify single parents, gays or immigrants as potential sources of the problem.

Overall 6/10

Must try harder.
Gets only a 5 from me.
It's obviously a comment from a casual Daily Mail reader because there's no mention of gypsies, new age travellers and how the 3DS making people puke is going to bring the property market crashing down. Probably a Sun reader who found the Daily Mail website by accident looking for news about Peter Andre's new tattoo that he had to get to cover the mole he got from being stressed out by Katie Price's new tattoo that Elton John gave her in celebration of his sponsorship of a japanese earthquake orphan even though the local council tried to stop him. Or something.
@ killbot & Crunchy - Too funny! 10/10 to you both! :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:16 am

It's perhaps the biggest threat to the nation's mental wellbeing, yet it's freely available on every street – for pennies. The dealers claim it expands the mind and bolsters the intellect: users experience an initial rush of emotion (often euphoria or rage), followed by what they believe is a state of enhanced awareness. Tragically this "awareness" is a delusion. As they grow increasingly detached from reality, heavy users often exhibit impaired decision-making abilities, becoming paranoid, agitated and quick to anger. In extreme cases they've even been known to form mobs and attack people. Technically it's called "a newspaper", although it's better known by one of its many "street names", such as "The Currant Bun" or "The Mail" or "The Grauniad" (see me – Ed).
The Awsometacular Charlie Brooker, biting the hand that feeds him in his usual Guardian column.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:22 am

Freestyler wrote:
It's perhaps the biggest threat to the nation's mental wellbeing, yet it's freely available on every street – for pennies. The dealers claim it expands the mind and bolsters the intellect: users experience an initial rush of emotion (often euphoria or rage), followed by what they believe is a state of enhanced awareness. Tragically this "awareness" is a delusion. As they grow increasingly detached from reality, heavy users often exhibit impaired decision-making abilities, becoming paranoid, agitated and quick to anger. In extreme cases they've even been known to form mobs and attack people. Technically it's called "a newspaper", although it's better known by one of its many "street names", such as "The Currant Bun" or "The Mail" or "The Grauniad" (see me – Ed).
The Awsometacular Charlie Brooker, biting the hand that feeds him in his usual Guardian column.
Just read the article you linked. He never fails to disappoint. The spirit of Bill Hicks lives on. Hurrah!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Roo

Post by Roo » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:46 am

I've just come to the realisation that PES 2011 3D doesn't have player ageing or player development in the Master League. That's just absolutely rubbish. What the hell is the point in buying a 21-22 year old striker to develop when the likes of Crespo and Luca Toni will always be miles better and never retire? That's an unexcusable blunder from the developer, and sort of defeats the purpose of the whole mode.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:31 am

Traded Ridge Racer for Pilotwings today.

The 3D Really hurts my eyes, bad headaches too. No matter how I adjust the slider I can't seem to find that 'sweet spot'. Playing it in 2D seems fecking pointless really.

The game itself is painfully simple I'm dozing off as I play.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:35 pm

Crunchy wrote:
killbot wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:This is why so many kids are obese. Get out in the street and play. Lock up the peodos for life so our kids are safe to play out.- anne road, scotland, 5/4/2011 16:15
Ooh, so close. Scores 10/10 for attacks on video games and paedophiles, but bottles it at the last minute and fails to identify single parents, gays or immigrants as potential sources of the problem.

Overall 6/10

Must try harder.
Gets only a 5 from me.
It's obviously a comment from a casual Daily Mail reader because there's no mention of gypsies, new age travellers and how the 3DS making people puke is going to bring the property market crashing down. Probably a Sun reader who found the Daily Mail website by accident looking for news about Peter Andre's new tattoo that he had to get to cover the mole he got from being stressed out by Katie Price's new tattoo that Elton John gave her in celebration of his sponsorship of a japanese earthquake orphan even though the local council tried to stop him. Or something.
You missed out who killed Princess Diana

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:39 pm

I play Streetfighter now only in 2d mode, if I play it in 3d I move the screen when performing moves meaning it blinks as the screen's 3d moves from my eye-line. :? Bizzarely playing Rayman more than anything else, even though it is essentially the dreamcast version.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:04 pm

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:14 pm

Roo wrote:I've just come to the realisation that PES 2011 3D doesn't have player ageing or player development in the Master League. That's just absolutely rubbish. What the hell is the point in buying a 21-22 year old striker to develop when the likes of Crespo and Luca Toni will always be miles better and never retire? That's an unexcusable blunder from the developer, and sort of defeats the purpose of the whole mode.
I can see why you don't like it, but I prefer it that way. I'll play 20 seasons with the same team on Winning Eleven 6 FE and noone gets better or worse, or retires. If a young player in the game such as Robben needs improving to match his current ability I'll edit his stats myself, tho usual the official stats. I also like to keep established players stats at the peak of their prime.

Sure its unrealistic but so is rebirthing retired players as teenagers
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:51 am

Negative Creep wrote: You missed out who killed Princess Diana
It's the Express that's renowned for banging on and on about the death of Princess Diana.

The Express would probably have gone for something like "Is the new techology used in the 3DS the same thing that could have killed Diana?".
Two page spread quoting Al Fayed about a device that projected a 3D false image at the the driver to make him see an empty tunnel instead of the stealth military bulldozer that was in the way possibly. Duke Of Ed to blame. MI6 cover up. Now we're all using a 3DS and pissing all over the memory of Saint Princess Of Di. Phone this hotline if you've been disorientated by your 3DS and nearly crashed your car.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:11 am

Most recent weekly hardware sales in Japan:

PSP - 57,379
Nintendo 3DS - 42,979
PlayStation 3 - 27,453
Wii - 10,249
Nintendo DSi LL - 9,706
Nintendo DSi - 9,566
PlayStation 2 - 1,996
Xbox 360 - 1,789
PSP go - 696
Nintendo DS Lite - 629

Not looking good for 3DS with it being trounced by the relatively ancient PSP. Also had a giggle in seeing PS2 is outselling Xbox 360!

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:21 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:Not looking good for 3DS with it being trounced by the relatively ancient PSP. Also had a giggle in seeing PS2 is outselling Xbox 360!
I think the Japanese look at the xbox 360 the same way we in the UK looked at the PC Engine or Neo Geo: If you had one at the time you were part of an ultra-small clique of videogame coolness. Nobody "mainstream" had one, or possibly even knew what one was, despite the fact they were brilliant pieces of kit.

I'm guessing that's the situation in Japan. Xbox is clearly a Western console, and so for the average Japanese raised on a "Buy domestic!" philosophy (much like the Americans during the Fifties) it's only those who're daring to be different that actually end up getting one. I don't think it's cultural racism but it's common for western companies to suffer when they try to target eastern shores. Maybe it's because we all come across as highly aggressive?

Back to the OP: I don't think I'll be buying a 3DS. At least not for a long time. It's certainly a cool piece of kit though.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:23 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:Most recent weekly hardware sales in Japan:

PSP - 57,379
Nintendo 3DS - 42,979
PlayStation 3 - 27,453
Wii - 10,249
Nintendo DSi LL - 9,706
Nintendo DSi - 9,566
PlayStation 2 - 1,996
Xbox 360 - 1,789
PSP go - 696
Nintendo DS Lite - 629

Not looking good for 3DS with it being trounced by the relatively ancient PSP. Also had a giggle in seeing PS2 is outselling Xbox 360!
Hard to get a handle on your negativity here. The 3DS is the second highest hardware seller there, and by a large margin. How is that "not looking good" ?

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:29 am

Crunchy wrote:Hard to get a handle on your negativity here. The 3DS is the second highest hardware seller there, and by a large margin. How is that "not looking good" ?
One would normally expect a new hardware launch from Nintendo to be outselling a competitor's system that's been available in Japan since late 2004.