Who's getting a 3DS then?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Nemesis

Re: Who's getting a 3DS then?

Post by Nemesis » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:24 am

C=Style wrote:
nakamura wrote:
sscott wrote: On a side note, a lot of regulars hardly ever post now, have you noticed this? Not attributing this to anyone, just an observation.
Pity you won't join in more mate. :)
Everyone's entitled to their opinion but I tend to agree with sscott. I think their a fine line between lively and disruption. It may be fun sitting at the sidelines and reading the arguments, but taking part in them isn't so fun when all you want to do is just chill out and chat about games. Plus new members don't hang about either in such an unwelcome atmosphere and this forum needs some fresh blood. All imo of course.

Though a disruptive and argumentative forum is still better than a dead one if that's what you're getting at. This forum was never dead though, there has always been good conversations ad threads here, that's why we are regulars I guess.

Yep, fully agree with this. I've been caught out before getting involved in silly arguments and it's not enjoyable. I don't get involved & purposefully stay clear of such bickering. There is a fine line between respectful discussions & personal digs which i feel gets crossed on occasions. If a lively debate constitutes a slanging match between members then count me out. I enjoy games, I certainly don't want to have a playground spat about them. We're supposed to be adults after all.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:17 am

My tuppence worth:

The Forum's not as busy!

Well, it's Summer, or at least getting to be Summer. It's the traditional time when people realise there's more to life than rubbing their crotch against a keyboard and try to venture out into that hot shiny thing called direct sunlight. Maybe they'll even try for a bit of copulation! All luck to them then. :lol: :wink: They'll be back.

Pre-Owned ate my Hamster!

Homefront sold a million copies. That's a massive amount by anyone's reckoning. A million copies! Yet apparently it wasn't even enough to recoup the Advertising budget alone. They needed to sell twice that amount in order to get their investment back on telling people how "good" the game was. I don't think another million people were patiently waiting for the game to end up for 45p in CeX (seeing as most games do their most business within a two week window) so we can infer that (along with the massive advertising) that it sold as many as it was going to. A million copies! That's a lot!

And yet it wasn't enough. The Publisher (THQ) went mental, seeing as they pinned Halo-style hopes on the title (and were already talking about Homefront: London and other locations for future sequels to this "massive" franchise) but it didn't happen. So they fired the Devs and closed the Studio down. For "only" selling a million copies. Remember when games that sold 50,000 were considered rampant successes? Apparently not any more.

Yes, Homefront has ended up in CeX and GAME. But don't they all? Especially so since the game has about 10 hours play in it (not counting multiplayer) and has little if any replayability. Provided Pre-Owned games don't hit the shelves in that lucrative two to four week window I can't really see there being a problem. Some of the larger titles also try and get a second bite of the apple by releasing GOTY editions, thus effectively selling the same title twice. That's not killing the Industry.

The Industry as a whole has gotten out of control when games that sell in such high volumes end up causing people to get fired for not selling enough. Greed has taught them that "Triple A" titles means "Sells more than ten million copies." Even if their triple A product isn't really that good in the first place.

No, they just practise abhorrent behaviour like enforce Review embargoes and delay Demo's until after the product has shipped for that glorious two week window. SALES SALES SALES!

My job's on the line.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:32 am

Freestyler wrote:words
You make it sound like there used to be a period of time when publishers weren't after money.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:49 am

ToxieDogg wrote: Really not sure why people are treating a discussion about preowned games as some kind of huge sh!tstorm on the forum, and that we should all sit around the campfire hugging each other and roasting marshmallows lest we scare off 'regular' posters (whoever they're considered to be these days). We're all entitled to our opinions. Or at least I thought we were. :|
I don't see anyone referring to the argument about pre-owned games, well I certainly wasn't anyway. I was talking about the constant baiting and jibing from certain members that has been going on for the past few weeks, not the slight disagreement which just took place over the comment made by Rayne on pre-owned games.

Nemesis wrote: Yep, fully agree with this. I've been caught out before getting involved in silly arguments and it's not enjoyable. I don't get involved & purposefully stay clear of such bickering. There is a fine line between respectful discussions & personal digs which i feel gets crossed on occasions. If a lively debate constitutes a slanging match between members then count me out. I enjoy games, I certainly don't want to have a playground spat about them. We're supposed to be adults after all.
Yeah it aint fun. It's easy to ask people to join in but some people don't like childish bickering on forums and I'm one of them. Intelligent discussion and lively debate I'm all for however. This is why the block function is useful as a last resort and so should all be resolved now in my case.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:13 am

DigitalDuck wrote:
You make it sound like there used to be a period of time when publishers weren't after money.
There was a time yes, when they weren't so craven about it.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:23 am

DigitalDuck wrote:
More that there used to be a time when publishers didn't spend such absurd amounts of money on marketing that selling a million copies of a game still didn't bring in enough money to cover their costs.

The games industry is carried away with the idea that it is now as big as Hollywood, and as a result is chucking money about like water. Except that only certain blockbuster franchises (Halo, CoD, Mario) can consistantly sell enough to justify the spend, meaning that virtually every game on shop shelves loses money. Instead of looking at their own absurd behaviour, publishers then pin the blame on devs and close them down. Who wins? The devs are out of work, the publishers have lost money and the players are lumbered with increasingly safe and homogenised products clogging shelves.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:53 am

C=Style wrote:
ToxieDogg wrote: Really not sure why people are treating a discussion about preowned games as some kind of huge sh!tstorm on the forum, and that we should all sit around the campfire hugging each other and roasting marshmallows lest we scare off 'regular' posters (whoever they're considered to be these days). We're all entitled to our opinions. Or at least I thought we were. :|
I don't see anyone referring to the argument about pre-owned games, well I certainly wasn't anyway. I was talking about the constant baiting and jibing from certain members that has been going on for the past few weeks, not the slight disagreement which just took place over the comment made by Rayne on pre-owned games.

Nemesis wrote: Yep, fully agree with this. I've been caught out before getting involved in silly arguments and it's not enjoyable. I don't get involved & purposefully stay clear of such bickering. There is a fine line between respectful discussions & personal digs which i feel gets crossed on occasions. If a lively debate constitutes a slanging match between members then count me out. I enjoy games, I certainly don't want to have a playground spat about them. We're supposed to be adults after all.
Yeah it aint fun. It's easy to ask people to join in but some people don't like childish bickering on forums and I'm one of them. Intelligent discussion and lively debate I'm all for however. This is why the block function is useful as a last resort and so should all be resolved now in my case.
Yet another coded personal attack on me full of your usual quotient of snide remarks and rank hypocrisy. Please get over yourself and let it go for the sake of all here.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:24 am

C=Style wrote:well I certainly wasn't anyway. I was talking about the constant baiting and jibing from certain members that has been going on for the past few weeks, not the slight disagreement which just took place over the comment made by Rayne on pre-owned games.
Sorry matey. As you know, up until the past week I haven't posted on here for ages so I haven't really seen any of what's happened. It is really starting to dawn on me that there's a bigger underlying problem here though.
DreamcastRIP wrote:Yet another coded personal attack on me full of your usual quotient of snide remarks and rank hypocrisy. Please get over yourself and let it go for the sake of all here.
C-Style never even mentioned you, why are you getting so wound up and trying to start yet another arguement? :roll:

In the short time I've been back here, you've baited me on a couple of threads already, tried to take the 'Oh, I wasn't doing anything wrong' stance when I challenged you, and even quoted me on this thread, attempting to fan the flames of the arguement that had started when my comment had absolutely nothing to do with you.

I did think you were OK at one point a while back, I'm just seeing you as a troll and a wind up merchant now. You might as well just change your avatar to a clown and have done with it. By your reaction here, I'm going to read back through some of the older threads to see what I've missed and then weigh up whether It'd be worth me just putting you onto an ignore list or not.

Hopefully when we've both had a chance to calm down, we'll be able to put this behind us at some point.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:50 am

Anyone wanting to pull any other threads off topic into argument and personal remarks (directly or implied). Feel free.

I'm getting tired of dealing with this stuff over and over again on what's meant to be a forum largely populated by adults talking about videogames.
For the last time, if users have issues they want to discuss about one another or their habits, then please, by all means use the PM button and talk to one another directly. If someone is p*ssing you off then try sending them a polite PM and resolving it that way, or failing that contact me and I will moderate. Don't drag threads off topic into pages of off topic personal remarks and criticism.

This is not aimed at any single users in particular as just about everyone seems to be happy to jump in at various points but I won't be allowing any more threads to be ruined for all the other users of the site as a result.

By all means disagree and debate one anothers opinions, but as soon as it gets personal, its getting locked.

Anyone who wants to discuss it by all means PM me, its what its there for.

FT.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.