Who's getting a 3DS then?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Crunchy

Re: Who's getting a 3DS then?

Post by Crunchy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:31 am

Freestyler wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:Not looking good for 3DS with it being trounced by the relatively ancient PSP. Also had a giggle in seeing PS2 is outselling Xbox 360!
I think the Japanese look at the xbox 360 the same way we in the UK looked at the PC Engine or Neo Geo: If you had one at the time you were part of an ultra-small clique of videogame coolness. Nobody "mainstream" had one, or possibly even knew what one was, despite the fact they were brilliant pieces of kit.
Famitsu publisher Enterbrain puts the number of 360s in japan at end of 2010 as just short of 1.5 million so it's a bit more well known than stuff like the Neo Geo. It's definitely a minority machine over there though, always has been, always will be. One of the japanese lads I met through playing Lost Planet: Colonies said he liked the 360 for the rpgs but that there was too many first person shooters. Probably sums it up for most japanese gamers I should imagine.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:32 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Crunchy wrote:Hard to get a handle on your negativity here. The 3DS is the second highest hardware seller there, and by a large margin. How is that "not looking good" ?
One would normally expect a new hardware launch from Nintendo to be outselling a competitor's system that's been available in Japan since late 2004.
The Wii didn't.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:38 am

Crunchy wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
Crunchy wrote:Hard to get a handle on your negativity here. The 3DS is the second highest hardware seller there, and by a large margin. How is that "not looking good" ?
One would normally expect a new hardware launch from Nintendo to be outselling a competitor's system that's been available in Japan since late 2004.
The Wii didn't.
1. Wii is not a handheld system so the comparison is largely invalid
2. Wii launched in Japan only two years after PSP, 3DS launched there six years two months after PSP so the comparison is again largely invalid
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:53 am

DreamcastRIP wrote: 1. Wii is not a handheld system so the comparison is largely invalid
2. Wii launched in Japan only two years after PSP, 3DS launched there six years two months after PSP so the comparison is again largely invalid
I see where you're coming from now.
You're reading to much into it IMO. The PS2 sold more than the 360 and PS3 at times. So what? Comparable sales don't mean much. As I've said before in this thread, it's too early to say the thing has failed or is failing. This generation has been about slow burners. Only the Wii came up to speed quickly and that was because it opened a new market.
Early sales of the PS3 and 360 were slower than the previous generation because it takes time for the user base to trade up, especially if there's no huge leap in technology to spur it on. The japanese will be reluctant to move from DS and PSP to the 3DS until quality games start arriving that utilise the 3D to good effect. The global market will be the same.
The 3DS has got off to a solid start and it's still selling. It's actually selling a lot more than I thought it would. If you were expecting it come roaring out of the blocks you're being a bit optimistic I think. I doubt Nintendo were. They know their installed userbase better than anyone.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:07 am

Crunchy wrote:The japanese will be reluctant to move from DS and PSP to the 3DS until quality games start arriving that utilise the 3D to good effect. The global market will be the same.
On that much at least I definitely agree.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:28 pm

Oh god, will you two stop bitching?

I wandered around town today and actually got a Street Pass hit. I was pleasantly surprised, I hope more people start doing it

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:19 pm

Wondering IF Japanese sales really mean 'Anything' per say......Master System fared far better in Europe than over there, MD got a kicking from PC Engine in Japan, yet fantastic result in Europe and USA, Saturn fared far better in Japan etc etc.

Add to that, lot of Japanese developers seem to think entire industry is in decline in Japan as it stands and bit of a mixed bag on how important Japan is to wether your hardware is a winner or looser.

Maybe 3DS needs something the Japanese will really go for, to get sales really moving.Is it Dragons Quest? that did wonders for DS? Know the PSP got a shot in the arm with the Monster Hunter series.

Could just be 3DS is waiting for it's true 'Killer App' over there.

Uaithne

Post by Uaithne » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:38 pm

I haven't seen one in the flesh as yet, but some colleagues were quite impressed when they checked one out last week. Might have a look at one - and possibly buy it - when in Melbourne next weekend.
"Not to know what happened before you were born is to be a child forever" -Marcus Tullius Cicero, 46BC

Wants List | Items for Sale

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:45 am

Sales will start to pick up at the time flashcarts are made available for the system as people are reluctant to spend that much on a game in the current climate. Nintendo aren't helping themselves with such a weak selection of titles from the off, certainly been a while since a Mario game wasn't available to buy at launch.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

Vir_Lucis

Post by Vir_Lucis » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:32 am

Rayne wrote:Oh god, will you two stop bitching?

I wandered around town today and actually got a Street Pass hit. I was pleasantly surprised, I hope more people start doing it
Got my first two the other day as well, one of them with some Ridge Racer data on top - such a great addition to the system and it will be really interesting to see how games start using it. Bringing that 'offline' community aspect to the system is a genius idea, and it really does bring a positive emotional response that will make it very popular.
Future Conscience: What do we want to be? - A futurist blog exploring technology, society and ethics @FutureCon

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:00 am

Judging by the news somebody should start a new thread called "Who's returned their 3DS then?" :lol:

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:44 pm

noticed a big sign outside hmv today offering them new for £180...
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:11 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:Judging by the news somebody should start a new thread called "Who's returned their 3DS then?" :lol:
I've seriously contemplated getting rid of mine, will give it another week.Ha! I do like the camera!? :D It's not an awful machine, I just think I've got too used to my iPad and being able to do lots of different things on it.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:22 pm

Frank Chickens wrote: certainly been a while since a Mario game wasn't available to buy at launch.
The last time a brand new Mario was available at launch was Mario 64 wasn't it?

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:30 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:

maybe its not selling so good because the launch line up is underwhelming ?
nah that couldnt be it could it ?
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !