Who's getting a 3DS then?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thevulture

Re: Who's getting a 3DS then?

Post by thevulture » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:23 pm

:wink: And in fairness, i've NEVER taken to Mario Kart, F-Zero and few other franchises the Big N roll out with every piece of hardware, so i would'nt bat an eyelid if they doubled in price in years time.More curious to see what 3rd parties do with the 3DS technology.Potential is there-Just hope it's not case of PS2 ports with 3D stuff.Time will tell.

Haabermaaster

Post by Haabermaaster » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:25 pm

On the subject of games it's always Nintendo themselves that do the best games for their own systems (bar a few choice examples) so buying a 3DS for Nintendo's output alone seems like a very good idea. You won't really be let down.

I need to hold one in my own hands first, since it's impossible to convey the effect through pictures and video. Two hundred quid is a lot of beer and crisps!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:31 pm

Haabermaaster wrote:On the subject of games it's always Nintendo themselves that do the best games for their own systems (bar a few choice examples) so buying a 3DS for Nintendo's output alone seems like a very good idea. You won't really be let down.

I need to hold one in my own hands first, since it's impossible to convey the effect through pictures and video. Two hundred quid is a lot of beer and crisps!
Personally speaking (and i'm probably THE exception to the rule) Never bought a Nintendo system for 'Nintendo' games

GBA:Bought for Rebelstar, N64-Perfect Dark and Goldeneye (Ok, Ninty owned part of 'em, but i class these as RARE's games). Gamecube:Resident Evil Remake+Resident Evil 4, Et.Darkness_MGS:Twin Snakes.

Usually end up buying the odd Nintendo franchise to 'See what the fuss is about'.

:oops: Mind you, Yoshi's Island (GBA) Just an amazing game.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:15 am

For those getting excited about Zelda here's a great comparison shot between the N64 and 3DS remake:

For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:38 pm

Lorfarius wrote:For those getting excited about Zelda here's a great comparison shot between the N64 and 3DS remake:

Woohoo!!! it's very, very slightly better!!!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:52 pm

Eeehhhh.....it does look better, but there's also an amount of overkill in there that takes away from the game's charm. The screen looks a bit too 'busy' on the 3DS :?

I'm sure it'll still be great fun though. I've already preordered it. :)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:13 pm

im still undecided, had a good play on one the other day but not sure if i can justify the cost. The prices has steadily been dropping too, gamestation started off at £230, then £220 and in morrisons they are doing pre-orders for £197. May see if gamestation will price match as i have about 60 quid of credit in there (or shall i just use that on bulletstorm and gears of war 3 when it comes out)

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:36 pm

The bottom screen has link in it, the top one doesn't. Maybe the green would brighten up the dark, dingy image they choose. I wonder if they also sell hair replacement products.

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:42 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:Eeehhhh.....it does look better, but there's also an amount of overkill in there that takes away from the game's charm. The screen looks a bit too 'busy' on the 3DS :?

I'm sure it'll still be great fun though. I've already preordered it. :)
Ocarina of Time is my favourite ever game. My point is, it should look bloody better!
I'm not sure the 3DS would replace my iPad in terms of handheld gaming though.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:46 pm

:wink: The top piccy:looks like store owner been forced to use energy saving light bulbs (link is auctually in the shop, you just cannot see him) due to E.U regulations....

Where as in the bottom shot, he thinks F**K that, still got those 100W bulbs in the cellar, sod the carbon foot print and puts them up.

It's either that or there's been a fuel shortage in top piccy-Links been in-panic buying and robbed matey blind!

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:49 pm

I may get a 3ds when the price drops and if it dosn't turn out to be a gimmik machine...
As yet I'm not convinced 3d actualy adds anything to a game other than sore eyes quicker... hey I'm getting old!
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:50 am

No, there is still life in my GBA SP yet :D
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:51 am

Our 3DS turned up today. Expect reviews from issue 89.

PacSuit

Post by PacSuit » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:52 am

Preordered the Aqua Blue 3DS with Super Monkey Ball 3D for £211.99 from Amazon.

I don't care what people say about Super Monkey Ball, it's one of my favourite series.

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:02 pm

got a blue one pre-ordered for 196 from Play...only game I want is Pilotwings but might get PES too on the day, have Puzzle Bobble pre ordered too but that comes later. want quite a few standard DS games tho...