The future of retro gaming

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thesubcon3

The future of retro gaming

Post by thesubcon3 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:17 pm

So I just noticed something that I feel is going to be horrible for retro gaming in the future. I decided to play some LittleBigPlanet on PS3 yesterday night and it had a required update to run. Once I updated I noticed that almost all the sections are now crossed out and they don't let you access them. This is likely due to LittleBigPlanet2 coming out and bandwidth resources going towards that. Thing is that half of the fun I had with LittleBigPlanet was going onto their servers and downloading/playing some of the user created levels. This has greatly limited the appeal of the original game now as all there is to play is the main game now.

Have any other games this generation already applied similar tactics of removing content?

I understand Microsoft shutting down the original Xbox servers, but that was years after the console had been phased out. Never have I seen a game get sanitized before the lifespan of the console has been eclipsed.

Fred83

Re: The future of retro gaming

Post by Fred83 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:31 pm

i have feeling youngsters wouldn't care!.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:07 pm

Think about what will happen when the Xbox 360 reaches the end of its lifepsan. All the DLC for games such as map packs, extra missions and sidequests, characters, game modes, costumes and more importantly all the arcade games will be lost when the servers shut down on it.

I dont think modern day consoles will be appreciated when they become retro in the same way that we appreciate older systems today because so many games will be incomplete.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:40 pm

Back along i had a free 2-month trail for XBL:Gold membership.Took Ace Combat 6 off the shelf, wanted to give it a whirl on-line.It was quite happy to try and sell me aircraft, paint schemes etc that could only be used during online games, yet the online game servers had been stopped.

Think PS3 Demon Soul's servers only up for a little while longer.Then that (fantastic) aspect of the game gone.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:43 pm

I can no longer play Forza 2 as it claims I need to re download extra content. Fine except XBLA thinks I've never bought it in the first place so I'd have to pay twice

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:04 pm

Collecting will be completely dead for anything past the current gen of consoles and you'll have to re-buy and re-buy and re buy. Frankly, all I can say is... F'UCK. DIGITAL. DISTRIBUTION.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:14 pm

I didn't know the done that with LBP, that's a horrible marketing ploy to get you to upgrade to the sequel. Obviously with games are are centred around online play and content then it's going to be sad to see them go in the future. But many games are still available that are great single player experiences and I expect that we will be able to the play them in the future. So it's not all grim, and of course there will always be what we have already which is a huge selection of consoles and games to play. :)

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:15 pm

I always wondered about his myself. Games that thrive online are going to feel very shallow once they drop the online support for them, perhaps even unplayable in some cases.

It's a shame but I don't think most game developers really want us still playing today's games in 5-10 years or whatever, sometimes they don't want us playing them just a year later. Giving games such intentionally short lifespans makes them seem much more dissposable, sure they're the big f'ing deal when they come out with all the hype, but once next year's update/sequel comes out it's forgotten about completely. Soon they'll say retro gaming is as bad as piracy. :lol:

Sorry to sound like a fanboy , but Nintendo are one of the few developers that understand that some fans will always want to replay their games. Yeah they milk it a bit with the virtual console and re-releases but at least they're there, and fans can continue to play the classics from generation to generation. The online modes for recent games won't last forever but the single player and local multiplayer modes for Mario Kart and Brawl are solid enough to preserve the experience. And games such as Galaxy are all on the disc in their entirity, with no critical online component. Even Capcom's TvC didn't come with all that DLC crap on the Wii.
Last edited by pratty on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:19 pm

ShadowNeku wrote:Think about what will happen when the Xbox 360 reaches the end of its lifepsan. All the DLC for games such as map packs, extra missions and sidequests, characters, game modes, costumes and more importantly all the arcade games will be lost when the servers shut down on it.
Not to mention the indie games, which can't be played unless you're connected. It's sad to think that in, perhaps, five years (?) I won't be able to play such things as I MAED A GAME W1TH ZOMB1ES IN IT!! (or however they spell it).
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:37 pm

All the 360's will have RROD'ed by then anyway

DanWelsh86

Post by DanWelsh86 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:49 pm

I don't see PSN or XBL ever leaving, unless Sony or MS die an unlikely death (especially Sony) they will always be with us and as the interwebz progresses the bandwith, storage and access to DLC will just be archived on the servers for generations to come, combine this with PSN titles being hacked on custom firware and distributed without the need of PSN if we want in years to come.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:56 pm

How can something as awful as the 360 ever be seen as retro.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

James A

Post by James A » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:46 am

You'd think that when the consoles life span is nearly over that they would disable the DRM. I can see Microsoft though transfering XBLA and the downloads with it over to the next gen machine, Sony though i have my doubts about. I think we'll see alot of private servers set up in the future for games like COD 4 when the offical ones are pulled.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:48 am

That's a bit off with Little Big Planet.

I hope they publicise that and all the stores knock it down to a fiver to compensate for only getting a little bit of the game.

Can you still share user created levels via a memory stick (or was that never an option)?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:54 am

Digital distribution will kill some areas of retro gaming. I download the odd XBLA game, but only stuff I can't buy on a disc for this exact reason. I'd never buy the likes of RDR over XBLA - 1) because of price 2) because I know when the servers get pulled, I probably won't be able to play it again.

There will also be many, many games that won't be playable because they are largely multiplayer once they fade from being the best thing since sliced bread - which is quite sad, as many will remain very good games.

Bring back the bots I say . .
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.