How about a seperate forum for each console?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8018
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: How about a seperate forum for each console?

Post by gman72 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:36 am

MediaCult wrote:
gman72 wrote:
MediaCult wrote:How about it? Or at least for each company. Like on for Sony PS one for Nintendo etc. ? And then under that, one for retro and one for non-retro.
NO
YES :P
Oh, go on then.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

thl
Posts: 4427
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:52 am

Re: How about a seperate forum for each console?

Post by thl » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:45 am

Sir Hilary Bray wrote:How about one section for retro, and another for modern?
C=Style wrote:I think a Modern/Retro section would work tbh
I second that.

I mentioned it to one of the moderators before about the idea of moving current-gen related topics to another folder. Still unsure if it's going to happen though.

User avatar
NintendoLegend
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:35 pm
Contact:

Re: How about a seperate forum for each console?

Post by NintendoLegend » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:29 am

Tooting my own horn: At least for NES discussion specifically, check the link in my signature for my board...
Nintendo Legend -- one retro gamer's quest to play and review every NTSC-region NES game!

My favorite retro-gaming shirt -- "Pipe Dreams"

Pssst: Use promo code “NLegend” at J2Games.com for 20% off! New titles, classic carts, whatever!

User avatar
slacey1070
Posts: 2850
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:20 am

Re: How about a seperate forum for each console?

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:38 am

thl wrote:
Sir Hilary Bray wrote:How about one section for retro, and another for modern?
C=Style wrote:I think a Modern/Retro section would work tbh
I second that.

I mentioned it to one of the moderators before about the idea of moving current-gen related topics to another folder. Still unsure if it's going to happen though.
I'm a no on this. I'd probably not use the forum anywhere near as much if I need to check even more places - plus the moderators would have more work to do - and we'd have so many "what is retro/modern" debates it would kill it for me. I mean, would playing Gameroom on xbox be modern or retro?

Newbies would be endlessly confused.

What would be useful is ensuring subject headers reflected the posts - that way, you can pick what you wish to read.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

User avatar
joefish
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: How about a seperate forum for each console?

Post by joefish » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:40 am

'Console'..?

User avatar
snowkatt
Posts: 6655
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:18 am

Re: How about a seperate forum for each console?

Post by snowkatt » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:15 pm

slacey1070 wrote:
thl wrote:
Sir Hilary Bray wrote:How about one section for retro, and another for modern?
C=Style wrote:I think a Modern/Retro section would work tbh
I second that.

I mentioned it to one of the moderators before about the idea of moving current-gen related topics to another folder. Still unsure if it's going to happen though.
I'm a no on this. I'd probably not use the forum anywhere near as much if I need to check even more places - plus the moderators would have more work to do - and we'd have so many "what is retro/modern" debates it would kill it for me. I mean, would playing Gameroom on xbox be modern or retro?

Newbies would be endlessly confused.

What would be useful is ensuring subject headers reflected the posts - that way, you can pick what you wish to read.
i agree with slacey on this a very much no
it would just needlessly confuse and fracture
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

User avatar
MikeFishcake
Posts: 1176
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:10 am
Location: Manchester/Stockport
Contact:

Re: How about a seperate forum for each console?

Post by MikeFishcake » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:09 pm

I'm another no-no.

No to the separate forums for each console, and No to the retro/current gen split. We have regular discussions about what is and what isn't retro, which usually end up with most people saying it's a matter of opinion. It would become unbearable if we had to define what retro was. Just imagine the arguments and pedantry. No way. Nuh huh. Not a chance.

User avatar
MikeFishcake
Posts: 1176
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:10 am
Location: Manchester/Stockport
Contact:

Re: How about a seperate forum for each console?

Post by MikeFishcake » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:12 pm

Plus, you couldn't even just draw the between "current gen" and "other"; there would be disagreements on where to put games from classic franchises.

User avatar
ShadowNeku
Posts: 2135
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:10 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: How about a seperate forum for each console?

Post by ShadowNeku » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:25 pm

Where would retro compilations such as the Megadrive ultimate collection fit in? Is that retro or are we taking into acount thats its on a current gen console?
Threads would end up derailed by people arguing wether or not the topic is retro or modern.

Too much hassle, dont change the forum, its lovely.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

User avatar
Freestyler
Posts: 4150
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: How about a seperate forum for each console?

Post by Freestyler » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:36 pm

MediaCult wrote:How about it? Or at least for each company. Like on for Sony PS one for Nintendo etc. ? And then under that, one for retro and one for non-retro.
Nice idea, but absolutely, positively, 100% NO.

I can understand your reasoning (why should you have to trawl through loads of Wii stuff if all you care about is Retro, for example) but I've seen the results of separatist forums; it's not a nice place to go. At all.

Never have I seen a bunch of nasty, ill-mannered, deliberately elitist and cretinous fan-base as when I make the mistake of trying to read a Single-Format (or even single game) website. Imagine going to a Halo Reach portal and typing that you "quite like to play Black Ops sometimes too." Yeah, good luck with that.

You'd get deliberate flame-bait posts by non-owners of that console, ultra-elite "Why my console beats yours" threads, and a much-narrowed membership as most people would simply leave (or be scared off from joining) by the rabid circle-jerk fanboi-ism on display. Worst case scenario you might think, but I've seen site after site die like that. This one is fine as it is.

Just ignore any particular thread you're not interested in. I do. :wink:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

User avatar
C=Style
Posts: 9053
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 4:07 pm
Contact:

Re: How about a seperate forum for each console?

Post by C=Style » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:14 pm

slacey1070 wrote:
thl wrote:
Sir Hilary Bray wrote:How about one section for retro, and another for modern?
C=Style wrote:I think a Modern/Retro section would work tbh
I second that.

I mentioned it to one of the moderators before about the idea of moving current-gen related topics to another folder. Still unsure if it's going to happen though.
I'm a no on this. I'd probably not use the forum anywhere near as much if I need to check even more places - plus the moderators would have more work to do - and we'd have so many "what is retro/modern" debates it would kill it for me. I mean, would playing Gameroom on xbox be modern or retro?

Newbies would be endlessly confused.

What would be useful is ensuring subject headers reflected the posts - that way, you can pick what you wish to read.
It would mean just 1 extra mouse click, how would that change things so drastically for you and the moderators?

Instead what it would do is clean up the forum so those wanting to chat about retro games don't have to wade through 15 different threads on COD and Uncharted. Now I know that is an exaggeration and it doesn't quite happen like that here but there's still a lot of current gen talk and I'd say it outweighs the retro stuff by some margin.
Image

thl
Posts: 4427
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:52 am

Re: How about a seperate forum for each console?

Post by thl » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:01 pm

C=Style wrote:Instead what it would do is clean up the forum so those wanting to chat about retro games don't have to wade through 15 different threads on COD and Uncharted. Now I know that is an exaggeration and it doesn't quite happen like that here but there's still a lot of current gen talk and I'd say it outweighs the retro stuff by some margin.
The first thing I see in the 'It's all about the game' section are the thread titles based on current-gens. It's likely that everybody are instantly going to get drawn into it and does make the retro-gaming threads become overlooked (or it could be vice versa) meaning that it'll be very unbalance. Nowadays I don't know what topic or thread really captures me as it's getting confusing, misleading and showing very little interest.

Gabe
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:24 am

Re: How about a seperate forum for each console?

Post by Gabe » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:34 pm

The amount of current-gen stuff reflects the membership here; if there was more interest in talking about retro games the threads would be there - but they aren't. Splitting the forum in any way would make that more obvious.

Out of interest, what good forums *are* out there for general retro talk? I've never really found a good site and there isn't the traffic here to visit any more than a couple of times a week.

User avatar
slacey1070
Posts: 2850
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:20 am

Re: How about a seperate forum for each console?

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:50 am

[
C=Style wrote:It would mean just 1 extra mouse click, how would that change things so drastically for you and the moderators?

Instead what it would do is clean up the forum so those wanting to chat about retro games don't have to wade through 15 different threads on COD and Uncharted. Now I know that is an exaggeration and it doesn't quite happen like that here but there's still a lot of current gen talk and I'd say it outweighs the retro stuff by some margin.
Because the moderators would be endlessly moving posts that had been put in the wrong place. And I personally wouldn't want to check several places rather than one for a dose of gaming discussion.

As I & others have said, how on Earth are you going to define "retro" anyway? If regulars on here can't define what retro really means, how would a newbie do it? They probably wouldn't. If someone has a thread going on Shoot Em Ups & then someone posts "Have you seen the new SEU on XBLA?" is that retro or current? Would you delete it? Would you move the post? Close the thread? Doing what I do for a living, you have to set rules that are clear and people are able to follow. If you don't you have lost before you've begun.

As for wading through other threads, if people are more disciplined with the subject heading, you wouldn't have to. For example, if some says "Lost Oric Gem" - I just don't open it because its of no interest to me.

Gaming is a rats nest of ideas, view, comments. Seperating them out would be a lifes work for some poor soul & the diversity of this forum is why I read it, along with the knowledgable and interesting people who contribute. Its the only gaming forum I read. For me, its not broken, so don't try and fix it.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

User avatar
Freestyler
Posts: 4150
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: How about a seperate forum for each console?

Post by Freestyler » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:21 am

How about us (the actual thread creators) just marking a thread as RETRO in the title? Such as "RETRO - The best Shooter" or "RETRO - Game Plots" ? Those without the word Retro in the title could be taken to mean they're roughly about "current gen" titles or gaming.

Then again the whole point of Retro is that the games - at some point in time - were current gen. The first Call of Duty game is retro, (Yes it is. Yes it bloody well is.) but any discussion on that will inevitably bring up Modern Warfare and Black Ops. Both current gen.

Basically:
Gabe wrote:The amount of current-gen stuff reflects the membership here; if there was more interest in talking about retro games the threads would be there - but they aren't. Splitting the forum in any way would make that more obvious.
Sums it up better than my mini-rants ever could.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests