Franchises that have lost there way this gen

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Ferret Oxide
Posts: 2473
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:27 am
Location: Loading screen

Re: Franchises that have lost there way this gen

Post by Ferret Oxide » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:51 am

o.pwuaioc wrote:
Ferret Oxide wrote:Sonic the Hedgehog, sadly. That doesn't require any explanation, either.

Most sports games seem to suffer from this, too.
I would have thought the opposite, that the Sonic games lost their way years ago and only recently have come back well.
Yes, unfortunately I'm an idiot and I missed the 'this gen' part of the thread title.

User avatar
ironmonger
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:25 pm
Location: UK

Re: Franchises that have lost there way this gen

Post by ironmonger » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:04 am

It's already been mentioned, but definitely Resident Evil. Now I still enjoyed playing through Resident Evil 5 several times, but for the next installment they need to go back to the roots of survival horror and ditch the co-op action-game style. Having a partner with you throughout the whole game destroys any potential sense of fear or horror and in some instances, just becomes a pain in the arse.

Also Call of Duty, whilst I've enjoyed playing pretty much each annual update online, they need to add some innovation or a new game engine. Or at least steal some things from Battlefield, like destructible environments. I have abosultely no hope of this happening any time soon, because Activision are more than happy to release the same game every year, and fools like me will go and buy it! :oops:

User avatar
nakamura
Posts: 7582
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:32 pm
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Franchises that have lost there way this gen

Post by nakamura » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:23 am

will2097 wrote:Agree with final fantasy. 1 through 9 were classics, 10, 10x2, 12, and 14 have been a bit funky.
FF10 had a pretty awesome battle system, more strategic than the other titles and it is popular in USA and JP but not so much here. FF12 is the most radical redesign of any RPG and people stupidly rejected it. Had Square rested on their laurels and pumped out another turn based RPG people would have said they lack creativity and are churning out the same old crap.

Devs can't win sometimes. Same with all the people who don't like Resi 4 really. had Capcom given us another pre-rendered clunk-fest it would have been good, but nowhere near as acclaimed. It gave the stale genre a shot in the arm. Is it better than the others? Yes, and no but that is besides the point. It is nice to have the variety I think.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

User avatar
ShadowNeku
Posts: 2135
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:10 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Franchises that have lost there way this gen

Post by ShadowNeku » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:15 am

nakamura wrote: FF10 had a pretty awesome battle system, more strategic than the other titles and it is popular in USA and JP but not so much here. FF12 is the most radical redesign of any RPG and people stupidly rejected it. Had Square rested on their laurels and pumped out another turn based RPG people would have said they lack creativity and are churning out the same old crap.
Devs can't win sometimes.
I think youre probably right. Its difficult for square to get it right because the PS1 FF titles have been shot to such legendary status that its been hard for them to live up to it. People will inevitably compare each new addition in the core FF series to the older titles. I actually really enjoyed the battle system in X, X-2 and XII. My problem was the characters in XII. Vaan was such a weak lead for the series and balthier was the only one with some real personality. I havent played XIII so i cant pass judgement, but from what ive heard it isnt brilliant.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

User avatar
nakamura
Posts: 7582
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:32 pm
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Franchises that have lost there way this gen

Post by nakamura » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:14 pm

ShadowNeku wrote:
nakamura wrote: FF10 had a pretty awesome battle system, more strategic than the other titles and it is popular in USA and JP but not so much here. FF12 is the most radical redesign of any RPG and people stupidly rejected it. Had Square rested on their laurels and pumped out another turn based RPG people would have said they lack creativity and are churning out the same old crap.
Devs can't win sometimes.
I think youre probably right. Its difficult for square to get it right because the PS1 FF titles have been shot to such legendary status that its been hard for them to live up to it. People will inevitably compare each new addition in the core FF series to the older titles. I actually really enjoyed the battle system in X, X-2 and XII. My problem was the characters in XII. Vaan was such a weak lead for the series and balthier was the only one with some real personality. I havent played XIII so i cant pass judgement, but from what ive heard it isnt brilliant.
Bathier was the lead character in FFXII. Matsuno wanted to use him but the execs at Square wanted someone more, well like Vaan. That is why he has little back story. Nice lad and all that, not too annoying but not much depth. FFX-2 was brilliant to actually play. The best turn based battle system to watch and to play. The movement of the characters in battle was excellent.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

User avatar
Sir Hilary Bray
Posts: 1041
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:53 pm

Re: Franchises that have lost there way this gen

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:06 pm

How about Crash Bandicoot?

Now I'll be honest, I have not played any of the recent games, so I could be way off the mark here, it's just they are
nowhere near as hyped as they used to be, and I was just wondering if perhaps that was due to the games not
being up to the standard of the originals?

I loved the first three, and I played a Crash game on the Playstation 2 as well, which I remember
being quite decent.

GunstarHero
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: Franchises that have lost there way this gen

Post by GunstarHero » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:51 pm

Amazed nobody has mentoned Guilty Gears, what the hell was Guilty Gears 2 meant to be?
Still Blazblue is a better franchise in my opinion so that makes up for it, and it started this gen.

Also I love Fallout 3 and Oblivion but I'm also surprised that nobody has mentioned those.

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re: Franchises that have lost there way this gen

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:03 am

Fallout. The first 2 were brilliantly atmospheric turn-based strategy RPG games. The third is...not
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
thevulture
Posts: 10152
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Franchises that have lost there way this gen

Post by thevulture » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:57 pm

Sir Hilary Bray wrote:How about Crash Bandicoot?

Now I'll be honest, I have not played any of the recent games, so I could be way off the mark here, it's just they are
nowhere near as hyped as they used to be, and I was just wondering if perhaps that was due to the games not
being up to the standard of the originals?

I loved the first three, and I played a Crash game on the Playstation 2 as well, which I remember
being quite decent.
Crash strayed a little on PS1:Crash Team Racing.Remember that?.

User avatar
thevulture
Posts: 10152
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Franchises that have lost there way this gen

Post by thevulture » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:59 pm

Conflict Series (Desert Storm1,2, Vietnam etc).Ok, Nam was a dip in quality, but this gen with Denied Op's was huge let down.

Gabe
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:24 am

Re: Franchises that have lost there way this gen

Post by Gabe » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:58 pm

ShadowNeku wrote:I know a lot of people have commented on how awkward it is to control your character on early Resi, but i personally never found this. With consideration of the world you're in the controls work fine. I never felt at a large disadvantage or that the game was unfair because most zombies are slow moving and for harder enemies you just have to keep your wits about you. You might end up dying a few times but it teaches you. I felt the simple combat added to the survival horror experiance because it made your character feel more like a normal, everyday person. Chris Redfield in Resi 5 in comparison is a walking tank.

Id agree though that the direction the games have taken this gen were more suited for the modern gamer, and maybe it was a necessary move for the series to survive.
It's not just the controls that were the problem (though there does seem to be this arrogance in rigidly sticking to a control scheme that is rather archiac - hell, even if you accept you can't aim a gun and move, why must you stand still to slash a knife?), I think Sheva was the bigger problem. Her AI was painful and clumsy and made the game far more of a chore than it should have been.

User avatar
fingers
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:52 pm

Re: Franchises that have lost there way this gen

Post by fingers » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:45 pm

I still think Pro Ev is way beter than fifa, the game play is always more accurate and much quicker than fifas, fifa wins hands down on graphics and the fact they have all the teams u could want and every player playing for these teams. always fall down on the gameplay though. imo

User avatar
fingers
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:52 pm

Re: Franchises that have lost there way this gen

Post by fingers » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:10 pm

i have to say as an addition pro ev for the wii is one of the best games i have ever played. being able to tell the players round about you where they should be is inspired. if only i could do this at 5's!!! and im sure many of my friends would like to tell me where to go too :D

User avatar
Liamh1982
Posts: 8297
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:11 am
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: Franchises that have lost there way this gen

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:18 am

^ As a Pro Evo nut, I can't agree with everything you're saying about the Wii version - have you played online? Sometimes the lag is horrific and if your opponent quits, you don't get the win.

User avatar
firebreather
Posts: 1702
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:31 am
Location: Lancaster
Contact:

Re: Franchises that have lost there way this gen

Post by firebreather » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:49 am

PubZombie wrote:res evil - as soon as they lost zombies, i didnt like res 4 i just found my suspension of disbelief [that could cope with zombies and mutant super dudes] lost it with midgits & giant mechs :roll: and i found res 5 insulting on a few levels, least of all that it had turned into a shooter.
pretty much getting sick of the market saturation with all fps games - Call of Duty has lost the plot, all i play now is mp co-op zombies. cant drum up the enthusiasm to buy fps games much now, for me they peaked with bad company 2 and arma 2
bullet storm looks like it will personify all my niggles with the genre at present
this may be presumptious - but the fact that XCom - ufo defence is going to be an fps; causes me great pain :evil:
amen to all of that
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests