Franchises that have lost there way this gen

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Crunchy

Re: Franchises that have lost there way this gen

Post by Crunchy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:57 am

There's a fair few franchises that actually started this gen that have already managed to lose their way for me.

I've enjoyed Lost Planet, Bioshock, Dead Space, Crackdown, Two Worlds and Dragon Age ... and have passed, or intend to pass, on the sequels.

Mostly it's down to the bolt-on generic multiplayer or emphasis on co-op. With Two Worlds, a game that's supposedly much improved over the alarmingly bad but oft hilarious original, it's simply down to an overdose of western rpgs. The current demo for Dragon Age 2 has killed my interest in that particular game stone dead.

I'd also like to throw the Fable franchise into the mix. Every further game is an example of the law of diminsishing returns. There's just less actual game with every sequel. All in the interests of "accesibility" of course. I'm expecting Fable 5 to comprise of a multiple choice questionnaire and some pretty pictures of Albion.

Raziel

Post by Raziel » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:59 am

Rayne wrote:DMC4 was awful. It was like they finished making the video game, realised it was too short and decided it'd be a good idea to make you backtrack through half of the stages once and then once again as Dante. Yaaaawn. Although the reboot does actually look really kick-ass.

I don't get the Resi 5 hate though, it wasn't a perfect game by any stretch of imagination but it was fun and very, very pretty.

Agreed I think the franchise needs taking back to it roots taking the best elements from one and three. It looks ok, I just think it should've been taken the new Ip route or spin off.

I don't hate Resi 5. I just found it to be too shooty and very repetetive.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:13 am

Raziel wrote: I don't hate Resi 5. I just found it to be too shooty and very repetetive.
After playing the Lost In Nightmares Resi 5 DLC I think you can see how close the developers are to satisfying everybody with a modernised Resi if they just gave themselves a bit of a push.

Lost In Nightmares is a pretty good example of how traditional Resi would play with the more modern fluid control system. It also has much creepier horror atmosphere than the main Resi 5 campaign. The only problem with it is it needs just a bit more action in the way of enemies and a few surprises in there to get the player twitching at the sound of a door creaking and suchlike. There's plenty of claustrophobic passageways that aren't used in any way, either as a combat locale or for tension building. You can see the potential of it though. Well, I can at least.

Raziel

Post by Raziel » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:22 am

My Mrs is a big Resi fan and she dl'd Lost in Nightmares. I had a blast and quite enjoyed it; definitely better than the main game.

Its not I can't see the potential. I'm just not a fan of the franchise being too shooty, which is the same reason I didn't really like 4.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:28 am

Lost in Nightmares was an excellent piece of DLC. A bit short on action in the beginning but getting to explore the RE1 mansion again negated that complaint. I loved the bit where you were unarmed and had to lure the enemies in the traps to kill them. The only thing that did annoy me slightly was the boss fight, found him a right pain in the ass to beat!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:35 am

Raziel wrote:My Mrs is a big Resi fan and she dl'd Lost in Nightmares. I had a blast and quite enjoyed it; definitely better than the main game.

Its not I can't see the potential. I'm just not a fan of the franchise being too shooty, which is the same reason I didn't really like 4.
Depends what you mean by "too shooty".
If you mean "hardly any shooting at all" then the Resi games would be seriously dull affairs, much like the lost In Nightmares DLC. Nice on atmoshpere, admittedly, but not much there in the way of getting your heart pounding.
At the same time there's no doubt that Resi 5 is more of a shooter than a classic survival horror game.
I think there's a happy medium to be struck and the Lost In Nightmares level nearly nailed it.

Raziel

Post by Raziel » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:54 am

Crunchy wrote: I think there's a happy medium to be struck
Agreed.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:41 am

Rayne wrote:DMC4 was awful. It was like they finished making the video game, realised it was too short and decided it'd be a good idea to make you backtrack through half of the stages once and then once again as Dante. Yaaaawn. Although the reboot does actually look really kick-ass.
DMC4 suffered the same problem that Metal Gear Solid 2 had. Changing the main character to a slightly less baddass/unlikeable character. When the protaganist of a franchise is such a strong character, the player doesnt want to buy a sequal and take control os someone else instead. You want more of what you liked. Nobody wanted to be using Raiden in Metal Gear and the only time you got to control Dante in DMC4 was through the lame backtracking section where you just had to fight all the same bosses again. It was a lazy idea.
Raziel wrote:My Mrs is a big Resi fan and she dl'd Lost in Nightmares. I had a blast and quite enjoyed it; definitely better than the main game.

I dont know about it being better than the main game but it was definately a great addition.
It did feel very nostalgic to be wandering around a mansion again with Chris and Jill united.
Probably one of my favourite pieces of DLC from any game on 360.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Raziel

Post by Raziel » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:54 pm

ShadowNeku wrote:DMC4 suffered the same problem that Metal Gear Solid 2 had. Changing the main character to a slightly less baddass/unlikeable character.

It was a lazy idea.

I dont know about it being better than the main game but it was definately a great addition.
It did feel very nostalgic to be wandering around a mansion again with Chris and Jill united.
Probably one of my favourite pieces of DLC from any game on 360.
Nero was no Dante.. but I didn't particularly mind him gameplay wise bar the fact his arm could've done with toning down a little.

The whole game was nothing more than a lazy rehash of old ideas, not a patch on the original or Dmc 3, imo. Looking at the reboot, I don't think the franchise is as stale as it has been made out to be it just needs taking back to its roots. Get rid of the all the contempary stuff.. (it didn't work in Dmc 2) and bring back that whole biblical (Book of Revelations) sense to the game.

Tbh, I enjoyed Lost in Nightmares way more than the main game. It kind of felt like that Capcom were teasing as in what they could've done with the main game. I don't mean have it occur in the Mansion just in-terms of atmosphere and what not.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:05 pm

Crunchy wrote:

Depends what you mean by "too shooty".
If you mean "hardly any shooting at all" then the Resi games would be seriously dull affairs, much like the lost In Nightmares DLC. Nice on atmoshpere, admittedly, but not much there in the way of getting your heart pounding.
At the same time there's no doubt that Resi 5 is more of a shooter than a classic survival horror game.
I think there's a happy medium to be struck and the Lost In Nightmares level nearly nailed it.
I think if Resi 5 was set at night with lots of shocks and scare people would love it. It is a good game to play, it just seems to lack atmosphere.

Imagine it at night in fog and with rain and storms. :D
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:14 pm

Ferret Oxide wrote:Sonic the Hedgehog, sadly. That doesn't require any explanation, either.

Most sports games seem to suffer from this, too.
I would have thought the opposite, that the Sonic games lost their way years ago and only recently have come back well.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:18 pm

Sports games are getting better too. NHL, NBA, Fifa and the like are all fantastic games. There is an element of fun perhaps missing due to the efforts of simulations but they are all fantastic games. Depends on what you want.

Pity PES has fallen by the wayside so much. I was playing W.E 9 last night and it is still superb.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Raziel

Post by Raziel » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:54 pm

nakamura wrote:I think if Resi 5 was set at night with lots of shocks and scare people would love it. It is a good game to play, it just seems to lack atmosphere.

Imagine it at night in fog and with rain and storms. :D
I'd have definitely got on better with it had that of been the case. I think what did me in the most was the rinse and repeat approach it took.. shoot a load of zombies.. move forwards shoot more zombies and so on.. it felt way too much like Gears. Sheva's character was decent enough but having someone constantly there also took a way any sense of isolation for me.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:27 pm

I vastly enjoyed all the core resident evil games...including 4 & 5.

I picked up 5 originally around its release, and gave it away to a friend when I picked up the gold edition so we could play co-op together, and I had GREAT fun with that, if there was less QTE and button mashing (as my friend is terrible at it sometimes) it would have been perfect. It had plenty of replayability and some fun little segments to it.

That said - Lost in Nightmares was EXCELLENT, could have done with being a seperate game (resi 6 almost) being as long as a core game and having much more shooting sections and actual enemies. However the return to puzzling was good as it kept me stumped on the one section with the ceiling crushing Jill again. Very good piece of DLC in my opinion.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:07 am

Agree with final fantasy. 1 through 9 were classics, 10, 10x2, 12, and 14 have been a bit funky.

Resident Evil 5 would have been fine had it not been called "Resident Evil 5". 1,2 and 3, Code Veronica and Zero were all okay, but then 4 was awesome last gen, but 5? There was too much irritation in 5. It now seems to be aping the Resident Evil films (and Gears of War) only badly.