Uncharted Alternative? (for Xbox)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Riddler

Uncharted Alternative? (for Xbox)

Post by Riddler » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi guys,

I am a massive fan of adventure games. I love the exploration, puzzles and story of these types of games. Like a lot of 360 gamers i am really bummed i will never get Uncharted on the Xbox.

Can anyone of you recommend a good alternative? I want to get Enslaved and still haven't played Asassins Creed.

I already have the following so no need to mention:
Force Unleasehd 1 & 2
Lost Planet
GTA 4
Fallout 3
Mass Effect
Red Dead Redemtion
Ghostbusters
Iron Man
Superman (.....yeah i know)

Freestyler

Re: Uncharted Alternative? (for Xbox)

Post by Freestyler » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:21 pm

Get your ass onto Lost Cause and Lost cause 2. Both can be had for less than a tenner by now.

Both are fully open-ended, and you can basically "Do what you like" there. Sandbox. Just Cause has been referred to as "GTA in the Jungle" and I suppose that's accurate. They're slightly more about air travel though, as the islands are truly massive, and the constant Jet Fighters, Bombers, Gliders, Helicopters and even Boeing 747's you can pinch really help out a lot for travel! (There is a fast travel option called Extraction, but why go quick when you can fly by stolen Virgin Atlantic? :lol: )

Vid from the wonderful Just Cause 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BOtdFUDdFI
Demo it at least. It's on Xbox Live. :wink:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:28 pm

Uncharted is a mix of gears of war and tomb raider, so the obvious place to start would be those two games. Dark void is ok too, Nolan North even does the voice of the main character.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:30 pm

I forgot to say that the Just Cause games - especially no2 - actively encourages you to blow censored up. "Cause Chaos" as they so-cheekily call it. :lol:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:46 pm

Also consider the massively overlooked Darksiders.

Lots of exploration, puzzles and combat. It also has a lot of nods towards the Zelda games too.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:58 pm

The big difference between Just Cause 2 and GTA4 is that Just Cause 2 is actually fun, and very very good.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:58 pm

Tomb Raider Legend and Tomb Raider Underworld

Both of which can be bought for about a fiver each....

Tomb Raider Legend is a really good game - more puzzly than Uncharted, there are similar levels....

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:19 pm

Has to be Alan Wake, a superb xbox360 exclusive Batman Arkham Asylum is also worth a look , either of those will suit you well. What about buying a ps3 and getting Uncharted 1 and 2, no other games franchize comes close to them imo I however must admit to prefering the first Uncharted. The third is also looking superb, so I say bite the bullit sell a kidney and buy a ps3
"Time fades even legend..."

James A

Post by James A » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:38 am

Joey wrote:Also consider the massively overlooked Darksiders.

Lots of exploration, puzzles and combat. It also has a lot of nods towards the Zelda games too.
I'd second that but i still haven't been able to defeat the first boss (Tiamat??? ) on it. Not sure if i had it on the hardest setting or not but i got killed within a minuite everytime by it. Might go back to this and have another look at it sometime.

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:01 pm

Joey wrote:Also consider the massively overlooked Darksiders.

Good call, completed it on ps3 superb story the main character War is a very likeable character, I am sure I read they are making number two. Very much reminded me off the Legasy Of Kain/Soul Reaver series which is I might add my favourite gaming series ever, I hope they will somehow release another or even the whole series remade in HD on ps3.
"Time fades even legend..."

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:48 pm

Horses for courses I guess, but I thought darksiders was repetitive and had far too much simplistic fighting.

goldenone

Post by goldenone » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:33 am

If you like Uncharted then Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is definately the game to go for.

Very under-rated game IMO :)

Riddler

Post by Riddler » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:00 am

Thanks all,

There are some really great recommendations i really love the look of. I think the top faves to buy at the moment are:

Alan Wake
Just Cause 2
Enslaved

They should keep me going for a while. As usual, you're all brilliant. :D

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:50 am

Alan Wake is more of mix between Silent Hill game and a Stephen King novel. Not like Uncharted at all, other than being third persion and having shooting.
Just Cause more or less shares the same similarities, plus an exotic setting. Much closer to GTA than Uncharted.
Enslaved is probably the one that's closest to Uncharted, only it's more melee than shooting.

I suggest you get Tomb Raider Anniversary. It's a re-imagining of the first ever Tomb Raider game made with the modern Tomb Raider engines. Probably the best modern Tomb Raider there is.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:25 am

Wake is indeed fantastic, mix of Silent Hill, Twin Peaks (setting, characters etc) and Stephen King novels, but like poster above said, nothing like Uncharted.

Get it, just don't expect Uncharted gameplay.