another PC Engine topic

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

llj

Re: another PC Engine topic

Post by llj » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:56 pm

mrchuck999 wrote:Image

Order of the Griffin, nice! That was the very first console RPG I've ever played (though it was a PC game originally) and despite its flaws, was the game that turned me on the genre. Never did beat it though, didn't have the CD-ROM drive used to save games anywhere, and the hucard's password system was ridiculously long and complex, plus it didn't help in dungeons anyway since it just loads you onto the world map after you input the password. The dungeons in this game are so long, there is no way you can complete it one in one sitting and then get out and save.

van

Post by van » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:51 am

I was all amped up for this game when it came out. I lasted about 3 minutes and never played it again.

timewarpgamer

Post by timewarpgamer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:37 pm

Great topic. I've been struggling to track down the details behind the release of the TurboGrafx-16 outside of Japan and the US. So far, all I've come up with is that there was some sort of test market release in Europe. Supposedly, though, it was never officially released outside of Japan and the US. Does that track with the experiences of y'all?
I run the 8/16-bit retro gamer website TimeWarpGamer, and if you want to follow the latest developments, you can find me on Twitter as well.

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:51 pm

timewarpgamer wrote:Great topic. I've been struggling to track down the details behind the release of the TurboGrafx-16 outside of Japan and the US. So far, all I've come up with is that there was some sort of test market release in Europe. Supposedly, though, it was never officially released outside of Japan and the US. Does that track with the experiences of y'all?
I had one and gave it away at my Retro Rewind event last year. They are not as rare as you may think, grey in colour and just as ugly as the US Turbografx.

timewarpgamer

Post by timewarpgamer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:55 pm

sscott wrote:
timewarpgamer wrote:Great topic. I've been struggling to track down the details behind the release of the TurboGrafx-16 outside of Japan and the US. So far, all I've come up with is that there was some sort of test market release in Europe. Supposedly, though, it was never officially released outside of Japan and the US. Does that track with the experiences of y'all?
I had one and gave it away at my Retro Rewind event last year. They are not as rare as you may think, grey in colour and just as ugly as the US Turbografx.
Haha. Yikes. Changing the color to grey just might make it look even uglier than the US version. What was Hudson / NEC thinking? Such a wasted opportunity.
I run the 8/16-bit retro gamer website TimeWarpGamer, and if you want to follow the latest developments, you can find me on Twitter as well.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:43 am

There was also the Vistar, by Daewoo in Korea.

http://nfggames.com/games/vistar/

Some think it was a clone, but I agree with the article. The fact there are adverts (theres one on youtube) suggests it was official.

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:32 pm

oli_lar wrote:
There was also the Vistar, by Daewoo in Korea.

http://nfggames.com/games/vistar/

Some think it was a clone, but I agree with the article. The fact there are adverts (theres one on youtube) suggests it was official.
Ah sweet, didn't know that even existed. Thanks for posting that. I wonder how rare they are.

van

Post by van » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:02 pm

I still can't wrap my head around all of the different versions that are out there.
What was available in the UK?
In the US, we had these...

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:36 am

van wrote:I still can't wrap my head around all of the different versions that are out there.
What was available in the UK?
Just the TG16 itself with a grey case and AV output instead of RF. It wasn't properly released, seems a handful of shops were given some stock as a test release or something, though the fact there are some many brand new ones indicates it didn't sell well. I've never seen, or heard of anyone seeing, any out in the wild.
AmidstStorm wrote: I wonder how rare they are.
Supposedly retro in general is pretty hard to come across in Korea as it is. You'd have to have Korean contacts or ability to use their auction sites, and even then it'll be a long wait for one to come up.

Some other obscure PC Engine variants:

Sharp X1 Twin, a Sharp X1 (8 bit predecessor to the X68000) with a PC Engine added in for good measure. God knows why though, guess the sharp/hudson chip aspect opened the door for such a thing.

Probably know about this, the PCE module for the Laseractive.

PC Engine Hibino - two unique PC Engines dropped into custom cases by a Japanese artist. Not much info about them, but they were official and made for a NEC event from what I can gather.

Not 3rd party or anything, but is cool:

The NEC PC-KD863G, a RGB CRT monitor with a PC Engine built in.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:23 pm

Oh how I miss my engine! I wonder where it is now?

Eat your nans pants