another PC Engine topic

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
van
Posts: 480
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:25 am
Location: USA
Contact:

another PC Engine topic

Post by van » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:00 pm

I have a question. Being a big Turbografx (as we call it here in the u.s. of a.) fan, i obviously notice the lack of attention it gets here and in the mags.
What was the story with the UK? Was it never officially released? When folks on here talk about the PCE, is your only choice to hunt down an import?

One of my favorite things about retro gaming is reading and learning about how companies navigated the distribution and marketing waters when releasing consoles.

I assumed it was available everywhere, but call me uninformed

User avatar
oli_lar
Posts: 4148
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:26 pm

Re: another PC Engine topic

Post by oli_lar » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:37 pm

It kind of was available here - a version with grey shell, av port instead of RF, 50hz and played US TG16 cards was distributed to a handful of distributors (either through grey market or officially I'm not sure) but I assume it was cut as it being developed as there was no promotion or attempt at localisation. The few distributors still have some new old stock - Telegames for example sell new consoles for £40 (with an R-type huie and photocopied manual).

User avatar
Alarm
Posts: 562
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:02 am
Location: UK

Re: another PC Engine topic

Post by Alarm » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:49 pm

As oli says, it had a very limited release in the UK. I only ever saw it (and some games) for sale in specialist gaming shops in London.

User avatar
Liamh1982
Posts: 8297
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:11 am
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: another PC Engine topic

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:08 am

I can't see one for £40 on their website, or am I looking in the wrong place?

User avatar
AmidstStorm
Posts: 1694
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:35 pm
Location: UK

Re: another PC Engine topic

Post by AmidstStorm » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:58 am

I have a PAL Turbo Grafx console. Was new old stock as they call it. I've played it maybe 3 times before I picked up a PC Engine and Super CD, and now it resides on top of one of my bookcases.

Blazing Lazers/Gunhed had a big impact on me. Got me into Shoot em ups in a massive way. Probably would've been quite a few thousands pounds better off right now if I'd never played that game.

User avatar
Liamh1982
Posts: 8297
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:11 am
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: another PC Engine topic

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:57 am

Did I read somewhere that there was a PAL release in Australia? You know, to test the waters before a European launch?

Could be imagining it!

User avatar
Alarm
Posts: 562
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:02 am
Location: UK

Re: another PC Engine topic

Post by Alarm » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:15 am

Liamh1982 wrote:I can't see one for £40 on their website, or am I looking in the wrong place?
Nor me. I was excited at the prospect of an affordable PC Engine (I don't use ebay or PayPal). :(

User avatar
Liamh1982
Posts: 8297
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:11 am
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: another PC Engine topic

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:21 am

I do use eBay, but not PayPal. Makes my options severely limited, tend to stick with about a dozen trusted sellers who still take postal orders.

User avatar
oli_lar
Posts: 4148
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:26 pm

Re: another PC Engine topic

Post by oli_lar » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:27 pm

Telegames have one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TURBO-GRAFX-16-CO ... 45f8af8068

More expensive than what I paid for mine (£40 inc p&p) but has more games.

It is the PAL vesion btw (as includes av cable/external rf box), even though it doesn't say it.

User avatar
sscott
Posts: 13153
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: another PC Engine topic

Post by sscott » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:58 pm

oli_lar wrote:It kind of was available here - a version with grey shell, av port instead of RF, 50hz and played US TG16 cards was distributed to a handful of distributors (either through grey market or officially I'm not sure) but I assume it was cut as it being developed as there was no promotion or attempt at localisation. The few distributors still have some new old stock - Telegames for example sell new consoles for £40 (with an R-type huie and photocopied manual).
I gave away my Turbografx from Oli_Lar at my Retro Rewind raffle event last year as I had a PC Engine (er, also bought from Oli_Lar). PAL Turbografx in the UK are uncommon... but not that uncommon, certainly a lot uglier than the PC Engine though. They are greyish in colour, don't know who distributed them though...
Image

User avatar
Liamh1982
Posts: 8297
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:11 am
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: another PC Engine topic

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:17 pm

oli_lar wrote:Telegames have one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TURBO-GRAFX-16-CO ... 45f8af8068

More expensive than what I paid for mine (£40 inc p&p) but has more games.

It is the PAL vesion btw (as includes av cable/external rf box), even though it doesn't say it.
I did see that one actually.

User avatar
crusto
Posts: 5586
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: another PC Engine topic

Post by crusto » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:43 pm

NEC really effed up by not releasing the pce over here. A truly great console. I probably had more enjoyment out of that overall than either the snes or the md. Im gutted I got rid. I now have a tg, but no crt telly to play it on. And I cant bring myself to hook it up to a lcd.

Lord bless the VC is all I can say.

So If anyone has a pce plus a nice crt etc etc that they want to give me for next to nothing or nothing then im all eyes..
Image

Eat your nans pants

llj
Posts: 542
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: another PC Engine topic

Post by llj » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:51 pm

PC-E was heavy on shooters and RPGs. In the west at the time, those weren't the most popular genres, platformers and beat em ups were. Even with the Super-CD, the list of solid platformers on the PC-E probably numbers about 20, whereas the Genesis and SNES each had three times that amount of solid ones.

There were so many RPG series on the PC-E that I really wish they translated and they probably could have become minor institutions like Lunar, Breath of Fire and the like if they had caught on at the right time.

User avatar
Liamh1982
Posts: 8297
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:11 am
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: another PC Engine topic

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:16 pm

crusto wrote:NEC really effed up by not releasing the pce over here. A truly great console. I probably had more enjoyment out of that overall than either the snes or the md. Im gutted I got rid. I now have a tg, but no crt telly to play it on. And I cant bring myself to hook it up to a lcd.

Lord bless the VC is all I can say.

So If anyone has a pce plus a nice crt etc etc that they want to give me for next to nothing or nothing then im all eyes..
The problem with PCE/TG16 games on VC is that they don't run at native resolution and therefore pixels aren't uniform sizes. I'd have put up with borders if they could have fixed that.

User avatar
mrchuck999
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:04 am
Contact:

Re: another PC Engine topic

Post by mrchuck999 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:43 am

I run my PC engine through an up-scan converter with selectable resolutions. The up scan device supports both 50hz and 60hz selectable, it supports both 4:3 16:9 and has selectable resolution-outputs upscaled from standard 640x480, outputting to resolutions up to 1280x1024. Using a device like this allows my PC-Engine, Neo Geo, Genesis mega drive to look very good. The device I use has Sub-D (VGA style) output which can connect to computer monitors or most HD-TV's. If you are handy with electronics, you can search eBay for an RGB to VGA scaler.
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests