Do you remember any game giveaways exclusive to magazines?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:19 am

Randall Flagg wrote:a censored poor one but Amiga Power went through a phase of giving away early Amiga 500 games and one of the first was Kid Gloves. Can remember several others including "Archipelagos". Not exactly great givaways!!
But they rounded it off with the superb "No second prize"
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

AmazingJas

Re:

Post by AmazingJas » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:51 pm

Sparrowhawk wrote:"Your Computer" gave away some kind of floppy plastic record (you were supposed to place it on top of a real record to make it more rigid). It had C64 and Speccy software on it I think. However, mine was scratched and never worked.
This was what I was thinking of, but IIRC, it wasn't software, but a couple of songs by a band called Heaven17, plus some background info on how they created some 'parts' of the songs with a C64!

First time I'd ever seen a 'floppy' LP record..I think it was transparent yellow as well. Still might have it somewhere I think.

hanging

Re:

Post by hanging » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:49 pm

Randall Flagg wrote:
there was also an xmas freebie from sensible software on Amiga Format - Cannon Soccer which is available for Amiga Emus' at http://www.whdload.de/games/CannonSoccer.html
there was also an ST one - Un-sensible soccer - where the ball had been replaced by a walnut - random - but good for a laugh.
Abandonrom Paradise - Back one day.....
DaFastLane - news, views and random babble

eggman1973

Re:

Post by eggman1973 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:56 pm

SirClive wrote:C&VG gave the best ever covermounted tape...

:D The Outrun arcade tunes :D , all three on one tape.
I remember that! By far the best ever covermounted-anything! Played mine to death. I remember it had the 720 tunes too, but Magical Sound Shower topped everything.

If you ever get an authentic copy, let me know where to get one for myself, I've looked around but found nothing quite the same. Why weren't CDs commonplace (or even around) then??!!

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:57 am

Commodore Format once had a cover tape with a bunch of public domain games on it. I remember two particularly good ones.

The first was Mad Bomber, where you controlled a metal bucket and had to move left and right to catch bombs being dropped from the top of the screen. It got harder and faster as the game went on the later levels were insane.

Second was a great little puzzle game called Sensitive, where you had to destroy all the tiles on screen by moving your little blob over them.

Tiles would explode shortly after you moved over them. You pretty much had only one route through each level that would let you destroy all the tiles and get to the safe 'finish' area.

Once you started the blob would carry on until it reached an obstacle or you fell off the 'path' of tiles and died. This meant that you usually had to go from start to finish in one go without pausing.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:10 am

Best tape from a magazine I remember was International Cricket from Your Sinclair. I played that thing to death. It was much better than Graham Gooch's Cricket which cost nearly a tenner I recall.

will2097

Re:

Post by will2097 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:37 am

SirClive wrote:C&VG gave the best ever covermounted tape...

:D The Outrun arcade tunes :D , all three on one tape.

I was about 15 and vowed to keep the tape until I learned to drive and would play it full blast on my first trip out.

Didn't learn to drive until I was 25 though and had long since lost the tape. Did see one for sale on ebay a while back though!

Job for tonight is to download those songs and get em on a CD!!!
...I thought I was the only one. Don't, whatever you, buy a cabrio and then listen to this...

That would be sad.

...and precisely what I did.

Will

P-Head

Post by P-Head » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:03 am

Cannon Soccer was great.

muse hunter

Re:

Post by muse hunter » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:27 am

Ben wrote:Official Sega Saturn magazine gave away Christmas NiGHTS as a christmas bonus one year. It was only 2 levels (1 for each character) but those levels were the most superbly chrafted i think ive ever played. Huge link oportunities :D
Throw in all the extras like the date affects, and being able to play as Sonic and Reala (i think :? ) and there was the arguement that the freebie was more fun than the original game
yep, that was officially the best magazine giveaway ever!

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:51 am

muse hunter wrote:
Ben wrote:Official Sega Saturn magazine gave away Christmas NiGHTS as a christmas bonus one year. It was only 2 levels (1 for each character) but those levels were the most superbly chrafted i think ive ever played. Huge link oportunities :D
Throw in all the extras like the date affects, and being able to play as Sonic and Reala (i think :? ) and there was the arguement that the freebie was more fun than the original game
Putting tinsel on a stupid game doesn't change the fact that its a stupid game.

muse hunter

Re:

Post by muse hunter » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:54 am

SirClive wrote:
muse hunter wrote:
Putting tinsel on a stupid game doesn't change the fact that its a stupid game.
Nights is one of the greatest games ever made, christmas nights is one of the most charming games around, pure magic. Being given away for free made it the best thing ever!

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:21 am

Man, I've just been through my tatty old spectrum tape collection and here's what I've found.

Sinclair User Mega Tapes
Beach Head 1
Beach Head 2
Finders Keepers
Spellbound
Knightime

Your Sinclair
Rampage
Army Moves
Dream Warrior
The Classic Advanced Lawnmower Simulator
Survivor
Thing
Riding The Rapids
Wonderboy

Sinclair User
Survivor
Gunsmoke
Dan Dare 2

Advanced Computer Entertainment (ACE)
Spindizzy for the Spectrum, C64 and Amstrad.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:14 am

Deflektor was a great freebie (with The One I think)

Twintris was given away with AP-the best Tetris clone I've played

Sid Tunes CD and Oli calendar were great RG giveaways

Anyone remember a metal space-invader pin badge given away with a mag?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

monkey puzzle

Re:

Post by monkey puzzle » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:54 pm

RetroBob wrote:Mean Machines Sega had some awesome freebies.

Issue 1 - Sonic 2 preview tape, with loads of other games.
Issue 2 - Sonic 2 T Shirt transfer
Issue 3 - Mega CD preview tape
Issue 4 - Mean Machines Review Guide A-M
Issue 5 - Mean Machines Review Guide N-Z

Review guides were all Sega reviews from Mean Machines before the split.
I've still got my Sonic 2 preview video tape and I found my T shirt transfer about a year ago and finnaly ironed it onto a T-shirt!

P-Head

Post by P-Head » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:01 pm

Ork Attack came on the cover of an issue of Amiga Format, I think. It was great.