Do you remember any game giveaways exclusive to magazines?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

samuelpepys

Do you remember any game giveaways exclusive to magazines?

Post by samuelpepys » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:59 pm

In another post I mentioned 'Merry Christmas from Melbourne House' - a free giveaway with C&VG one Christmas past. I also remember getting some Thompson Twins game on vinyl but it didn't work because it was scratched to death.

I think the Melbourne House game was pretty good. Anyone remember any others - don't know if there were many more?

Mort

Post by Mort » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:15 pm

My two Faves were Moley Christmas and Road Race on Your Sinclair before the covertape wars and also Merv the Merciless on issue one of the ONE! :wink:
Blast another coupon missing, what`s on ebay!

TMR

Re:

Post by TMR » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:54 pm

Mort wrote:My two Faves were Moley Christmas and Road Race on Your Sinclair before the covertape wars and also Merv the Merciless on issue one of the ONE! :wink:
Oh yeah, i remember Merv... was a Splat! clone, lots of pretty scrolling and silly samples and a good laugh to play too if memory serves...

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:07 pm

no, but C&VG gave away a cool mario hologram once

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:37 am

Does the type-in JSW (or was it Manic Miner) single level that was part of the regular C&VG count? No? Hm...

I remember the first Zzap64 with a tape on. That was amazing I though. Last Ninja demo. Sensible 3D demo.
I might have a Heaven 17 record from CU somewhere. Not a game though.

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:32 am

Amstrad Action got some Codemasters exclusives. There was the AA version of Dizzy & Seymour Take 1, the special AA version of Seymour At the Movies

punkpie

Post by punkpie » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:27 am

I seem to remember Crash having a special edition of Dizzy in the later years. There was also Holiday Lemmings given away with Amiga Action (I think) and an Easter version of one of the Dizzy action games.

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:59 am

Commodore Format gave away the Graphic Adventure Creator (GAC) on a covertape (and I'm pretty sure its counterparts, Amstrad Action and YS also gave away the other versions).

Pity I had already spent twnety quid on it a couple of years previously! :wink:

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:50 pm

Your Sinclair gave away a rather excellent little game called Dustin.

I still have that Mario hologram, by the way :)

scunny

Post by scunny » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:18 am

your sinclair gave away "Batty" which was one of the best Arkanoid clones ever

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:12 am

punkpie wrote: There was also Holiday Lemmings given away with Amiga Action (I think)
Yeah, remember that. In fact there was two "Holiday lemmings" freebie giveaways containing 4 levels each. One at Xmas1991 and one at Xmas 1992. there was also an xmas freebie from sensible software on Amiga Format - Cannon Soccer which is available for Amiga Emus' at http://www.whdload.de/games/CannonSoccer.html
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Sparrowhawk

Post by Sparrowhawk » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:34 am

"Your Computer" gave away some kind of floppy plastic record (you were supposed to place it on top of a real record to make it more rigid). It had C64 and Speccy software on it I think. However, mine was scratched and never worked.

I think that it may have come on the issue that had a picture of a pilot in a combat helmet with HUD on the cover. Now, how the hell did I remember that!!!

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:37 am

I think that I got 'Beyond the Forbidden Forest' on a Zzap! magazine once. The tape also had a demo of the Robocop 2 game that came out on cartridge. I'm quite sure that 'Bounder' also appeared on a C64 cover tape. I remember I had the original, but I used to play the cover tape version because it gave you more lives!

Amiga Power gave away Gravity Force II - as Gravity Power. OK, it was PD rather than commercial but my friend and I spent hours playing it.

There was also a controversy over an Amiga magazine giving away "Quik the Thunder Rabbit" - an average Sonic clone. I think it was due to be released commercially, but wasn't, and then turned up on a cover disc. Other magazine publishers got irate about some rule being broken concering commercial content on cover discs and there was talk of law suits and all kind of things. Don't know how that ended. My memory is a little vague.

I think Amstrad Action went through a stage of releasing games on their tapes too. My friend had an Amstrad, and we got somewhat addicted to "How to be a complete B*stard" - which was given away free on a cover tape. Now that was the true fore-runner to the GTA games... :wink:

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:50 am

Amiga Format and CU Amiga gave away loads of commercial serious software on their front covers in the latter years, If fact they would usually have two cover discs, one with a full piece of commercial software and one with demos etc.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:21 am

revgiblet wrote:I think that I got 'Beyond the Forbidden Forest' on a Zzap! magazine once. The tape also had a demo of the Robocop 2 game that came out on cartridge. I'm quite sure that 'Bounder' also appeared on a C64 cover tape. I remember I had the original, but I used to play the cover tape version because it gave you more lives!

Amiga Power gave away Gravity Force II - as Gravity Power. OK, it was PD rather than commercial but my friend and I spent hours playing it.

There was also a controversy over an Amiga magazine giving away "Quik the Thunder Rabbit" - an average Sonic clone. I think it was due to be released commercially, but wasn't, and then turned up on a cover disc. Other magazine publishers got irate about some rule being broken concering commercial content on cover discs and there was talk of law suits and all kind of things. Don't know how that ended. My memory is a little vague.

I think Amstrad Action went through a stage of releasing games on their tapes too. My friend had an Amstrad, and we got somewhat addicted to "How to be a complete B*stard" - which was given away free on a cover tape. Now that was the true fore-runner to the GTA games... :wink:
Beyond the Forbidden Forest and the Robocop 2 demo were actually given away on a Commodore Format tape... Bounder was also on a CF tape.

The full game thing - ELSPA (European Leisure Software Producers' Association) decided that magazines were giving away too many full games, and so made a ruling that there had to be more demos and reader games....