The Most Boring Game You've Ever Played

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

davekam

Re: The Most Boring Game You've Ever Played

Post by davekam » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:40 pm

snowkatt wrote:any sports game in general foot bal in particualir
the endless grinding slog of gran turismo in gt mode
So true. Also, I found the sims to be incredibly dull.

Raziel

Post by Raziel » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:28 am

I quite enjoy a game of Hexic now and again as I'm still trying to crack the 2 million score mark.

Uncharted 2. For a game thats looks wonderful and offers so much scope I just found it to be so underwhelming.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:23 am

Black Belt (Master System) - come on, it had the best port of Double Dragon at the time, a half-decent Streets of Rage, but this? YAWN!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:28 am

SinclairStrange wrote:First couple of hours on Heavy Rain. Aye it does pick up in the end but seriously those first couple of hours...urgh. Glad I stuck through it though.
Ditto, glad it wasn't just me that found the intro a snoozefest.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:07 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:... and Warrior Blade: Rastan Saga III from the arcades, for going through the motions so much you may as well be playing blindfolded.
:lol:
Know exactly what you mean but - as much as I love a good arcade brawler - can unfortunately think of quite a few far more dull and boring yawnfests in the genre than that one. 'Knuckle Bash' and 'Double Dragon III' were pretty dire, but I reckon the award for the worst and most boring beat-em-up I ever played has to go to 'Riot City'. Absolutey godawful.

Agree on the 'Black Belt' front as well, remember liking the way the enemies exploded when you killed them but that was about it.
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

TheSpeedOfSex

Post by TheSpeedOfSex » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:21 pm

delbert_trout wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:... and Warrior Blade: Rastan Saga III from the arcades, for going through the motions so much you may as well be playing blindfolded.
:lol:
Know exactly what you mean but - as much as I love a good arcade brawler - can unfortunately think of quite a few far more dull and boring yawnfests in the genre than that one. 'Knuckle Bash' and 'Double Dragon III' were pretty dire, but I reckon the award for the worst and most boring beat-em-up I ever played has to go to 'Riot City'. Absolutey godawful.

Agree on the 'Black Belt' front as well, remember liking the way the enemies exploded when you killed them but that was about it.
If you like arcade brawlers... what do you think about Vendetta?

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:30 pm

It might not be the most boring game ever, but im going to say Mass Effect

*deploys shield*

I might have a different opinion of it now, but the second planet you go to with the big city bored me to tears. It just felt like endless, endless text and each species telling me their entire past and backstory. I didnt continue with it further than that. Though ill admit i was a little close minded at the time and wanted something more action orientated. I do plan on giving it another chance in the future.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:37 pm

TheSpeedOfSex wrote:If you like arcade brawlers... what do you think about Vendetta?
Vendetta's excellent. They (Konami) also did a very similar game called Violent Storm a couple of years later which I really like as well.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:38 pm

ShadowNeku wrote:It might not be the most boring game ever, but im going to say Mass Effect

*deploys shield*

I might have a different opinion of it now, but the second planet you go to with the big city bored me to tears. It just felt like endless, endless text and each species telling me their entire past and backstory. I didnt continue with it further than that. Though ill admit i was a little close minded at the time and wanted something more action orientated. I do plan on giving it another chance in the future.
alway saw mass effect as a kotor with out the star wars license
and i found it a rather dull game as well anyway
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:46 pm

Games with too much overlaying intro you can't skip pass it or super paper mario! (yawn)

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:34 pm

fallout 3, just didnt grab me, spent far too many hours walking around talking to weirdos (much like a normal day to be honest)

Cafeman

Post by Cafeman » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:14 am

Probably Atari 2600 Chess. After every move, the chessboard goes away while the screen flashes colors until poor Stella tries to calc its next move using 128 bytes of RAM. The higher the level, the longer it lasts .. minutes and even HOURS! After that, any sport or racing game with a ridiculous amount of stats and simulation, or any Nascar game doing endless curves. Or any game that had more loading than gameplay like early CD titles.

"Boring" is a problem - games (or any entertainment) should not be boring. Back when 3D was newer and all the platformers turned into 3D collect-a-thons and adventure games turned into 'explore the cool 3D graphics', I found myself getting more and more bored with video games. But thankfully things improved.

TheSpeedOfSex

Post by TheSpeedOfSex » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:30 am

delbert_trout wrote:
TheSpeedOfSex wrote:If you like arcade brawlers... what do you think about Vendetta?
Vendetta's excellent. They (Konami) also did a very similar game called Violent Storm a couple of years later which I really like as well.
Good answer. *high five*
Cafeman wrote:Probably Atari 2600 Chess. After every move, the chessboard goes away while the screen flashes colors until poor Stella tries to calc its next move using 128 bytes of RAM. The higher the level, the longer it lasts .. minutes and even HOURS! After that, any sport or racing game with a ridiculous amount of stats and simulation, or any Nascar game doing endless curves. Or any game that had more loading than gameplay like early CD titles.

"Boring" is a problem - games (or any entertainment) should not be boring. Back when 3D was newer and all the platformers turned into 3D collect-a-thons and adventure games turned into 'explore the cool 3D graphics', I found myself getting more and more bored with video games. But thankfully things improved.
Yes! That and 3D Tic Tac Toe.

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:39 am

Cafeman wrote:Probably Atari 2600 Chess. After every move, the chessboard goes away while the screen flashes colors until poor Stella tries to calc its next move using 128 bytes of RAM. The higher the level, the longer it lasts .. minutes and even HOURS!
Funny you should say that, I was in the charity shop on Saturday and got Checkmate II for the PS1...three or four moves into a game it then begins 'thinking' after every move. I left it a good few minutes on several occasions, but still haven't seen it make a proper move after all the 'thinking' (you can press a button to force what I presume is a random silly move). I guess that sort of thing's understandable on the 2600, but the Playstation...not really. :lol:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:39 am

Space Invaders Invasion day
Half the time I just stood there and held down shoot while wanting it to end