The Most Boring Game You've Ever Played

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TwoHeadedBoy

The Most Boring Game You've Ever Played

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:24 pm

So, yeah - what's the most boring game you've ever played? Not as in "This is rubbish" but as in so boring that you've nodded off, or not noticed that you're playing a game?

The one that stands out most in my head would be Hexic HD on that Xbox 360 thing. A game with no pressure, no incentive, minimal music, barely noticeable consequences to your actions, pretty much no point at all - playing it the other night, I fell asleep for half an hour with no repercussions other than a sore neck.

See also: Every Extend Extra on the PSP, for similar reasons (minus the sleeping) and Warrior Blade: Rastan Saga III from the arcades, for going through the motions so much you may as well be playing blindfolded.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Rayne

Re: The Most Boring Game You've Ever Played

Post by Rayne » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:41 pm

There's so many that I can't think of one...

Eragon on the Xbox 360 was the very definition of Tedious...
Dynasty Warriors Gundam was boring as hell by the time you get to doing the 20th character...

Riddler

Post by Riddler » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:42 pm

The one that stands out most in my head would be Hexic HD on that Xbox 360 thing. A game with no pressure, no incentive, minimal music, barely noticeable consequences to your actions, pretty much no point at all - playing it the other night, I fell asleep for half an hour with no repercussions other than a sore neck.
Ha ha ha ha, i fell asleep playing this one too. Damn it was boring, i was just playing it on auto pilot an the next thing i know, i woke up at 3am. :lol:
Last edited by Riddler on Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:43 pm

Rayne wrote:There's so many that I can't think of one...

Eragon on the Xbox 360 was the very definition of Tedious...
Dynasty Warriors Gundam was boring as hell by the time you get to doing the 20th character...
Every Dynasty Warriors here..
Logged out 15/07/2014.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:45 pm

Right, just my opinion, based on real world experience, and having invested time and money into them but:

Zelda games in general. Just heart achingly boring. I think the Zelda characters, world and game mechanics just aren't for me, it's all just a bit too hippy-activist for me, and it's all so slow, they just totally fail to motivate me.

All MMORPGS for exactly the same reasons, and throw in intense complexity to arouse my apathy towards them.

And Cricket games. Which seem obvious really.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:47 pm

Gran Turismo, any of them.

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:52 pm

Transylvanian Tower on the Zx spectrum , talk about boring , nothing of any note really happens , the screen takes ages to change/update - and when it does , its almost identical or identical , then you press the key to move on again , and again .

Even worse was watching my mate play it for a few hours , when we should have been on something far better .
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:52 pm

any sports game in general foot bal in particualir
the endless grinding slog of gran turismo in gt mode
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:18 pm

Silent Hill: The Arcade - One of the slowest light-gun games ever made, seriously who at Konami thought this could possibly be a good idea?! Playing this led to the first time I've ever just left an arcade game still running for reasons other than the controls being knackered. I even tried to pass the gun to other people milling about but they were having none of it.
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

SinclairStrange

Post by SinclairStrange » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:39 pm

First couple of hours on Heavy Rain. Aye it does pick up in the end but seriously those first couple of hours...urgh. Glad I stuck through it though.

thl

Post by thl » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:59 pm

Transbot for the Master System. It feels like I'm playing the same stage over and over again.

DanWelsh86

Post by DanWelsh86 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:10 pm

thl wrote:Transbot for the Master System. It feels like I'm playing the same stage over and over again.
Don't you be mocking Transbot, it's a classic. But while we're on topic I would have to say that Simpsons game for PSP etc. What a yawn fest.

moshboy

Post by moshboy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:15 pm

Capcom's original arcade beat 'em up, Dynasty Wars was pretty dull - just lots and lots of tedious, repetitive levels with lots of repetitive enemies to mow down with very few moves.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:13 pm

I have some terrible memories of boredom whilst playing Xenosaga Ep 1 on PS2, quite possibly the most boring RPG ever, though they are all a little boring anyway. I struggled with it for around 5 hours and had to give up because it was just sooo bad. Vagrant Story also rates high. Heavy Rain was pretty bad but nothing on some of these RPG's lol.