the long and short of it

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

snowkatt

the long and short of it

Post by snowkatt » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:51 pm

what are some of the shortest games you played ? ( beat em ups and the likes of tetris and crazy taxi dont count )

and what are some games that either take long to play
or you have spend a lot of time in

shortest game i ever played was lylat wars 90 minutes first play and 30 minutes every other time
wet was rather short as well ( 4 5 hours )

spend quite a lot of time in oblivion and final fantasy 7
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

JazzFunk

Re: the long and short of it

Post by JazzFunk » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:54 pm

Soldier Of Fortune: Payback. Didn't realise the segmented parts of each stage were actually classified as 'levels' in their own right. Shockingly short, though I was kind of happy when it ended prematurely, it was hardly gaming nirvana.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:57 pm

JazzFunk wrote:Soldier Of Fortune: Payback. Didn't realise the segmented parts of each stage were actually classified as 'levels' in their own right. Shockingly short, though I was kind of happy when it ended prematurely, it was hardly gaming nirvana.

how short is shockingly short ?
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:04 pm

Longest:Xcom, easily.Espically when i wanted all my troops to have PSi powers, very best alien tech.weaponary, loads of bases etc etc.

Shortest, lot of MD platformers etc i seemed to sail through.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:45 pm

snowkatt wrote:
JazzFunk wrote:Soldier Of Fortune: Payback. Didn't realise the segmented parts of each stage were actually classified as 'levels' in their own right. Shockingly short, though I was kind of happy when it ended prematurely, it was hardly gaming nirvana.

how short is shockingly short ?
Probably around 1.7 inches, when holding one's thumb and index finger apart in mid air as a gauge.

Short enough to complete what feels like Stage 4 and feel a bit concerned when the end credits roll.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:10 pm

Shortest game ever has to be Dragster on the 2600 ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:51 pm

One of the shortest games I ever played was Spyro: A New Beginning on the Xbox....put it on, 3 and a half hours later the end credits were rolling. Krome had somehow taken what was an entertaining 3D platformer chock full of secrets before and turned it into a kind of sh!te extremely linear beat 'em up with the gems only acting as powerups. Good old Krome, eh? :wink: It put me off any of the subsequent Spyro games where Elijah Wood voices the character.

Then there's also Luigi's Mansion on the Gamecube....fun game to play but was all over in about 4 hours I think it was?

Ico (PS2) I think is only about 6 hours long on your first playthrough too, though it's a great game nonetheless.

Longest games I've played through would probably be Skies Of Arcadia or Grandia (I spent about 75 hours each on them) and Final Fantasy 7 (took me around 60 hours when I played through it all when it first came out, though I've never really been back to it afterwards). My stats for Just Cause 2 on the Xbox 360 tell me I've spent about 45 hours on that so far, and I've still got a fair amount to do on it.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

TheSpeedOfSex

Post by TheSpeedOfSex » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:05 am

Kevin Costner's' Water World is an arcade game based on the infamously overbudget film "Waterworld".
The game costs 40 quarters to play, and once you have deposited 40 quarters, you can take one step and then must deposit forty more quarters.

There you go. Shortest game ever.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:47 am

The games I've sunk the most hours into are probably the Gran Turismo games, probably GT2.....although funnily enough I racked up over 80 hours on The Saboteur (the recent PS3/360 game). Not massively successful but I liked it.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:09 am

MW2 on the xbox - left thinking "is that really it?"

BCs quest for tires on C64 - played it through start to finish in next to no time

Most time on games? BC2 online (much like Angry Jock I suspect!), Football Manager/Championship Manager, International Football on the C64 . .
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:15 am

Some of the shorter games I've finished are:
Jet Set Radio - Only takes me a couple of hours to go through it if I'm not trying to get all the top ranks etc.
Spiderman 2 (Xbox) - Sticking to just the story missions this game only lasts 3-4 hours max and thats being generous (however it takes forever to do all the side stuff)

As for the longest games that I've spent the most time playing:

Oblivion - Its been several years and 221 hours of gameplay so far but I'm still not done with it!
Marvel Vs Capcom 2 (Dreamcast)- I managed to max out the in game clock at 99:59:59 in about a week or so of gametime and I'm still playing it now. I'd hate to think how much time I've sunk into that game!
Super Street Fighter 4 - Over 100 hours and still going strong. All of thats been online mind, I'd probably only reached a fraction of that sticking to the 1 player modes.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

James A

Post by James A » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:39 am

Longest probably 100+ hours on Final Fantasy 10 trying to beat all the Dark Aeons. Saying that Final Fantasy 7,8 + 10 ive sunk a hell of alot of hours into each one.

Shortest Erhgitz finished that on my first go also Fight Night 3 pretty much finished in an evening

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:49 am

Chaos Control on the Saturn - fired it up for the first time and saw the end credits within 35 MINUTES!

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:56 am

slacey1070 wrote:Most time on games? BC2 online (much like Angry Jock I suspect!)
575+ hours and counting...
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:04 am

As Mayhem said Dragster on the Atari 2600 as the shortest (though I suggest that my games are longer than most! :( )

Championship Manager (PC) as the longest, literally hundreds of hours poured into that timesink.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue