Killer Apps - Dead?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Shin_Gouki

Killer Apps - Dead?

Post by Shin_Gouki » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:34 pm

Do you guys and gals think that the "Killer app" of old is dead?

Probably the last real killer app I can remember would have to be Super Mario 64. From that point on, it seems as though manufacturers and developers alike in a blatant "quantity over quality" campaign have flooded the video game world with dire releases and half-arsed gameplay. Case in point: The PS1. some really great games but there always seemed to be more tripe than anything, and even with the popularity of Tomb Raider or Crash Bandicoot, there was no killer app.

We can only hope that Super Mario Galaxy is as good as it's being touted, or I will have lost all faith in ever seeing a killer app again...
真・豪鬼

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:35 am

Wipeout was the PS1s killer app. There was nothing like it and it was 'cool'.

Destruction Derby was attractive in the shoirt term too.

And of course Ridge Racer was right up there with an arcade perfect port of the new gen of fully textured racers.

Throw in the Virtua Fighters and Tekkens for the fight fans and there was no shortage of killer apps that gen.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Shin_Gouki

Re:

Post by Shin_Gouki » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:37 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Wipeout was the PS1s killer app. There was nothing like it and it was 'cool'.

And of course Ridge Racer was right up there with an arcade perfect port of the new gen of fully textured racers.

Throw in the Virtua Fighters and Tekkens for the fight fans and there was no shortage of killer apps that gen.
Granted, all good games, but not on a scale like we'd seen in the past.

The NES had Super Mario Bros 3, the Mega Drive had Sonic, and the SNES had SFII (at least before the MD had it!). Compared to what came about during the PS1's reign, these were video gaming's golden children.
真・豪鬼

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:41 am

Final Fantasy, Pro Evolution Soccer, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, Halo, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Splinter Cell, Zelda, Resident Evil 4, God of War etc.

These are all killer apps.

And how can you forget Final Fantasy VII, Gran Turismo and Metal Gear Solid on the PS1? They're the perfect examples of killer apps, and they're certainly not less killer apps than Super Mario 64.

PS1 had Final Fantasy VII, Gran Turismo and Metal Gear Solid
PS2 had Grand Theft Auto 3 and SSX, among others
Dreamcast had Shenmue
Xbox had Halo and KOTOR
Xbox360 had a bried "killer app" moment with Oblivion (but not anymore, didn't go well with the fans of the series)
Saturn had Nights Into Dreams
Gamecube had Zelda and Resident Evil 4

These are all just examples of typical killer apps. It's just your rose tinted specs talking.

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:07 am

How many people really bought a Dreamcast because of Shenmue? Sega completely dropped the ball on that machine when they failed to see the potential for Soul Calibur in marketing terms. That game was absolutely phenomenal, and at the time marked out more clearly than anything else the capabilities of their machine.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:11 am

As far as I am concerned,the Dreamcast failed because of a lack killer-app company,not game - namely EA
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:12 am

Yeah, Soul Calibur is another one. I for one bought the DC for Shenmue, and it's the only game I miss having in my collection after selling it. Besides, it wasn't a very successfull console either way.

But I think Soul Calibur were put a bit in the shade because gamers had already played a decent version for a while on the PS1 when it came out (known as Soul Edge/Blade). Personally, I preferred the PS1 version, but that's just nostalgia talking. I liked the story mode more.

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:15 am

Shin_Gouki wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Wipeout was the PS1s killer app. There was nothing like it and it was 'cool'.

Granted, all good games, but not on a scale like we'd seen in the past.

The NES had Super Mario Bros 3, the Mega Drive had Sonic, and the SNES had SFII (at least before the MD had it!). Compared to what came about during the PS1's reign, these were video gaming's golden children.
Are you kidding me on? For those of us who like driving/fighting games, we were totally stoked by PS1. I was totally in awe of the system. Usually I'm a late adopter (I'm only now contemplating an X-Box and PS2) but with PS1 I was hungry for it.

DC failed because of MCD and 32X. Up til then I was a huge Sega fan, but I'd lost faith in their hardware and their ability to support it by the time we got to DC.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Smurph

Re:

Post by Smurph » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:32 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Shin_Gouki wrote:Granted, all good games, but not on a scale like we'd seen in the past.

Are you kidding me on? For those of us who like driving/fighting games, we were totally stoked by PS1. I was totally in awe of the system. Usually I'm a late adopter (I'm only now contemplating an X-Box and PS2) but with PS1 I was hungry for it.
Yeah, total agreement with Ant on this (apart from the late adoption, I'm a sucker for new hardware :oops: ). Wipeout especially heralded a new era of gaming, in my mind. I'd never seen such a cool, impressive game (graphically), and I had to get one there and then. If that's not a killer app, I don't know what is.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:42 am

A killer app to me is that one or two titles that sell machines, on the PS1 it was Tekken and Ridge Racer. I bought my machine, as did many of my friends because we wanted arcade perfect versions of those games and the Playstation had them, we were not interested in the machine or future releases, just those two "killer app's"....

Kai

Re:

Post by Kai » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:13 am

StarEye wrote: PS1 had Final Fantasy VII, Gran Turismo and Metal Gear Solid
And Resident Evil, Fear Effect, Final Fantasy VIII, Tekken 3 and the killer app: Ridge Racer
StarEye wrote: Dreamcast had Shenmue
And Virtua Tennis and Resident Evil Code Veronica. Those two were the reason why I bought a DC 8)
StarEye wrote: Xbox had Halo and KOTOR
Xbox360 had a bried "killer app" moment with Oblivion
For me those are not killer apps, 'cause they're all PC games/ports which looked better on the PC. (Yeah I know what you think: Halo was Xbox-exclusive - but before that it was developed to be a PC killer app :wink: )

Kai

Re:

Post by Kai » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:14 am

Opa-Opa wrote:A killer app to me is that one or two titles that sell machines, on the PS1 it was Tekken and Ridge Racer. I bought my machine, as did many of my friends because we wanted arcade perfect versions of those games and the Playstation had them, we were not interested in the machine or future releases, just those two "killer app's"....
Good point. My point, too :wink:

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:57 am

The selection of platformers on hand pretty much dictates what console I get.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:29 am

Halo undoubtedly counts for XBox.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Shin_Gouki

Re:

Post by Shin_Gouki » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:12 am

StarEye wrote:It's just your rose tinted specs talking.
Probably. Might be the main reason I'm posting on a Retro gaming forum. :wink:

These games definitely shifted consoles, but (for me at least) the hype wasn't the same - none of themever felt like the "game I had to have."
真・豪鬼