I Hate Button Mashers

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Liamh1982

Re: I Hate Button Mashers

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:44 am

Best rapid fire technique - the old 'wrap your fingers in a cloth and RUB', just reconfigure the controls to take full advantage. Particularly beneficial for Athlete Kings, if you have a NiGHTS pad use that as it's easier on your fingertips.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:33 am

TheSpeedOfSex wrote:What a disaster. I'm reading through this entire post and you're all describing rapid fire.

A button masher is a person who isn't necessarily good at games, so they randomly mash buttons on a controller and hope they would pull out something right.
ie. Eddy Gordo in Tekken

Couldn't think of the right phrase when I started the topic. I think of rapid fire as the setting on 3rd party pads which would do it automatically, except you can't get that on current generation consoles (presumably to remove online cheating)

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:59 am

Actually Rapid Fire is just the term for a button doing it for you.

Button Mashing is the correct term for both someone who rapidly mashes a button and for those that can't play game and randomly mash buttons.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:28 pm

Yep, I played against quite a few of that sort of Street Fighter II player on the cab they had in the local newsagent before school in the mornings (yes, we were ALWAYS late in!)....and frustratingly the b*stards normally used to beat me by doing so as well! Grrr
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

TheSpeedOfSex

Post by TheSpeedOfSex » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:48 pm

Negative Creep wrote: Couldn't think of the right phrase when I started the topic. I think of rapid fire as the setting on 3rd party pads which would do it automatically, except you can't get that on current generation consoles (presumably to remove online cheating)
RetroMartin wrote:Actually Rapid Fire is just the term for a button doing it for you.

Button Mashing is the correct term for both someone who rapidly mashes a button and for those that can't play game and randomly mash buttons.
You're both definitely describing auto fire. Rapid/Turbo fire used for auto fire are just proprietary terms.
But in the end, it's still called rapid fire because you're rapidly pressing the fire button.
Liamh1982 wrote:Best rapid fire technique - the old 'wrap your fingers in a cloth and RUB', just reconfigure the controls to take full advantage. Particularly beneficial for Athlete Kings, if you have a NiGHTS pad use that as it's easier on your fingertips.
YES! I used to do that for International Track and Field (PSX). Good ol t-shirt technique. Pressing X and O back and forth.
But then our neighbour used to kick our ass because he had a weird configuration. He used the Square and R buttons and hold the controller at a certain angle. Then he'd shake or something. He'd max out on power every time.

NintendoLegend

Post by NintendoLegend » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:19 pm

TheSpeedOfSex wrote:... hold the controller at a certain angle. Then he'd shake...
You can definitely get a more rapid pace if you can get into a consistent vibratory rhythm rather than rely on your actual finger speed.

... just sayin'.
Nintendo Legend -- one retro gamer's quest to play and review every NTSC-region NES game!

My favorite retro-gaming shirt -- "Pipe Dreams"

Pssst: Use promo code “NLegend” at J2Games.com for 20% off! New titles, classic carts, whatever!

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:21 pm

I dont mind button mashing so much, provided its not too often.

QTE's censored me off more. They always catch you completely off guard. You beat a boss and sit back to watch the cut-scene unfold, then suddenly its PRESS A BASH BOTH TRIGGER BUTTONS ROTATE RIGHT ANALOGUE STICK!

Its completely unfair. And whats worse is that after you've failed it a few times and think you have the sequence memorized, they change it.

It was okay in Shenmue and a few others, but most of the time i just see it as a cheap tool to extend gameplay into every part of the game.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:23 am

Don't mind them in Shenmue either (maybe cos the arcade lets you practise on one of the cabs) but in God of War? AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!! Nigh on ruined Chains of Olympus for me.