I Hate Button Mashers

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Negative Creep

I Hate Button Mashers

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:28 pm

I really need to get this off my chest. Why do game makers insist on including it in their games? I've been playing Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks on Xbox this evening. It's an ok game, but for some reason they included "test your might" sections where you have to hit A as rapidly as possible before pressing L trigger. I could manage this when it was to move a lever, as I found rotating the pad 90 degrees the sliding my left middle fingers across the button rapidly got me through most of the time. Hit the right stick or any other button and it automatically cancels though, so it didn't always work. Anyway, a few levels in and you have to do it on a boss fight. So no time to prepare and if you fail you take a load of damage. Oh and it needs to be done twice and if you fail it's back to the beginning. Failing repeatedly as I accidentally brushed the wrong button whilst trying to frantically manoeuvre the pad into position has caused said game to be thrown to the bottom of the pile.

Another really bad offender for this is Resident Evil 4. On easy and normal it wasn't that much of a problem, but then I tried professional level and bam! Unless you have the speed of the Flash you simply can't hit the buttons fast enough to avoid death. There's no skill, no stratergy and it spoils what is otherwise a brilliant game. This was on the first part where you are fleeing the boulder, at least you try again right before. However later in the game you get these after a boss fight or long section, so potentially ruin all your hard work.In the end I got so annoyed by RE4 I went out and bought a pad that had autofire on it just to pass that damn section. Except sometimes there's a quicktime event right after so having autofire on can cause you to fail. Arghh!

At least on games such as Track & Field all the events were button mashers, so you knew what you were buying and could avoid the game if you didn't like it. But why do developers insist on putting them in? :evil:

Sel Feena

Re: I Hate Button Mashers

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:44 pm

I remember this was in a sequence in MGS: Twin Snakes on the 'Cube; you had to mash a button to withstand torture. I ended up having to get a mate to do it for me! On the plus side, being warned not to use any sort of autofire was kinda cool. :lol:

A related pet peeve for me is Quick Time Events, otherwise known as 'Press these buttons to not die'. They can just seriously naff off.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:52 pm

Sel Feena wrote:I remember this was in a sequence in MGS: Twin Snakes on the 'Cube; you had to mash a button to withstand torture. I ended up having to get a mate to do it for me! On the plus side, being warned not to use any sort of autofire was kinda cool. :lol:
I had no end of problems on that bit on the Playstation original. I had to use a autofire pad in the end to pass it. Weirdly enough I had no problems on that section on the Gamecube remake.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:59 am

Try 'Test Your Might' on Deadly Alliance on the Cube - agony!

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:02 am

i dislike QTE's more then button mashers
because developers tend to over use them and seem to think they subsitute for gameplay
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:46 am

Another button mashing bit that did my head in was the last Canary Mary race on Banjo Tooie in the Cloud World. To this day I still haven't managed to complete it which is rather annoying since I am just 1 jiggy short of having them all :evil:
snowkatt wrote:i dislike QTE's more then button mashers
because developers tend to over use them and seem to think they subsitute for gameplay
Spiderman 3 is still the low point for QTE's for me. The last few boss QTE's were near impossible the first time round as you really didn't have enough time to respond so it was down to a photographic memory and lots of trial and error...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:10 am

They weren't exactly testing, but I found the hammer X to open the grates in Arkham Asylum quite annoying. You just have to do it so often.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:47 am

I have no problem with button mash or QTE.

What I dislike is when co-op forces you to BOTH be as good as each other - I can't play Resi 5 with my mate as he is TERRIBLE at button mashing, so we constantly fail when the temple ruin collapses for about 20 goes till he manages it, and if he's playign as Sheva on the final boss - he falls in the lava when she grabs the edge EVERY time - and it's not his fault, he just CANNOT button mash, that bit is so pathetically long (the latter of the two) that even I don't manage it sometimes!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

GunstarHero

Post by GunstarHero » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:37 pm

You must realy hate track and field then

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:43 pm

GunstarHero wrote:You must realy hate track and field then
thats the game they created turbo buttons for

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:19 pm

i also hate button mashers,the start to aquatic games on the MD,i would struggle to get past THAT,quite often i would just give up,i have found that they got easier with each generation either that or i just played increasingly easier games :?

not a big fan of QTE's either they are too distracting to what's happening on screen,it's more enjoyable to someone watching than the person playing.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

NintendoLegend

Post by NintendoLegend » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:03 pm

I am not a fan of QTEs -- and, alright, forgive my blatant retro bias, but I have always seen button-mashing ability as one of the true marks of gamesmanship (think along the lines of traits like reaction time, etc.). Sure, you could use a turbo button for Track & Field, but the real test was to see how many rounds you and a friend could go with natural talent. Some people are faster than others, many use different methods, but I love that developers have kept button-mashing around in some form or another.

... However, I will concede that if we ever saw the true end of button-mashing as a gameplay mechanic, I would shed no tears. I can certainly understand that, especially nowadays, it just seems somewhat unnecessary.
Nintendo Legend -- one retro gamer's quest to play and review every NTSC-region NES game!

My favorite retro-gaming shirt -- "Pipe Dreams"

Pssst: Use promo code “NLegend” at J2Games.com for 20% off! New titles, classic carts, whatever!

TheSpeedOfSex

Post by TheSpeedOfSex » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:01 pm

What a disaster. I'm reading through this entire post and you're all describing rapid fire.

A button masher is a person who isn't necessarily good at games, so they randomly mash buttons on a controller and hope they would pull out something right.
ie. Eddy Gordo in Tekken

But I agree with what NintendoLegend said. It is one of the true marks of gamemanship. With rapid fire I think of games such as Point Blank, Metal Gear Solid (PSX), Street Fighter, BMFM (SNES) and even Shmups to an extent. They all have an element of rapid fire and it's there to test your endurance.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:13 pm

in case you havent noticed most of my voiced displeasure was about QTE's

NintendoLegend

Post by NintendoLegend » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:23 pm

TheSpeedOfSex wrote:What a disaster. I'm reading through this entire post and you're all describing rapid fire.

A button masher is...
Thank you!! I knew we had the wrong term (I think of button-mashing as when my younger sister used to beat me as a fluke in fighting games) but I couldn't think of the proper correct phrase! :lol: :oops: :( :o
Nintendo Legend -- one retro gamer's quest to play and review every NTSC-region NES game!

My favorite retro-gaming shirt -- "Pipe Dreams"

Pssst: Use promo code “NLegend” at J2Games.com for 20% off! New titles, classic carts, whatever!