Speedball 2 - which version is best?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Tapey297

Post by Tapey297 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:55 am

I own the Amiga, C64 and megadrive versions And my opinion is that the C64 did a sterling job but obviously not in quite the same class as the 16-bit versions. If I remeber correctly the visible playing area is slightly bigger on the MD version And I also liked the password system as if you swop blocks of code within the password you often get a valid password for a team with more star players!! however I think the Amiga version just pips the megadrive on Graphics and sound (the Ice Cream is not in the MD version!!).

Whichever version you play, all hail SPEEDBALL 2 as the best sports game of all time.

Eugene Mamalookaboobooday

Post by Eugene Mamalookaboobooday » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:43 am

CD32 version rocks as well. Same as the amiga version with some extra speech in.

The PSX Speedball 2100 wasn't that bad. People didn't like it because nothing had been added from the original concept but as a game its ok.
Kill Kill Kill....Da white man

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:48 am

duh..PSX speedball 2100 was like the worst of the worse. All of the physics of the game were wrong man.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

psj3809

Re:

Post by psj3809 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:56 am

Tapey297 wrote:I own the Amiga, C64 and megadrive versions And my opinion is that the C64 did a sterling job but obviously not in quite the same class as the 16-bit versions. If I remeber correctly the visible playing area is slightly bigger on the MD version And I also liked the password system as if you swop blocks of code within the password you often get a valid password for a team with more star players!! however I think the Amiga version just pips the megadrive on Graphics and sound (the Ice Cream is not in the MD version!!).

Whichever version you play, all hail SPEEDBALL 2 as the best sports game of all time.
Just wish you could play as a franchise, eg season after season and it doesnt end just after the top season in Div 1. The knockout cup is entertaining though but wish you could just carry on playing for years and save your progress etc.

Elgin_McQueen

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:35 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Tapey297 wrote:I own the Amiga, C64 and megadrive versions And my opinion is that the C64 did a sterling job but obviously not in quite the same class as the 16-bit versions. If I remeber correctly the visible playing area is slightly bigger on the MD version And I also liked the password system as if you swop blocks of code within the password you often get a valid password for a team with more star players!! however I think the Amiga version just pips the megadrive on Graphics and sound (the Ice Cream is not in the MD version!!).

Just wish you could play as a franchise, eg season after season and it doesnt end just after the top season in Div 1. The knockout cup is entertaining though but wish you could just carry on playing for years and save your progress etc.
yeah, that would make it for me, make the game longer, maybe a high score table, the odd bit and piece here and there and i'd buy it.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Elgin_McQueen

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:36 pm

demon cleaner wrote:Speedball is coming back in 2007:

http://www.speedball2.de/
Um, does it tell you anything? Vause I aint registering on some random German site just to find out there's no real information there.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

forestville

Post by forestville » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:02 pm

amiga only 8) 8) 8) 8)
Press play on tape

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:18 pm

Eugene Mamalookaboobooday wrote:CD32 version rocks as well. Same as the amiga version with some extra speech in.

The PSX Speedball 2100 wasn't that bad. People didn't like it because nothing had been added from the original concept but as a game its ok.
I didn't like it because Dead Ball Zone was considerably better despite being older.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Lentini2001

Post by Lentini2001 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:23 pm

Another vote for the Amiga version please!

Delboy

Post by Delboy » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:09 pm

Dude some games were just made for the amiga.

Cannon Fodder, Sensible Soccer, Chaos Engine, and yes, Speedball 2.

Also i`m really disappointed recently with the slack conversions onto mobile phones, Speedball 2 being one of them, no career mode or a chance to upgrade your team, just a match & then another match.. Speedball 2 being a small example of classics not converting as they should...

batman877

Post by batman877 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:15 am

The Mega Drive version was an impressive conversion, but I have to say the Amiga version takes the crown! :D

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:54 pm

Dudley wrote:
Eugene Mamalookaboobooday wrote:CD32 version rocks as well. Same as the amiga version with some extra speech in.

I didn't like it because Dead Ball Zone was considerably better despite being older.
OK, I now have PSX Dead Ball Zone and what a dog egg of a game....

It annoyed me in like 5 mins. I pick blue team, CPU picks red team. Blue team has red circle round active player, red team has blue circle around active player. Annoying, confusing and pretty dull.

I gave it an hour to grow on me but gave up. Speedball 2100 is like all over this.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:21 pm

Can't believe anyone actually defending the travesty that is Speedball 2001. The graphics were messy, the gameplay was wrong and it just wasn't a patch on Speedball 2. There's no reason whatsoever to play 2001, when you can play Speedball 2.

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:58 pm

StarEye wrote:Can't believe anyone actually defending the travesty that is Speedball 2001. The graphics were messy, the gameplay was wrong and it just wasn't a patch on Speedball 2. There's no reason whatsoever to play 2001, when you can play Speedball 2.

WTF?????? I wasn't.

Try reading the complete discussion and you'll realise I was comparing a very bad game to an even worse game. and its speedball 2100 f**knuts...
Retrotechy.

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:50 pm

Talk about overreacting. I read the discussion, and to me, your last words sounded positive against Speedball 2100 ("Speedball 2100 is all over this"). And you didn't say you were comparing a very bad game over a worse game. It sounded like you meant Speedball 2100 was good, while Dead Ball Zone was bad.