Poll - Do you play new releases?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Poll - Do you play the latest game releases?

Yes I do
81%
No I don’t
19%

Total votes: 365

bsg

Re: Poll - Do you play new releases?

Post by bsg » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:51 pm

I own both a ps3 and an Xbox 360 and once I can find one at a good enough price to warrant the purchase, I will get a Wii. As someone pointed out earlier 'gaming is gaming' - I enjoy playing Black ops for a couple of hours, then I will boot up the Amiga and sit playing Walker or Cannon Fodder for a couple of hours.

Retro gaming is my pet love purely because of the memories that come attached to it, whereas current gen gaming for myself is more of a social gameplay experience due to me being housebound the majority of the time due to health problems - playing Black Ops with friends and family at least keeps me in contact with other people.
http://www.youtube.com/user/bsg7 < my Youtube games review / collection channel

thl

Post by thl » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:41 pm

I play on both Xbox 360 and PS3 very often nowadays as I had myself drawn into it a lot. It has so much to offer that allows you to stay on track with the recent updates from both Xbox Live, PSN and other gaming communities. Originally when it comes to a new game, the single player/campaign mode would be considered as the starting point, especially if you're going to understand the storyline and experience immersity of those cinematic set pieces.

Since the introduction of online multiplayer, that's where I became hooked by it as I spent hours on Call of Duty 4 and Modern Warfare 2. Plus it does help prolong the lifespan as this feature is surely going to be incredibly popular towards moderrn gamers. At the moment I'm really enjoying online Call of Duty: Black Ops and might look at entering the next prestige.

club

Post by club » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:14 pm

Occasionally. Don't have anything against them per se, I just have quite narrow tastes at the moment. Last new game I really got into was SSF4.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:58 pm

i play whatever game that i like and i have the console for
of the current gen i mostly go for the xbox 360 and the DS
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:59 am

Yep - probably about half new and half retro really. Got the 360, which I mostly use for XBLA games. I think a lot of the XBLA games capture the ethos of the 8 or even 16 bit era, especially the indie range.

I don't think people should read too much into this - with RG winning an award and Imagine Publishing already having a current gen gaming mag, it doesn't seem like our retro needs will be tinkled on.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:14 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
the_hawk wrote:I'm not sure I understand the question.
It's basically to find out if readers of Retro Gamer actually play new games or if they are retro through and through. It will also potentially help us out with interviews, because if publishers know that readers of the magazine also play the latest games it makes it easier for me to secure interviews when developers of old games come over here to talk about their new ones.
Thanks for taking the trouble to explain, that does make it much clearer, ta.

In that case I'd have to say "no", although it may not be the best answer for the good of the magazine, (i.e. less chance of getting some decent interviews you may not otherwise get) it is the honest one, I just see so few games out there today that I have any interest in buying. I'm just not willing to give up my precious few hours a week gaming time to sit through 20 minute cut scenes & half hour tutorials to learn an overwhelming array of buttons & combos that I'll never remember when I eventually get round to actually playing the game.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:37 am

I can think of several occasions where I've decided to buy a game partly based on the knowledge that someone who worked on an old favourite has had a hand in it.

So, I guess that's an emphatic yes from me.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:45 am

A "no" from me, the last gen of consoles I played new releases for were from the Saturn / PSX / N64 era. But for the purpose of securing interviews I'm 100% happy for the RG team to say that I buy not one but five of every single current gen title on it's release date! Or something believable, either way is good. :wink:

batman877

Post by batman877 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:17 am

Yes, I collect the latest releases as well as retro.

I don't buy too many 'full price' games though - £40+ for a new release is a complete rip off - I often wait until they're around the £10 mark a few months down the line. Collecting for PS3 has been very easy cost wise - the only problem I have is hard disk space!

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:02 pm

Dont play new games, they have become too much like hollywood blockbusters.. they have lost the individual sense of humour and quirkiness of the 8 and 16-bit days..

I play NES and famicom / famicom disk system games on original hardware daily.. and occasionally play emulated PC Engine and Things on my homebrew enabled Wii..

Most recent thing I played was DOnkey Kong Country Returns which I loved but finished in 4 days and then went back to playing original 8-bit games..

I was a HUGE emulation fan but now Im finding the original thing is much better!

moshboy

Post by moshboy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:10 am

I answered 'no' because I spend almost all my gaming time playing games through emulators or playing retro-inspired free indie games. I do own a Wii and use the Wii Fit on a regular basis but I really don't include that as a proper gaming experience as such - I just do it to make excersizing a little bit more interesting.

I did used to but got pretty sick of the over saturation and boring settings of first person shooters.

davekam

Post by davekam » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:26 pm

I play about a 50-50 mix of new and retro games. Currently playing fallout 3 (ps3), double dragon (gameboy), and batman returns (snes).

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:17 am

I play anything new and usually own at least console in each gen (actually that's crap I usually own two) But I tend to buy one near to or on release, one 2nd hand MUCH further down the line then another one when the next gen is out.

I play a lot of retro games but for me it's not the fact it's retro, it's the fact that if it's fun - I'll go back and play it again whether its 2 months, 2 years or 20 years down the line. You don't just stop liking something just because it was released many years ago....none of us would watch black and white films as theyre cracking on a bit...but you don't see non-gamers stop watching old films just because they're old!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

William S

Post by William S » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:21 am

I just checked out Steam, and I was surprised at how many new point & click games there were! :o
Very glad to see them making a comeback! :D
I already have 25 games on my wishlist, and I'm quite blown away by that! :lol:
So yes, I'll be playing a lot of new releases shortly!
ImageImageImage

Kaito-kun

Post by Kaito-kun » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:18 pm

I'll play any game, new or old, if it interests me.