Poll - Do you play new releases?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Poll - Do you play the latest game releases?

Yes I do
81%
No I don’t
19%

Total votes: 365

BiNMaN

Re: Poll - Do you play new releases?

Post by BiNMaN » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:00 am

tend to do more retro than modern, however I have spates where I'll play on my ps3 or 360 for hours at a time especially when the kids are in bed and the wifes on a night shift (unless I've a new film to watch)

I buy second hand for myself mainly so it is a *new* release but usually a month behind, however we do get new releases for the eldest from time to time and she tends to like the same games as me so that's a bonus

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:11 am

At the moment i've got a Wii and an Xbox 360, although i tend to not buy AAA titles until they drop in price a little and it's more driving games than anything else when i do; i do have pre-orders in for Raiden Fighters Aces and Deathsmiles and plan to buy Portal 2 at some point, though. =-)

Bland_Boy

Post by Bland_Boy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:58 am

rant with list;-
blown too much money on passing fad games that don't stand the test of time.
I occassionaly buy new-releases if i've been watching previews/reading/had a general level of interest in them.
But usually regret it later.

recent regrets(last 5 years) of day-1 purchases from memory:-
Donkey Kong COuntry Returns (Wii), pricey for a 2d sidescrolling platform game.
Fallout New Vegas (PC) same as fallout3, only I dumped much less time.
Fallout 3 (360) dumping over 600-800 hours, only to realise afterward it was not worthy of my time.
Sid Mier's Pirates (PC) glitchy graphics, maybe due to my PC at the time, or poor programming, I prefer the classic amiga version.
Dragon Age Origins (PC) kinda okay, but way overhyped for what it was. basic rpg. should probably be the base-line for all rgs, though i'd expect all to be at least
a little better than this, or not worthy of any time.
Guitar Hero World Tour (360) created multiple original musical scores. barely unbody saw or heard of them, or rated, and harmonix or activision eventually completely dumped the online community portion of the game (probably within a year or so)
Bioshock (360) palyed it up to a point, then gave-up on the repetitive and uncompelling gameplay.
Oblivion (360) radiant a.i. was a joke,
Fable II (360) such hype for a waste of my time
godfather (wii) waggle-puss-theatre
monster hunter tri (wii) such a grind, a chore, and a bore.
GTA IV (360) forcing you to play the main story to access most of the game-world is a big no-no for me, and kills the replay value immensly.
red dead redemption (360) , though admitedly fun for a while.
Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii), what a boring-series of mock-fps games.
Eledees (Wii), poor.
Epic Mickey (Wii), not in the same league as Mario Galaxy 1 or 2.
mario kart wii (Wii) online matchmaking sucked, mostly laggy mess, and gameplay does not compare to Mario Kart 64, Super Mario Kart or even Mario Kart Super Circuit.
Wii fitness (Wii) not enough games to keep me interested for more than about 12 seconds.
Super Paper Mario (Wii), terrible, no words to describe how much sucks compared with the excellent Paper Mario.

I suppose I could've waited for a price-drop on all these, before trying them.
So I by less and less games (day-1 release) each year.
And when I do buy them(most of them) day-1, they were flashy and impressive enough in previews to seemingly warrant purchase,
but then the appeal wears off within a week or two, and you're left feeling hollowed-out from the inside.
Last edited by Bland_Boy on Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
For a videogame that was released 11 years ago now, Perfect Dark for the N64 completely trounces all its FPS competitors
of the last decade or so, in terms of variety of multiplayer option at your disposal.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:01 am

I'm not sure I understand the question.

I don't have PS3 or 360. I do have a Wii but I don't think I've ever bought anything on week of release or anything, usually about 6-12 months after it's out & in the bargain bins. I'm not sure if that counts, I mean I'm certainly not averse to picking up something on day of release if it's something I really want, but there hasn't been a game that I'm absolutely dying to get for many many years now.

I do download loads of stuff on to my iphone does that count?

If not then I'll vote no. :D
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

merman

Post by merman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:05 am

I play more new games now than I used to, but a significant proportion of my time is taken up by retro gaming.

(And given the section of the forum this poll is in, I'd say it was unrelated to altering the magazine, so don't worry)
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

pforson

Post by pforson » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:31 am

The Xbox360 is the first console I have bought new. It's good and I like the ease at which it functions. I tend to play live arcade games more than retail games, I find them more manageable in small chunks. My time is split pretty much 50/50 between retro and the 360.
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:10 am

"We've been asked to a quick research poll" sounds like it's come from on high, so probably is about magazine content. I hope it's just about advertising, though.

I play lots of contemporary games (more than retro at the moment thanks to the upsurge in quality of late) but I buy Retro Gamer to read about video games history. If I want to read reviews of new games I'll use the internet.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

zapiy

Post by zapiy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:45 am

I probably play more newer games than retro stuff these days due to having younger kids and wanting to keep that gear in good condition.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:34 am

Bland_Boy wrote:Fallout 3 (360) dumping over 600-800 hours, only to realise afterward it was not worthy of my time.
Hey ho, at least you tested it properly.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:02 am

the_hawk wrote:I'm not sure I understand the question.

I don't have PS3 or 360. I do have a Wii but I don't think I've ever bought anything on week of release or anything, usually about 6-12 months after it's out & in the bargain bins. I'm not sure if that counts, I mean I'm certainly not averse to picking up something on day of release if it's something I really want, but there hasn't been a game that I'm absolutely dying to get for many many years now.

I do download loads of stuff on to my iphone does that count?

If not then I'll vote no. :D
It's basically to find out if readers of Retro Gamer actually play new games or if they are retro through and through. It will also potentially help us out with interviews, because if publishers know that readers of the magazine also play the latest games it makes it easier for me to secure interviews when developers of old games come over here to talk about their new ones.

I would also like to add that this poll isn't being used as a gauge to find out if we can start doing making ofs of Halo, Gears of War and Heavy Rain ;)

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:18 am

^ Good idea for the April issue though. :lol:

A mix for me, I guess. I've started playing recent import games for my PSP, but a lot of the time it's MAME FTW. As other people have suggested I think most of us here are just gamers that also really like old games, and are interested in the history of gaming.

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:33 am

I use my 360 to play mostly retro games like the Megadrive collection but like to keep an eye on the latest games, especially retro related - need for speed etc.

The latest games though tend to be over complicated sandbox multiple buttoned gameplayless with no fun factor.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:37 am

Yeah, quite a few of them. I don't always buy new releases but I like to play quite a few of the latest games that appeal to my tastes. I rent quite a few games from LoveFilm at the moment.

I play retro games on my PC with emulation from time to time, I don't currently own any original hardware. As in Reto hardware.

I do own a DS, PSP, Original Xbox, 360 and PS3.
Last edited by MattyC64c on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:38 am

I just play games I like regardless of age.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:39 pm

Yes i do.Also, one of the best things about newer machines is the ability to play arcade perfect conversions of stuff i wasted hours and lot of money on as a youth.Likes of MAME, various Retro.Compilations have been a god send.My C64 could never hope to do so many arcade games justice, yet today, all within reach.

Bonus! :D