Poll - Do you play new releases?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Poll - Do you play the latest game releases?

Yes I do
81%
No I don’t
19%

Total votes: 365

edy

Re: Poll - Do you play new releases?

Post by edy » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:35 pm

I wait till the prices go down before buying recent stuff, have plently of games to keep me occupied while waiting for the price to drop.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:40 pm

After playing loads of new(ish) titles of late I have discovered that they are very unfullfilling.. They can be be breathtakingly epic and amazing while playing, but once complete the novelty vanishing immediately and I need my next fix. I can never be bothered with playing through again or going for xbox achievements or whatever as the magic has gone. New games, unless played multiplayer online, have zero replayability. That's why I find myself chucking them all in the cupboard and playing Jackal, Green Beret, Galaga, Dig Dug 2, Mr Do, Scramble, Track n Field, Mappy, Congo Bongo, Rastan and more.. I will still play these with fondness and enjoyment in another 20 years time.. What new games can say the same? As enjoyable as things likes Gears of War 3, Mass Effect 3, LA Noire, Uncharted 3 are in the here and now, theres no way they will be anything but a sidenote of history in decades to come.

Anyway Im off to play Gears of War 3 online again and get my ass handed to me by a bunch of kids with ninja reflexes, then sulk and play Circus Charlie instead.

*Please note, all the above is gibberish and should be ignored by everybody. New games are brilliant .. you just have to look for the ones with soul.. like FEZ (go buy this immediately people!!), Hack Slash Loot, Legend of Grimrock, Spelunky etc.

New indie games are the way forward.

Arque

Post by Arque » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:29 pm

edy wrote:I wait till the prices go down before buying recent stuff, have plently of games to keep me occupied while waiting for the price to drop.
I like new games. I don't like new prices. Pre-owned for me.

Nall

Post by Nall » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:31 pm

I only own a PSP and a DS which I don't play that often, but I do pick up some new-ish (as in, released within the past 5-6 years) games a couple times a year. Most of the time I'm playing either Megadrive, NES, or older PC games, but I will cave a get some newer stuff for my handhelds every so often like Maverick Hunter X, Dissidia Duodecim, Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, Tactics Ogre, or Grand Theft Auto Vice City Stories. I pretty much only own my DS for Pokemon, and am looking forward to Pokemon Black/White 2 in the next several months.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:24 pm

thl wrote:
woody.cool wrote:I answered No, as by the time I play new releases, they are no longer 'NEW' - this is down to the fact I don't own a current gen console at all, and I find PC gaming too much of a chore.
Didn't you use to have the Xbox 360? I recalled having those conversation with you through Xbox Live.
I sold it just before I moved own to Chelmsford (we all know how that saga ended, it got splashed all over the forum :lol: ) and never got round to replacing it with another 360 once I moved back to Northampton. I plan to do so at some point, but money is a little tight at the moment.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:11 pm

Bar a few recent Wii games and the latest Fifa I never play other new games. Just not interested in most and I have gotten over trying to play every title.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

RYAN WHITELAW

Post by RYAN WHITELAW » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:00 pm

yes i do.
Thats a very fine chardonay you're not drinking.....

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:27 pm

Not anymore, no.

I had planned to try some (old) Xbox tonight as my racing cycle is out of action but spent all night watching Stargate SG1 dvds....

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:53 am

I used to, but very rarely these days. In fact, I barely play any current gen games at all now.

That will change hopefully when Halo 4 arrives.

melissaDi

Post by melissaDi » Tue May 01, 2012 4:24 pm

Barely got time to play anything right now, but have a respectable amount of hours logged on Skyrim. For shorter sessions i tend to fire up the oldies though ;)
Yo ;) Life isn't easy, that's why i try to add beautiful things to it ! I make music with Dr Drum, mostly trance & dub, and draw on my trusty old tablet ;) Oh yeah, and i play retro games, mostly NES and Genesis, link to collection coming soon :D