Poll - Do you play new releases?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Poll - Do you play the latest game releases?

Yes I do
81%
No I don’t
19%

Total votes: 365

Mero

Re: Poll - Do you play new releases?

Post by Mero » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:01 am

Not really, no. I have a Japanese 360 for the various STG ports that have come out for it over the past few years but were it not for that fact I don't think I'd even own a current gen console. Most current gen stuff looks pretty boring to me.

Sp33dFr34k

Post by Sp33dFr34k » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:08 pm

Yes I do! I try to play 1 current and 1 retro game simultanuously and finish them as good as I can. This way they don't wind up in the closet before I finish them :)

Maku

Post by Maku » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:52 am

I do play new releases but very rarely I prefer all the classic games. :)
Once again, the trousers of evil are yanked down by the mocking hands of justice!

Jonboy1977

Post by Jonboy1977 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:28 pm

I am one of those people who have to buy a new system on release day. I have to be there at the start, nothing beats that feeling and I still remember the days I got my Nes, Snes, Megadrive, etc on day 1.

I was there in line for all 3 of the current gen consoles on release day. Whats great now is the cost, you can pick up hundreds of 360 titles for less than a Fiver now. My 360 collection stands at 250+ games and most of them were bought cheap. Example : Deathsmiles special edition on Ebay £7, Super streetfighter IV Arcade edition just bought today for £4.67, Rayman Origins and Sonic Generations Around £10 each and Sonic allstar Eacing for £5.

How can you go wrong.
Life is What passes you by while you are too busy making plans.

Maturity is Overrated.

SomeScrub

Post by SomeScrub » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:01 am

Yeah but mostly just fighting games, I'm particularly hype for sfxt. I just have no patience with modern games so if you aren't playing the game within a few minutes of turning it on, no thanks.
Fighting game, side scroller, shmup, and general arcade enthusiast.
Sfxt:Rufus, Hugo SF4:Bison, Gief, Rufus 3s:Hugo down to play fighter's, shumps, wudeva over xbla
WTB saturn/psp games

freemonk

Post by freemonk » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:34 pm

Of course. The SNES was a new console in the past, just like the X360, Wii and PS3 are now.

In 10 years time I'm sure they'll be retro collectors after a full set of Wii or X360 games. Shame that they'll be collecting a lot of sh1te titles in there mission of that full set!
WANTED: Spiderman: Web of Shadows (X360) / Mario Party 4 to 7 (GC) / Pikmin 2 (GC) / Muscle Bomber (SFC) / Bonkers (SNES) / Nosferatu (SNES) / Scramble (Vectrex) / Einhander (PS1) / Patapon 3 (PSP) / Sin and Punishment 2 (Wii)

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:31 pm

I don't play new games any more. I'm well aware that new games are better, but I just can't relate to them. Even new games with retro influences don't interest me. Yes, they are better: they take old ideas and remake them with better graphics and sound and more importantly they refine the gameplay, bringing them to the modern era. But still I prefer the originals despite their clunkiness.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:52 am

Nope, I prefer to buy them a few months old, cheaper, generally getting 5-6 games for the price of a brand new release.
I did get Mass effect 3 as a new release, but only cos it was free with the 360 on a promotion! :lol:

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:35 am

I used to only play retro games, with the occasion newish PC FPS thrown in.. loving DOOM, Wolfenstein 3d, and NES games, to name but a few things. But I always loved indie games, which have the gameplay of old classics, with a bit of polish to the gameplay.

Then 2 years ago I got a wii cheap, and fell in love with 'new' gaming.. then last year I got an xbox 360 and I was blown away all over again. Yes there are a heck of a lot of crap titles, but when you find a good title, boy are they good! Strangely it's not so much the retail games that do it for me (although I think Gears of War 3 and Battlefield 3 are masterpieces of online gaming), but the XBLA download service, with updates of old classics like Pacman, Afterburner, Guardian Heroes, Daytona USA, Outrun, Final Fight etc etc and original 'old school' titles like Scott Pilgrim, Shadow Complex, Sine Mora, Yar's Revenge, Trials HD, Rez etc etc

The xbox 360 is, in my opinion, the best console ever made due to these games.. and I feel it is very short-sighted of people to dismiss new consoles without trying out the XBLA titles. I think if you feel that indie or XBLA titles don't do it for you and you prefer to seek solace in games from the 1980's as they remind you of your youth, then you are both missing out on great gaming, and prehaps it is a warning sign that you have become too old (outgrown) video games, and they are more a nostalgia trip than a form of entertainment.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:28 pm

Ive got a 360 but ive never bought a "new" game for it except the ones i got for prezzies ,i always buy preowned, and my retro playing far and away beats any new current gen games i play.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:24 pm

oldtimer wrote:Ive got a 360 but ive never bought a "new" game for it except the ones i got for prezzies ,i always buy preowned, and my retro playing far and away beats any new current gen games i play.

Well of course it would if you don't have any games for it.. hahahaha

"I prefer my 'insert retro console with loads of games here' to my xbox 360 (for which I have no games except crap I get given for xmas)" .. well dur! :lol:

spiderpig0402

Post by spiderpig0402 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:21 pm

naturally yes. just out of curiosity but sometimes stick to it. I myself am a gamer, so i usually test out new releases.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:36 pm

I answered No, as by the time I play new releases, they are no longer 'NEW' - this is down to the fact I don't own a current gen console at all, and I find PC gaming too much of a chore.

thl

Post by thl » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:20 am

woody.cool wrote:I answered No, as by the time I play new releases, they are no longer 'NEW' - this is down to the fact I don't own a current gen console at all, and I find PC gaming too much of a chore.
Didn't you use to have the Xbox 360? I recalled having those conversation with you through Xbox Live.

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:14 pm

I do play some new releases. I'm not really one for going out and buying the latest games, I think the only game I've gone out and bought at release in the past couple of years was Uncharted 3. However I do occasionally pick up some pre-owned games for my XBOX360 and PS3, and sometimes get some of the XBLA and PSN games. I think at the moment I play the newer non-retro games about as much as the older retro stuff (my time is pretty limited so I don't get to play games much and with the TV in the living room being hogged by the kids I'm finding myself playing on my DS and PSP a bit more).

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood