Poll - Do you play new releases?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Poll - Do you play the latest game releases?

Yes I do
81%
No I don’t
19%

Total votes: 365

NeilT

Re: Poll - Do you play new releases?

Post by NeilT » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:38 pm

No current generation console.

Quite happy with the Dreamcast, Gamecube, X-box etc.
Plus the games are plentiful and a lot cheaper.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:43 pm

I am as interested in modern games as I am in retro games. I personally have no objection to articles like the Future Classics. Retro is entirely a point of view, depending on your age and personal tastes. In my opinion covering any consoles that are no longer have regular releases, or any modern game that has some sort of retro heritage is fair game. For the record, Retrogamer is the only games magazine that i now buy.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:48 pm

Yes I play new release games but only when they've dropped below £20 or if they're a continuation of a favorite series (Metal Gear Solid 8) )

The Dome

Post by The Dome » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:49 pm

I probably do more reading, investigation and investing in retro but at the moment actually more time playing current gen consoles (and PC).

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:10 pm

NeilT wrote:Quite happy with the Dreamcast, Gamecube, X-box etc.
Not really. A big chunk of my current gen games have been bought for around a fiver, so there's not much in it. As a general rule I aim for £20-25 max and I've paid a good sight more than that for some of my retro stuff.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:30 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
NeilT wrote:Quite happy with the Dreamcast, Gamecube, X-box etc.
Not really. A big chunk of my current gen games have been bought for around a fiver, so there's not much in it. As a general rule I aim for £20-25 max and I've paid a good sight more than that for some of my retro stuff.
this is why i am considering buying an xbox 360, cos the games are so cheap now.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:01 pm

Not much interest at all in buying myself a current-gen console. I'm sure there are plenty of absolutely amazing modern releases out at the moment - but personally, I'm more than happy continuing to enjoy the kind of old-school games I've loved since I was little and don't feel it would be worth the investment buying a new console that I think I'd probably hardly bother with. Plus, I'm certainly not prepared to part with my telly that my parents first got either before or after I was born (a couple of mates who took the p*ss out of it when they were round here have both had no end of problems with their flat-screen plasma things, this has never had to have the back off it once!)...would a new console be able to connect to it...? No idea, and I ain't spending the money finding out! :)
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:17 pm

Yes, this was the best poll people could come up with?

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:22 pm

Yes. I buy new PC games and the odd 360 game when the price becomes more acceptable!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:43 am

I normally wait a couple of months so the price is half or less and then buy the game(s) if I really like them.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:55 am

If this is for RG, are they considering a 'reverse GamesTM' scenario, having a retro mag with a current games section?

That's likely to hurt GamesTM sales as it'd negate the need for me to buy it for current gaming news and reviews. I can't be the only one who buys it for those reasons.

As long as there's not a merger of the two being considered. We all know how those work out having seen so many other mags suffer that fate.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:14 am

The Xbox 360 got me back into gaming. Whilst I had a PS2, Dreamcast, SNES, Gameboy and Gameboy colour, I'd stopped gaming completely, although I did keep in touch via RG and Games tm - because I enjoyed reading about retro games and also what was available now. But I rarely gamed, beyond the odd Vice City session or a bit of time on some of the retro compliations on the PS2 (Capcom, Taito, etc)

However, when I was given my Xbox 360 for my birthday, it re-started my gaming love and Xbox Live took that a stage further.

Do I buy latest releases? Not many, I got Black Ops for Xmas, but I tend to while and get games either pre-owned or when their price has dropped a bit, like Just Cause 2 for £12, which I'm enjoying at the moment.

With home, family life, etc I find it hard to justisfy £40 on a game, but waiting a few weeks and getting it for £15 makes it more of an impluse purchase.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:56 am

Id enjoy them.

if I had the money to I would

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:30 am

Have a Wii and PSP, but pretty much all the games I have for them are at least a year old. Any newer titles I have were Xmas presents. At a push, I voted No.

Edwards80

Post by Edwards80 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:44 am

I still like playing new releases. I only bought my xbox 360 last year so I still have a ton of older titles to choose from but it hasn't stopped me buying new games that catch my eye.

Haven't really regretted spending the extra cash on any so far. Just pre-ordered Bulletstorm too :D