Poll - Do you play new releases?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Poll - Do you play the latest game releases?

Yes I do
81%
No I don’t
19%

Total votes: 365

Im[a]gica

Re: Poll - Do you play new releases?

Post by Im[a]gica » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:16 am

I play both, retro and new.
But with the new games (I play on pc and PS3) I often choose the ones that have that retro feeling.
Limbo, Outland and Bastion are currently keeping me occupied :D

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:23 am

For me its more to do with time, and how much I have. Its logical to play an older game that is quick and easy to pick up , than to load up a ps3/360 and wait for the dash board to load etc, before getting into a game. IF I have only 10 mins to spare, Id pick up Outrun or Super Hangon and play that, rather than try and find an online game session or try and progress a little in a single player campaign of this generation.

Whazeboo

Post by Whazeboo » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:47 am

I have a tendency to play new releases that are drenched in an unique atmosphere or dare to be different from the majority of me-too shooters. Alice - Madness Returns, Batman - Arkham Asylum and Mirror's Edge to name but a few.

leightonandoff

Post by leightonandoff » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:01 pm

I don't even have a current gen console. The most recent machine I have is a Gamecube (or DS if we're counting handhelds.)
Can't say I feel like I'm missing out when it comes to full price releases, as I don't like Call of Duty or sports games . :shock:
Although I do look at all the cool, interesting stuff available for download (both retro re-releases & new stuff) and get a little envious sometimes, but I don't have the cash to buy an entire console for just that reason at the moment. :(

hookshot_john

Post by hookshot_john » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:12 pm

It's a hard question, because I might pick a new game up every year or so, but I always come back to retro. It will be hard to pass up on Skyrim when it comes out in November here in the states...

ewjim

Post by ewjim » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:06 am

yea i still play new games... i work at a mc donalds-esque game shop who have just started to let us borrow games. so im going to be nailing as many ones as possible that i missed out on
FEEL FREE TO ADD ME ON XBOX LIVE

DoctorForbin

Post by DoctorForbin » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:44 pm

more new games than old these days - mainly due to
being easier to buy/play something on current gen. my older consoles
get short bursts of attention.
THERE...IS...ANOTHER...SYSTEM......

Budly Moore

Post by Budly Moore » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:11 pm

I rarely ever play the same game twice to the end, there are exceptions of course. But I'm the same with books and dvd's. I mostly play newer games because of this but they're usually pre-owned.

the1980gamer

Post by the1980gamer » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:33 pm

I have quite a few retro consoles and the 3 current gen consoles, and enjoy playing all of them.
As for new releases, there are so many great games being released for current gen, battlefield 3, mw3, GTA5 ( new trailer on rockstar website) etc. IDE be mad not to pick them up.
But I also still love the mario's, zelda, castlevainia on my retro systems.
check out my youtube channel at, http://www.youtube.com/user/the1980gamer

Alfred Chicken

Post by Alfred Chicken » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:24 pm

Play current gen stuff as well as the retro games. Love the older games for there more immediate impact when i'm in that mood but this generations games are, to me personally, probably the best line up of games of any generation so far.

WinstonSmith6079

Post by WinstonSmith6079 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:55 pm

Do I play new releases? Yes, I do. Well I do if they're good. And fortunately many are, some even better than others hehehehe Games like Half-Life, Tron 2.0, BioShock, Dead Space, and Batman: Arkham Asylum (and etc.) are as good as anything I've ever played, and I've played a lot, since the coin-ops in the arcades in the mid- to late-'70s hehehehe

But I'd like to play rather more 8-bit & 16-bit games than I have in some years now hehehe Hence my coming here hehehe But I like newer games too; I play them hehehe But I am wishing right now for more 8- & 16-bit game support (and, by that, emulation and porting) on the Inet, including the web hehehehe Yeah, that would be excellent hehehe

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:54 pm

Im not a big retro gamer tbh, im more of a one for fond memories and only set up my old stuff when I have the time and motivation. I would say that my 360 and PS3 will probably take up the vast majority of my gaming time. So yes, inevitably, I do play new releases. I like to try and wait until a game is reduced in price. But a triple a title always gets pre ordered. Or impulse bought.

Eat your nans pants

RichPT

Post by RichPT » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:11 pm

I think people who don't play new releases are a bit strange, it would be like not watching films that were made after 1995. If you are passionate about games how can you stop playing them?

Out of the new games I play - i do tend to play games that are the most immediate - so games like Pacman CE, Geometry Wars 2, Outrun HD. This is mainly for time reasons, and i get a bit annoyed when every game has to have a story - i just want to shoot things! Currently i play Super Streetfighter 4 every day (ive been doing that for 10 weeks now!). I am completely addicted to it, to the point where i think it is the best game ever. It wouldnt be the same without online play though - something we never had in the old days. Yesterday i played Steetfighter Hyperfighting online against a friend (also on my 360), its good but nowhere near as good as SFIV. It's true that theres a lot of crap games around today but there always were.....

Dramagod

Post by Dramagod » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:04 pm

In the last five years I've bought maybe 2-3 games within a year of their release. Games like Super Mario Galaxy 2, The Conduit and that's pretty much it. This is mostly because I can't afford to buy games that cost 40 euros or more. 95% of the games I buy are in the 1-10 euro price range. If I had the money, sure I'd buy the newest games. I would go out tomorrow and buy Skyrim, Skyward Sword, Uncharted 3, Arkham City, Dark Souls and more. But in reality it'll take probably minimum a year before I get to buy those games. One good thing about being into older games is that they're cheaper. I buy a lot of PS1 and PS2 games for 1-2 euros. There's endless amount of games you'd like to get but don't have enough dough so you must choose wisely what you put your money into. Or that's the case with yours truly.
Hello. My name is La-li-lu-le-lo. Nice to meet you!

RichPT

Post by RichPT » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:56 pm

I don't know if you already have it, but get Godhand on PS2, it's an awesome game :)

you can actually get PS3/360 games quite cheap on Ebay, if you wait a while after release. I have 2 Xbox 360 games on Ebay at the moment for under £5 each and neither have sold :( Probably not quite as low in price as you want though.