Poll - Do you play new releases?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Poll - Do you play the latest game releases?

Yes I do
81%
No I don’t
19%

Total votes: 365

ChipsStockton

Re: Poll - Do you play new releases?

Post by ChipsStockton » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:40 pm

Not so much retail releases, but the Xbox Live/PS3 Network/Steam have quite a good fair amount of games for them that are retro styled or genred.

Braid is an absolutely stunning game, for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfR2DVknaoU

and one called Bastion which was only released about 3 weeks ago is real good fun. Bastion is a dungeon crawler, similar to a one-man gauntlet. Looks great and handles like an old faux-3D game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX48y24t9iU

There's tons more, but those are two that stuck with me long after playing. I think a lot of people miss these sort of games, especially if they don't have the live service which is a shame, because back in the day they would have passed for classics, and if they were a little more fleshed out would be retail releases these days.

dynastygal

Post by dynastygal » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:40 pm

Used to but now I can't afford new releases.

OldSkool

Post by OldSkool » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:28 am

Yes, new releases are far too expensive for me as well. I also don't have too much time to get heavily involved in them, which is why I prefer older games as you are immediately released into the fun without all the faffing around new releases have at the begining.

mlucifersam

Post by mlucifersam » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:57 pm

OldSkool wrote:Yes, new releases are far too expensive for me as well. I also don't have too much time to get heavily involved in them, which is why I prefer older games as you are immediately released into the fun without all the faffing around new releases have at the begining.
I couldnt have put it better!
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

Dramagod

Post by Dramagod » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:38 pm

Very seldom. The newest game I bought was Super Mario Galaxy 2 and the one before that, Super Mario Galaxy. Since I don't have a PS3 or 360, I don't get to buy new games. I was thinking of buying couple more games for Wii, like Xenoblade Chronicles and Skyward Sword but after those, I'm gonna stick with growing my NES, PSX and PS2 game collections. WiiU does sound like a fun machine, so it's possible I will get that some day. Plus the new games are very expensive to a guy like me. I want my games under the 5 euros margin. 10 max.
Hello. My name is La-li-lu-le-lo. Nice to meet you!

rebelstar

Post by rebelstar » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:02 am

if I wasn`t seriously broke at the moment, I`d sure as hell buy Xenoblade Chronicles - even thought I don`t own the Wii. This game has to be supported by any jRpg fan, even if just to stick a finger to all the haters (which are increasingly vocal these days, not only from normal folk but press and industry -even Japanese - as well)

Apart from that I`m hardly ever bothered by new releases. Got too big a backlog across all platforms and i`m happy with it, also hardly any of my friends play games so I don`t get the peer pressure. Got Red Dead Redemption the other day, it`s about the newest thing I have (at 15 euro couldn`t say no though). Also tend to play games that last forever - been playing original STALKER for about 10 months now and I`m only somewhere halfway through...

With PC releases there`s no way I`d get something on day one - gotta wait at least a year for all the mods, patches and that new graphics card. So, looking forward to Skyrim in Feb 2013 :)

Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0

Post by Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:52 pm

I missed Bastion completely. Looks really good. May have to check that one out.

Andy L

Post by Andy L » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:37 am

The only current release I play (and even that's only on a semi-regular basis) is FIFA on the 360. I bought NFS Hot Pursuit partly on the strength of RG's review and have enjoyed that but otherwise, I don't usually have the time or inclination to play through new releases or sit through lengthy intro sequences any more. Nowadays, I'd much rather have a quick blast on MAME or bSnes instead!

Role

Post by Role » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:08 am

I play a few of the new games out and about atm; However I tend to keep going back to a few old favourites on past consoles / PC. i.e. Cool Spot, Road Rash, Civ, Theme Hospital, 7th Guest to name but a few.

ChipsStockton

Post by ChipsStockton » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:39 pm

Been on Dead Island for a bit today with one of my mates. Really good fun, if a little unpolished.

It's like playing Dead Rising in 1st person, in an Oblivion/Fallout based open world, with hoardes of zombies and 4 player teamplay of Left 4 Dead. A real mixed bag.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:16 pm

I play every game on Xbox Live Arcade, there is a lot of iffy content, but many of the games are truely awesome, and just as good as classic games on the 8 / 16 / 32 bit systems, but with nice modern visuals (2d platformers in HD can look amazing)

I would advise anyone with an interest in retro / 2d gaming to get a 360 and get on the XBLA download service as you will find so many great games that dont cost a fortune, and dont take hours to get going..

P.S. Dead Island is a game that I just had to play, as I loved the idea / scenario, so took the plunge and it's the most fun Ive had since Fallout 3 :D

errolwd40

Post by errolwd40 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:44 pm

I do often play up to date titles, but generally they are updates of retro gamer i.e street fighter 4, mortal kombat, virtua tennis, ridge racer etc. I do love the xbox 360 as it is the closest thing to the dreamcast around in my opinion. :o

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:19 am

First of all: Hello retro gamer community!!

Yes, I do play new releases, although recent games are quite different than old ones. I go for new when I want a more immersive experience, with a cinematographic feel. I go for old when I feel upset with something in my life or just want to kill time.
In the end, it's difficult to explain the feelings. I do enjoy new releases and I have a good computer for high performance and graphics. However, new games are way too easy and are not as fun as the old ones, IMHO.

Yesterday I started playing Batman: Arkham's Asylum (or something like that) which was borrowed/recommended by a friend. After 15 minutes I was playing Mr. Nutz on the MD. :oops:

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:13 am

Yes, I do but only if theres a nostalgic reference attached to the game, i.e/ I'll play any Sonic or Mario game good or bad. or any new iteration of a retro franchise or IP that I used to play as a child. (HD remakes do not count, I don't go near them)

Starlight

Post by Starlight » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:39 pm

Yes, Xenoblade is currently holding my time, moreso then my purchases of Mega Drive games...
SEGA, Falcom and "Niche" Nintendo fan