Why Nintendo will not use an Achievement/Trophy system

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ToxieDogg

Re: Why Nintendo will not use an Achievement/Trophy system

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:47 pm

The Angry Jock wrote:
ToxieDogg wrote:
Fightersmegamix wrote:I don't think 'hardcoreness' is really relevent, if people spend less time playing around in games and experimenting it's because they have less free time and there are far too many other games to play.
Maybe not to the likes of you and me, but if you speak to the average teenager who plays on XBL or PSN a lot more than us, they often believe that their whole credibility depends on how high their gamerscore is, or how many trophies they've got. A sad, but true fact.
Sad...like collection building or 1CCing or playing a Commodore 64? :lol:
Nah, not like that at all. Not quite, anyway. :wink: :wink: (and I've never criticised anybody for 1 developing the skill to credit a game, but I can name you people who have)
The Angry Jock wrote:I think some people on here, as usual, are just seeing black & white. Believe it or not some cheevos are sh*te (Avatar, Fight Night 3) and some cheevos are good (Burnout Paradise, MW2,L4D). There are cases when no effort has been put in and it brings absolutely nothing to the game, however there are others where it may make you play a game in a different way (be it weapons, team playing or style)...they CAN add challenge. They can also give you a reward/badge of honour for doing something very difficult, ie Trials HD extreme tracks or marathon cheevos.

Personally, I quite like them. I only tend to really go for them if I like the game.
I don't think they're all sh!te, and they can give you ideas on how to challenge yourself and get a bit more playtime out of a game but to me they add nothing whatsoever to the actual quality, playability or enjoyment factor of the game itself. There's nothing to stop you playing a game a different way without them, and if you like the game then you'll probably try different things with it anyway. In that case, the achievements are a nice little bonus.

But, as a recent example of where they're meaningless, I received an abusive PM from somebody I played against on Gears Of War 2. I don't think he was a very skilled player and I think that I killed him more times than anybody else on his team. But, he'd just levelled up to level 100 and got an 'achievement' for it so he felt the need to tell me that I could F-Off and he was a better player than me anyway because he had the 'achievement' and I didn't. :roll: And I've heard of numerous other people having similar experiences. For the most part it's created a culture of c0cks and d!ckheads who consider themselves a better/more hardcore gamer if they have a higher gamerscore.

When it's been stated that there's people who won't even bother with Wii games, XBLIG and the likes simply because there's no online achievements in them, then that is sad, whatever way you look at it. Although, obviously, each to their own and all that.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:04 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:I don't think they're all sh!te, and they can give you ideas on how to challenge yourself and get a bit more playtime out of a game but to me they add nothing whatsoever to the actual quality, playability or enjoyment factor of the game itself. There's nothing to stop you playing a game a different way without them...
True, but usually there needs to be an incentive to alter playing style, and judging by the amount of uber-el1t3-x5n1PeRzx (who are sh*t) I see on some games a lot of people really do need incentives :)

As for enjoyment etc, I can give you an example of something I was involved with last night...the Gnome Chompski cheevo on L4D2. I joined a game 3 of the RP boys were playing, one of them needed this cheevo so we were helping him out...it was hilarious listening to all the gnome chat, the panic of finding the dropped gnome and being attacked by zombies. It's not the simplest achievement either. That achievement on it's own discounts at least 2, if not all 3, of the factors above.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

sack

Post by sack » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:45 am

The problem I see is that an acheivement or trophy is something concrete than can be acheived in a specific way and the name and discription is a form of spoiler, QA have had hours of time to hammer away at them to check that it is possible... then you have the mythical things you can unlock or discover because you heard about them from a friend-of-a-schoolfriend-who-knows-someone-whose-brother-once-managed-to-do-it-but-I've-not-seen-it-myself..

They might be real, they might be bugs (like them minus world in Super Mario Bros.), or they might not actually exist. Either way the rumour propogates and people will hammer away to see the 'magical orb that makes Samus' clothes fall off' or whatever rumour they've heard from their friends or the internet. I think Nintendo might be right here and those kind of rumours do create a buzz or interest that can prolong interest in a game. Does it work better than an acheivement for the average player these days? I don't know - I just like the idea of these rumours floating around as they once did. At least if someone tries each option then at least we can look back after a while and see.
A9 00 8D 20 D0 8D 21 D0 60