Why Nintendo will not use an Achievement/Trophy system

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

happyguy151

Why Nintendo will not use an Achievement/Trophy system

Post by happyguy151 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:29 am

[url]http://www.officialnintendomagazine....e.php?id=23072[/url]

Nintendo has explained why it will not be following the modern trend of giving gamers points or trophies for their gaming achievements.

Nintendo marketing man Bill Trinen told Kotaku that the company isn't opposed to achievements before going on to make the case against them! According to Nintendo of America's head of product marketing, a sense of exploration is more important than a mythical reward.

We're not opposed to Achievements," said Trinen. "When they create their games, [Nintendo's designers] don't tell you how to play their game in order to achieve some kind of mythical reward.

He added: "Basically, the way the games are designed is they're designed for you to explore the game yourself and have this sense of discovery. To that end, I think that when you look specifically at games from EAD [the group long led by Mario and Donkey Kong creator Shigeru Miyamoto] and a lot of other games that Nintendo has developed as well, there are things you can do in the game that will result in some sort of reward or unexpected surprise

"In my mind, that really encourages the sense of exploration rather than the sense of 'If I do that, I'm going to get some sort of artificial point or score that's going to make me feel better that I got this.' And that, to me, is I think more compelling."

So that's Nintendo's point of view. Do you agree with Trinen or do you like the idea of achievement points?

I just thought some people on here might be interested in Nintendos point of view on not wanting to use achievements/ trophies now or in future consoles/handhelds.

Does anybody agree at all with this guys opinion in the article? or do you love hunting for achievements/trophies and think Nintendo should embrace it?

Team Alfie

Re: Why Nintendo will not use an Achievement/Trophy system

Post by Team Alfie » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:11 am

If I conveniently ignore what I use for my sig, I agree. Nintendo have always excelled at giving their games longevity. Achievements/Trophies are ultimately pointless because you end up with terrible games selling themselves to Trophywhores with easy Platinums. I mean, that's what they're often use as: a weapon to sell crap games to idiots. Some of the things asked of you to get Achievements are so mundane that you're just wasting time that could be spent enjoying yourself with another game.

As a rule, I play a game, I finish it to the best of my abilities and that's me done. The Trophies are only any fun if the task is worth the effort in the first place. There were no such rewards in Super Mario Kart, but it didn't stop me wasting hours on my time trials.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:16 am

happyguy151 wrote:He added: "Basically, the way the games are designed is they're designed for you to explore the game yourself and have this sense of discovery. To that end, I think that when you look specifically at games from EAD and a lot of other games that Nintendo has developed as well, there are things you can do in the game that will result in some sort of reward or unexpected surprise
Good old Nintendo smugness.
A game that features Achievements and Trophies can't possibly contain a sense of discovery and unexpected surprise, can it? :roll:

If Nintendo ignore the growing trend towards online social interaction among mainstream gamers they'll come a cropper before too long. I've seen Achievements completely wreck a game and I've seen them enhance an average game into a superb one. How they're used is up to the developer but one thing that's undeniable by all but the most stubborn luddite is that the achievement/gamerscore/trophy mechanic sells games and lots of people like it. Nintendo ignore this at their peril.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:27 am

^ Yeah, I would agree; it depends very much on what the achievements are actually for. Getting achievements for just playing an online mode for X times is really kind of pathetic, whereas some of the ones in Fable 2 I remember being amusingly random ('The Goth' achievement for dressing completely in black was my favourite! :) ).

Like any other aspect of a game, it's just a case of good design versus bad.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:54 am

They're just another way of artificially increasing a game's lifespan.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:53 am

I like having them, evidence of your achievements if you will. Of course there's ways to easily boost your score but if you don't like them then just pay no attention to your total

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:22 am

Achievements eh? Strangely addictive, certainly. Never saw the point in them at first, but that was before I got a 360. Most of the time it's fun to keep playing however you do, then when the little message pops up you get a little bit excited - fun! Or you could be playing at night, and be thinking something like "I'll just keep playing till I get another achievement".

Like in Soul Calibur IV the other night when I suddenly got 20g or something for blocking 1000 times? Dunno what it is, but it adds something to the games...
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:23 am

Crunchy wrote: I've seen Achievements completely wreck a game and I've seen them enhance an average game into a superb one
While I agree of your sentiment to some level about Nintendos smugness, I fail to see how achievments can actually make an average game better. It isn't like they actually improve the gameplay at all.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:40 am

nakamura wrote:While I agree of your sentiment to some level about Nintendos smugness, I fail to see how achievments can actually make an average game better. It isn't like they actually improve the gameplay at all.
Case in point: Mega Drive Ultimate Collection.
A waste of disk space with maybe 75mb worth of ROMs? Or seeing how good you are at the old games, how fast you can get the Achievements?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:59 am

I'm indifferent towards achievements.

I don't really pay them much attention. Mostly they're ignored, though they have at least once caused me to replay a level: Quantum of Solace had a stealth achievement for getting through a section with only silent takedowns. I needn't have had a public acheivement for that though, just a suggestion in game that it was a possibility would have made me try it as I enjoy the game.

I never bothered much with unlockables before them. I don't care about extra character skins or other fripperies, what I want is more game content. If it gives me more levels, or new ways to play existing ones, I might give it a try, but public recognition isn't a factor.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:03 am

This game would be dull and boring without achievements. Actually, they really make the game, especially the witty commentary that comes with it. Not quite the same, but achievements do have a place in gaming.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:04 am

I'm pretty glad about that and I'm in agreement with the article. Trophies/Achievements are a waste of time, I don't hate them but they add very little to the experience for me.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:04 am

I like the idea. The problem is that so many of them are for literally achieving nothing at all! Fifa gives you 5g for uploading a photo for crying out loud!
They should be kept for actual gaming achievments, for skill based actions.

Let's look at a couple of older titles, Final Fantasy VII and 1080 on N64. On FFVII, an achievement for beating Emerald Weapon would be welcome as it was damn hard to do, even with strategy guides. 1080 could give one for simply getting a 1080! If I remember correctly it was damn hard to do.

The whole idea is good, the implimentation is poor. Too many pointless achieves makes it null and void. If there were just a few for each game I would be more inclinded to look through my friends.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:15 am

Achievements/Trophies do add something to a gameplay experience in that they give you goals to achieve. Assuming I complete a game's story, trophies will give me added incentive to play through it on a harder difficulty.

Nintendo have it right though, games like Mario Galaxy are so perfectly designed that trophies would add nothing. The moment that game's booted up I have the urge to get ALL of the starts, and all of them again. To get all the secret coins or all of those KONG letters.

Basically, Nintendo don't need achievements because their games already tempt you to explore and collect everything

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:19 am

C=Style wrote:I'm pretty glad about that and I'm in agreement with the article. Trophies/Achievements are a waste of time, I don't hate them but they add very little to the experience for me.
Same for me.
Logged out 15/07/2014.