Bizarre Creations axed.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ToxieDogg

Bizarre Creations axed.

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:01 pm

Heard something about this on the local news earlier, thought I'd check it out......

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/ldp ... -28026651/

Bizarre Creations, based in Speke, Liverpool, is being closed down. :( The article cites that it's to do with disappointing sales of Blur, but I'd also say that disappointing sales of 007: Blood Stone probably had a hand in it as well. A shame, as I really liked Blood Stone personally.

Obviously, Bizarre Creations are also responsible for games such as Project Gotham Racing.

Sad to see another well known and respected developer bite the dust. :(
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Sir Hilary Bray

Re: Bizarre Creations axed.

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:05 pm

I loved Blood Stone as well :(

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:09 pm

hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:19 pm

Eeek this news sucks. Bizarre Creations were one of our finest dev houses I thought. Though tbh, I felt they have been going downhill since BLUR. I just hope now the PGR rights lie with MS that they get a decent software house on the job. PGR 5 could be amazing.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:30 pm

I thought they died last year :oops:

Still to buy Blood Stone, but I don't suppose it'll help now.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:08 pm

A crying shame indeed. :-(

Will always remember them for their PS1 F1 games which were ace, bugs and all.

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:34 pm

:( , they also did Geometry Wars!!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:19 pm

IronMaidenRule wrote::( , they also did Geometry Wars!!
Yep. they're behind a lot of games I like....Geometry Wars, Metropolis Street Racer, Fur Fighters, even Boom Boom Rocket on XBLA.

A real shame to see them go. :(
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

James A

Post by James A » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:17 pm

One of my friends ive known since primary school works there so this is very bad news.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:33 am

Blur was/is bloody fantastic-Far more than the Mario Kart clone (it's more based on Wipeout weaponary wise) than the ads protrayed it as.Despite great reviews it never got the sales it deserved, my friends and i spent hours on there. (Online racing was superb total mayhem).

Never got into the Project Gotham series, but did love MSR at the time. Fur Fighters was'nt bad, The Club? Never tried, but friends of mine say if you could gel with it, it was'nt bad.

Really surprised Sony or someone did'nt throw them a rope, cash wise and get them developing exclusives for up coming hardware.

Sad to see thier loss-Lot of talent gone down the drain there. :cry:

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:55 am

thevulture wrote:Blur was/is bloody fantastic-Far more than the Mario Kart clone (it's more based on Wipeout weaponary wise) than the ads protrayed it as.Despite great reviews it never got the sales it deserved, my friends and i spent hours on there. (Online racing was superb total mayhem).
Bought Blur this morning, was £15 new in HMV. I loved the beta just never got round to buying the full game.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:17 am

Joey wrote:
thevulture wrote:Blur was/is bloody fantastic-Far more than the Mario Kart clone (it's more based on Wipeout weaponary wise) than the ads protrayed it as.Despite great reviews it never got the sales it deserved, my friends and i spent hours on there. (Online racing was superb total mayhem).
Bought Blur this morning, was £15 new in HMV. I loved the beta just never got round to buying the full game.
Works best as an online game, with group of friends.That's not to say the SP mode is by anymeans shabby, but game really comes into it's own online.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:25 am

No one would have predicted this a few years ago, once they left microsoft for activision they were only judged on sales I guess, take note bungie.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:56 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:No one would have predicted this a few years ago, once they left microsoft for activision they were only judged on sales I guess, take note bungie.
:? Not been following the legal side, but thought Bungie had only signed right of 1st refusal on their games for next few years, with Activision, they were still independant?. Or have i gotten wires crossed?.

But point you make is very valid, Activision seemed not to care of developers past history, they get 2 poor sellers and thats it, game over.

sack

Post by sack » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:13 am

Wiz 'n' Liz... never before or since has a game that was reputedly designed for children to play and enjoy caused so much swearing by teenagers and adults in 2-player mode.

'10...9...8... you... COMPLETE ... UTTER <redacted for taste reasons, but I'm sure anyone who has ever played the game can fill in this blank quite easily>.'

Geometry was was shedloads of fun, a big factor in me having to resit my computing degree was metropolis street racer. They just seemed to have a real handle on what would be fun in a game. It's a bloody shame to see the back of them
A9 00 8D 20 D0 8D 21 D0 60